Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974) new DVD question

TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974) new DVD question

Dr.Nick Riviera

Can anyone who has actually seen the new dvd confirm that the transfer
is exactly the same as the old DVD which exibited the following
problems:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...wmassacre.html

I bought it hoping for an all new anamorphic transfer but haven't
opened it yet and will return it if I find out it is, in fact, what I
expect - a simple repackaging.

Dr. Nick

To e-mail: remove nospamplease from reply address

Wade365

<< I bought it hoping for an all new anamorphic transfer but haven't
opened it yet and will return it if I find out it is, in fact, what I
expect - a simple repackaging. >>

Generally it's printed somewhere on the package as anamorphic or "Enhanced for
widescreen TVs".

Dr.Nick Riviera

On 16 Oct 2003 16:19:42 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) wrote:

><< I bought it hoping for an all new anamorphic transfer but haven't
>opened it yet and will return it if I find out it is, in fact, what I
>expect - a simple repackaging. >>
>
>Generally it's printed somewhere on the package as anamorphic or "Enhanced for
>widescreen TVs".

Apparently you haven't seen the packaging. It's very vague. It lists
the transfer as "NEW" but uses the same exact wording as the old DVD
from a few years back leading me to believe it is, again, just a
repackaging of the old DVD. If you had the new one, you'd know what I
was talking about.

Dr. Nick

To e-mail: remove nospamplease from reply address

Wade365

In a different thread I was asking about the new issue of "Ninja Scroll" and
the WS version, because the story was originally framed for 4:3... someone else
piped in with the fact that yes, they are sort of pulling a "reverse P&S" and
re-cropping 4:3 so that they fit 16:9 screens, essentially eliminating the top
and or bottom of the frame and enlarging what's left over in order to fit the
screen.

If TCM was shot on 16mm and there is no way to make a proper WS print other
than the butchery described above, then I would avoid any version of TCM which
claims anamorphic content... but that's just me.

If it isn't re-cropped, has anyone at least seen the transfer to tell us if
it's any better than exsisting versions?

PW

> If it isn't re-cropped, has anyone at least seen the transfer to tell us if
> it's any better than exsisting versions?

I bought the new version (partly because it was cheaper than the
first...it was always $32.99 or higher at Best Buy), and I have never
seen the first DVD transfer, but the scene the Digital Bits makes
mention of,(the scene that is supposed to dissolve from the house to
the full moon, but instead the moon just "pops" up and there is no
dissolve, appears to be fixed on this version), however there are
still "lines" present in some parts of the print, especially towards
the end.

I think there will never really be a "superior" transfer of this film.
Yes, the laserdisc did look great, but it didn't look like a
widescreen David Lean epic either. According to the DB article, the
original 16mm print as stored very badly, and this I'm sure may have
contributed to the condition it is in now. I am not a die-hard fan of
the movie, but I enjoy watching it and am glad to have this version on
DVD.

Hope this helps,

PW