Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How the MPAA Controls What You Think

How the MPAA Controls What You Think

Shane

"Jacetheace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > Please explain. Name the last movie that the MPAA forced a change on.
> >

> Kill Bill and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, actually.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/21/movies/21KILL.html

Hmm.....no mention of the MPAA forcing an edit.

Shane

"MR_ED_of_Course" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBBAD317.22EA1%(E-Mail Removed)...

> How is unrated just a marketing gimmick?

Unrated movies are usually movies with something from the cutting room floor
added back to the movie and - voila! - a "unrated" movie that didn't get
reviewed by the MPAA

jayembee

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"MR_ED_of_Course" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> How is unrated just a marketing gimmick?

>Unrated movies are usually movies with something from the cutting room floor
>added back to the movie and - voila! - a "unrated" movie that didn't get
>reviewed by the MPAA

In terms of DVDs, yes. But I think he was referring to movies that are
released theatrically as "unrated". In some cases, they haven't been
submitted to the MPAA; in other cases, they *were* submitted, got too
harsh a rating, and were released without it.

-- jayembee

Dr. Speedbyrd :>

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:34:13 -0500, "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jacetheace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>

>> > Please explain. Name the last movie that the MPAA forced a change on.
>> >

>> Kill Bill and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, actually.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/21/movies/21KILL.html

>Hmm.....no mention of the MPAA forcing an edit.

they did try to force it on Scarface and they did force it on Midnight Cowboy, admittedly quite a while ago.

SpeedByrd PhD

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Dr. Speedbyrd
:> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:34:13 -0500, "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Jacetheace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed). com...

> >> Kill Bill and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, actually.
> >>
> >> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/21/movies/21KILL.html

> >Hmm.....no mention of the MPAA forcing an edit.
> >

> they did try to force it on Scarface and they did force it on Midnight
> Cowboy, admittedly quite a while ago.

Midnight Cowboy was released with an X rating, then re-released with an
R wasn't it?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

jayembee

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> they did try to force it on Scarface and they did force it on Midnight
>> Cowboy, admittedly quite a while ago.
>>

>Midnight Cowboy was released with an X rating, then re-released with an
>R wasn't it?

Yes, same with A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. However, in both cases, both
versions of the films were in release at the same time. I know that in
the case of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, the "X" version was showing in Boston
while the "R" version was showing in the suburbs.

In later years, both movies were resubmitted to the MPAA and got "R"
ratings for their original "X" rated cuts, with no edits required.

-- jayembee

Richard C.

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmt0n0$q37nn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
: Mark Spatny wrote:
: > Mike Shea,(E-Mail Removed) says...
: >
: >>But the MPAA does censor what we see.
: >
: >
: > You do not understand what "censor" means. It involves the rule of law.
: > The MPAA has no legal ground to enforce whether a movie is released or
: > not, or it's content. It is a volluntary rating system. Therefore,
: > "censorship" is not happening.
:
: From dictionary.com Note definitions 3 and 4. So your point applies
: to definition 2 (and I suppose to definition 1) it doesn't apply to
: definition 3 or 4.
:
:
:
: \Cen"sor\, n. [L. censor, fr. censere to value, tax.] 1. (Antiq.) One of
: two magistrates of Rome who took a register of the number and property
: of citizens, and who also exercised the office of inspector of morals
: and conduct.
:
: 2. One who is empowered to examine manuscripts before they are committed
: to the press, and to forbid their publication if they contain anything
: obnoxious; -- an official in some European countries.
:
: 3. One given to fault-finding; a censurer.
:
: Nor can the most circumspect attention, or steady rectitude, escape
: blame from censors who have no inclination to approve. --Rambler.
:
: 4. A critic; a reviewer.
:
:
=================
So where are your definitions on the verb censor and on the word censorship?

Moviezzz

>they did try to force it on Scarface and they did force it on Midnight
>Cowboy, admittedly quite a while ago.

Nothing was forced on MIDNIGHT COWBOY. It was released with an X, back when
major studios had no problems releasing X rated films. It was later rated R
with no cuts.

Larry Gold

I cant understand why the Raiders Box Set is cut for R2 and for the USA its
uncut?
very strange

--
Larry.gold
Arsenal For Life

"Mike Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> [...]
> Controlling what you see ends up controlling what you say which ends
> up controlling what you think. Violence and sex are removed from
> movies because they are dangerous to children. What determines what
> violence is too extreme? What exactly is the danger? Is Fight Club a
> dangerous movie because it shows fist fights or is it is a dangerous
> movie because it speaks an anti-social message that the removal of
> violence from our society removes a piece of what we are? Is this not
> an important message? If it is dangerous, perhaps it is something that
> needs to be said.
>
> Violence and the method it is show in cannot be simply categorized
> into neat boxes of G, PG, PG-13, and R. Movies like "The Pianist" are
> far more disturbing than anything you will find in the comic book like
> "Kill Bill". Perhaps it is far more important for us to be disturbed
> over something as horrific as the holocaust, but the loss of innocence
> is just as damaging.
>
> Good movies cannot be easily categorized as "action", "drama", or
> "comedy". The best movies simply are what they are. Ratings are the
> same way. Trying to affix such a simple one letter rating to an art
> form that is as wide as life is impossible. Just because a movie says
> the word "****" or shows a bare breasted woman does not determine how
> disturbing the movie is or what audience it is intended for.
>
> Parents are responsible for what their children see. A responsible
> parent will watch or read up on any movie they plan to take their kids
> to see. Taking a 13 year old to see Kill Bill probably isn't wise, but
> in an age where the R rating is almost completely irrelevant, the
> rating alone cannot tell a parent what the content is.
>
> Far more dangerous is when the rating system is used to censor what we
> are allowed to see. When a beaurocrat from the MPAA decides that too
> much blood will give a movie like Desperado an NC-17 rating, they are
> controlling the content of the movie and controlling who is allowed to
> see it. Taking this idea to its next logical step would assign ratings
> to books and cutting out any violent or sexy books from our
> bookstores. Of course, who determines what amount of sex or violence
> or language is too "disturbing" for the public?
>
> Censorship is the abolishment of the freedom of speech and worse, the
> freedom to hear. I want to hear what people want to say. I want to see
> the films that people want to make. No middle man should stand between
> me and the material I want to experience. The Motion Pictures
> Association of America should abolish their worthless rating program
> and stick to simple reviews of the content of the movie. Movie
> theaters should show any movie they wish to show regardless of the
> content of the movie.
>
> No one should control what you see, what you say, or what you think.
> The Motion Picture Association of America is doing just that.

Biz

the BBC something or other uses their own ratings system, its different from
how the MPAA rates them, its not strange at all...Violence is seen as much
more taboo over in the UK, whereas nudity is not seen as quite as bad, just
the opposite of what we currently have in the MPAA.
news:7gClb.179$(E-Mail Removed)...