Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Down With Love?

Down With Love?

Peter Briggs

Tallulah Blanket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No, we get it alright and that's the problem. It was beyond obvious and
> completely unnecessary, given that that Hudson-Day films were pretty
> good satires all on their own.

Personally, I always found them unwatchable....maybe that's why I
enjoyed this so much!

Peter Briggs

anthony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, my wife and I have watched Pillow Talk half a dozen times at
> least, and we saw Down with Love as a really affectionate and witty
> take-off which didn't take away from the original in the least, and
> worked really well on its own terms.
> We really enjoyed Down with Love on the big screen, and we'll probably
> get it on DVD.

Worth it, just for the end title tune being presented separately!

Joshua Zyber

"Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1g2vhbi.1rhxqbc7ky76cN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinesc ribe.demon.co.uk...
> > > Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that

> > it's
> > > really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

> > Slyly? Every frame of the movie screamed, "HEY, WE'RE SPOOFING DORIS

DAY
> > AND ROCK HUDSON!! AREN'T WE CLEVER?!"

> I didn't mean visually, Josh. (

Errr.... Then, what did you mean?

Steve Hanson

Peter Briggs wrote in
<1g2qcb8.1u93bkaou7ywwN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe .demon.co.uk>:

>Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
>night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
>scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
>
>Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
>here hated it.

It was super. Didn't I comment on this before? I thought we argued
about whether or not Zellweger was miscast.

azzure@olypen.com

Peter Briggs wrote:
> Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
> here hated it.

We really wanted to like this movie. The photography, the colo(u)rs,
the quality of actors; it just seemed right. It just never worked for
my wife and I.
The gags always seemed to be taken just a little farther than they
required.
A superficial parody of superficial movies makes it difficult to care
for the outcome of any particular character.
The two "sidekicks" were more enjoyable than the leads. Although Renee
and Ewan did well with what they were given to do. Not to knock it all,
some scenes went very well. I just didn't like the script.
1.5 out of 4 (Stars, that is) IMHO

Mike

Peter Briggs

Joshua Zyber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I didn't mean visually, Josh. (

> Errr.... Then, what did you mean?

I think the best way to answer that is to listen to director Peyton
Reed's first five minutes on the commentary track (which I listened to
yesterday, and also thoroughly enjoyed.)

Peter Briggs

Steve Hanson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It was super. Didn't I comment on this before? I thought we argued
> about whether or not Zellweger was miscast.

You did, we did. But, by that token you could argue that McGregor was
similarly miscast for being no "Rock". You just have to take this
movie's (un)reality as being its own.

(And, again, I loved Zelwegger in this...although it looked as if she'd
put on a couple of pounds since Chicago. Maybe the "Down With Love,
Stage 3, Chocolate Diet"? <g>)

Very worrying. I watched it with a girlfriend, and she turned to me and
said: "Oh, YOU'RE Catcher Block". I may have to reappraise my image...

Peter Briggs

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just didn't like the script.

That's funny -- I loved the script!

news:1g2x6y2.ooipmi1qaxu9sN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinesc ribe.demon.co.uk...
> (And, again, I loved Zelwegger in this...although it looked as if

she'd
> put on a couple of pounds since Chicago. Maybe the "Down With Love,
> Stage 3, Chocolate Diet"? <g>)

More likely the "They're paying me $20 million to put on weight for
Bridget Jones 2" diet.

azzure@olypen.com

Peter Briggs wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just didn't like the script.

> That's funny -- I loved the script!

Well, that's nice. Of course it could have been the direction.
Something just didn't click for me and it was time spent with something
not quite worthy of the time (uh, spent!).

I often enjoy what you have to say about movies, I'm just surprised that
I don't enjoy more of your choices. I would give examples but I
wouldn't want to be a daredevil.

Mike