Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Typical Best Buy

Typical Best Buy

Tarkus

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:04:00 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> In article <szvsgkdtvs8v$(E-Mail Removed)9.com> in
> alt.video.dvd, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>You know, not everything that doesn't go your way is a conspiracy.

> I bet they made you say that.

Shhh!
--
"Time is not important, only life is important"

Now playing: "UFO - Only You Can Rock Me"

Angry Gamer

On 15 Oct 2003 13:10:15 -0500, Lord Vader III
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
>Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
>was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
>ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
>Full-Screen down our throats.
>
>LVIII

Stores just don't get it. I work at Walmart and we put out 1000
copies of widescreen and 1000 copies of FF at midnight. When I went
in today (Wed) we had 321 lbx left and 961 ff left. Whoever does the
purchasing just can't seem to understand that people want LBX. We
have 200+ copies of FF Italian Job and are totally out of LBX Italian
Job and at least 8 customers left ****ED and WITHOUT a copy today when
I had to tell them all we had was FF.

We got in 5 HUGE boxes of the Indy Jones box set today. One box is
LBX and 4 boxes are FF. I already stashed my LBX copy under the
register cause I know the LBX are going to be gone by 12:05am next
Tue. Will be interesting to see how many disgruntled people break
down and buy the FF out of desperation.

Eric R.

Lord Vader III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
> Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
> was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
> ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
> Full-Screen down our throats.

They probably had more fullscreen versions because noone is buying the damn things.

-Eric

Tarkus

On 16 Oct 2003 06:08:28 -0700, Eric R. wrote:

> They probably had more fullscreen versions because noone is buying the
> damn things.

Peter?
--
"I'm scared to close my eyes. I'm scared to open them."

Now playing: the radio

Wade365

<< Will be interesting to see how many disgruntled people break
down and buy the FF out of desperation. >>

That's assuming anyone's DESPARATE for this over-blown set... jeez. Would
anyone really do something like that if they were into widescreen, ever? C'mon.
I'd be worried if it were Criterion, but this is Spielberg and Lucas (and
paramount?) we're talking about here.

Jordan Lund

Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bmkp7m$o42ci$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...

> My daughter called me last night to tell me that ALL of the bonus disk
> widescreen versions were sold out at her bestbuy (Syracuse NY) but they
> still had plenty of full screen bonus disk versions. So when I went
> this morning to my bestbuy to get them for three of us, I had to look
> through the display case at the front of the store through about 50
> copies to find 3 bonus disk widescreen copies. They had many more full
> screen bonus disk copies. And they had more with no bonus disk than
> they did with bonus disk.

It makes sense when you think about it... the people who prefer
widescreen are going to be more likely to want the bonus disc. The
people who don't want widescreen could probably care less.

- Jordan

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wade365
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> << Will be interesting to see how many disgruntled people break
> down and buy the FF out of desperation. >>
>
> That's assuming anyone's DESPARATE for this over-blown set... jeez. Would
> anyone really do something like that if they were into widescreen, ever?
> C'mon.

I'd rent the FF version if it was all they had (just as I don't mind
watching films on tv with comercials), but I'd just wait and buy the
LBX version later.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Peter

Angry Gamer wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2003 13:10:15 -0500, Lord Vader III
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Stores just don't get it. I work at Walmart and we put out 1000
> copies of widescreen and 1000 copies of FF at midnight. When I went
> in today (Wed) we had 321 lbx left and 961 ff left. Whoever does the
> purchasing just can't seem to understand that people want LBX. We
> have 200+ copies of FF Italian Job and are totally out of LBX Italian
> Job and at least 8 customers left ****ED and WITHOUT a copy today when
> I had to tell them all we had was FF.
>
> We got in 5 HUGE boxes of the Indy Jones box set today. One box is
> LBX and 4 boxes are FF. I already stashed my LBX copy under the
> register cause I know the LBX are going to be gone by 12:05am next
> Tue. Will be interesting to see how many disgruntled people break
> down and buy the FF out of desperation.

Thats how it was when I got Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
There were litterally TONS of fullscreen copies everywhere, in large
displays, on skids etc. There was one small display of Widescreen, and
they were mostly gone.

--
At the source of every error which is blamed on the
computer you will find at least two human errors,

JWB

news:bmnis8$1cu$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Angry Gamer wrote:
> > On 15 Oct 2003 13:10:15 -0500, Lord Vader III
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Stores just don't get it. I work at Walmart and we put out 1000
> > copies of widescreen and 1000 copies of FF at midnight. When I went
> > in today (Wed) we had 321 lbx left and 961 ff left. Whoever does the
> > purchasing just can't seem to understand that people want LBX. We
> > have 200+ copies of FF Italian Job and are totally out of LBX Italian
> > Job and at least 8 customers left ****ED and WITHOUT a copy today when
> > I had to tell them all we had was FF.
> >
> > We got in 5 HUGE boxes of the Indy Jones box set today. One box is
> > LBX and 4 boxes are FF. I already stashed my LBX copy under the
> > register cause I know the LBX are going to be gone by 12:05am next
> > Tue. Will be interesting to see how many disgruntled people break
> > down and buy the FF out of desperation.

> Thats how it was when I got Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
> There were litterally TONS of fullscreen copies everywhere, in large
> displays, on skids etc. There was one small display of Widescreen, and
> they were mostly gone.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that some people complain about
"black bars" when they buy a widescreen copy, but nobody complains about no
black bars (since the widescreen crowd doesn't ever buy the wrong copy, and
even if they do, they'd quietly exchange it)

People who prefer fullscreen are probably a minority, but to retailer's
customer service departments, they might appear to be a vocal majority.

Wade365

I think it's sorta funny, all the fullscreen versions... at some point, just
like Beta, just like the turntable (neither of which is COMPLETELY exstinct but
you get the idea) these 4:3 televisions will fade out... and then all the
people who purchased fullscreen versions "back in the day" will be ****ed that
they're getting ripped off by the new standard...

"Those black bars on the sides of my screen...!"

If you fail to plan...