Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What's a good source for Hong Kong & Japanese DVDs?

What's a good source for Hong Kong & Japanese DVDs?

Ray Tracer

Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

Thanks,
Neal

Wade365

<< Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops? >>

I've ordered three Godzilla discs from hivizone.com and the service was fairly
fast for shipping a half-globe away, quite satisfied with the product but the
selection isn't huge and anamorphic or other DVD features like DTS are hit &
miss... CDJapan has excellent service for Japanese DVDs but be prepared to pay
(and don't expect subtitles, unless you read Japanese of course).

Joshua Zyber

"Ray Tracer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBB1F0AD.2CEEC%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
> prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

Japan:
www.cdjapan.co.jp

Hong Kong:
www.hivizone.com

Some people like DDDHouse for their low prices. Personally, I had a
horrible customer service experience with them and won't use them again.
HiViZone is usually within a dollar of DDDHouse's prices on almost any
disc, and their service is much better.

SpeedByrd PhD.

On 15 Oct 2003 00:59:13 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) wrote:

><< Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
>prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops? >>
>
>I've ordered three Godzilla discs from hivizone.com and the service was fairly
>fast for shipping a half-globe away, quite satisfied with the product but the
>selection isn't huge and anamorphic or other DVD features like DTS are hit &
>miss... CDJapan has excellent service for Japanese DVDs but be prepared to pay
>(and don't expect subtitles, unless you read Japanese of course).

I got "Rodan", 'Godzilla", and 'Gigantis, the Fire Monster' from CD Japan within 1.5 weeks of ordering. It's
true there are no bargains and no subtitles, but if you've seen the American versions, you don't need
subtitles and you can never go back. Great discs!

SpeedByrd PhD

Codswallop

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:27:42 GMT, Ray Tracer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
> prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

Yes, dddhouse.com are great IMO. Very cheap, though shipping is a bit
expensive.

I recently ordered HK$550 worth of DVDs, and the shipping was HK$170 on
top of that. I ordered on October 2nd, shipped on the 8th and it
arrived on the 14th to Australia.

They've never stuffed up an order, though their response to email is
rather slow (1-3 days IME) and may be a problem should something bad
happen.

Just make sure you order the DVD if that's what you're after (not the
VCD), and check that it has English subtitles if you need them; not all
don't. Actually, one I ordered last year said it had English subs on
the website, but when I received it, the cover said nothing about
English subs. Luckily it actually DOES have English subs.

Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

--
- Cods

(E-Mail Removed)
(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Joshua Zyber

"Codswallop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
> with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
> ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

Ordered a DVD that was said to be in stock from them. No shipping notice
two weeks later. Emailed them repeatedly (always politely) over the
course of the next week. After about the 5th day they responded, "Out of
Stock. Will ship next week." A week comes and goes, no shipment notice.
Emailed for several more days until the response, "Still out of stock.
Will ship next week." Meanwhile, I discover that numerous people who
ordered the same disc weeks after I did were shipped as soon as stock
came in, and somehow I've been shafted back to the end of the wait list
with no explanation. Waited another week and the same thing happens.
Finally I cancelled the order, went to HiViZone instead, and had the
disc shipped the next day.

Codswallop

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:47:08 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>> Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
>> with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
>> ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

> Ordered a DVD that was said to be in stock from them [and was never
> shipped].

Sounds sort of like DVD Soon doesn't it? I think if I ever get in the
same situation (i.e. DVD not in stock at DDD House), I'll just remove
that DVD from the order. Still, I might suggest you try from them
again, as you may find they're better this time around.

Thanks for the info, though.

--
- Cods

(E-Mail Removed)
(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Ray Tracer

in article Xns9415915525FD9codswallopcom@139.132.1.4, Codswallop at
(E-Mail Removed) thus spake on 10/14/03 11:17 PM:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:47:08 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>
>>> Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
>>> with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
>>> ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

>> Ordered a DVD that was said to be in stock from them [and was never
>> shipped].

> Sounds sort of like DVD Soon doesn't it? I think if I ever get in the
> same situation (i.e. DVD not in stock at DDD House), I'll just remove
> that DVD from the order. Still, I might suggest you try from them
> again, as you may find they're better this time around.
>
> Thanks for the info, though.

Yes, indeed. Everyone....thanks for the info! By the way, I see at DDDHouse
that they show their DVDs as 'Code' 3. I'm assuming that's simply how they
translate 'Region' back into English?

Again, thanks. Expecting to place a test order or three sometime soon. Hope
everything goes as well as most of your experiences. Fingers crossed.

Neal
--
"Is Graham Chapman really dead or is he just being difficult?" - Eric Idle

Codswallop

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:39:32 GMT, Ray Tracer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> Yes, indeed. Everyone....thanks for the info! By the way, I see at
> DDDHouse that they show their DVDs as 'Code' 3. I'm assuming that's
> simply how they translate 'Region' back into English?
>
> Again, thanks. Expecting to place a test order or three sometime soon.
> Hope everything goes as well as most of your experiences. Fingers
> crossed.

Code 3 is the rating, isn't it? All of their DVDs are Region 3 or "All"
region.

--

> Sounds sort of like DVD Soon doesn't it? I think if I ever get in the
> same situation (i.e. DVD not in stock at DDD House), I'll just remove
> that DVD from the order. Still, I might suggest you try from them
> again, as you may find they're better this time around.

It wasn't so much the disc's lack of availability that bothered me so
much as their continual lying about when it would ship, followed by
their completion of other people's orders before mine even though I
placed the order first. That's not what I consider a reputable business
model.

> (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Ooh, this is a good idea! I like that.

Hong Kong VOIP Johnathan Smith UK VOIP 3 08-23-2005 08:34 AM
ESD's Hong Kong Case Mod @ Mistix.co.uk Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-28-2005 04:42 PM
Anyone know a Hong Kong virtual number provider? Alex VOIP 0 11-06-2004 08:03 AM
MCSE in Hong Kong =?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBEb25n?= MCSE 26 10-22-2004 02:54 PM
Hong Kong/Asian/Japanese DVDs? Where to Order (Canadian Source) Lucas Tam DVD Video 5 10-19-2003 06:45 AM

Advertisments