Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Down With Love?

Down With Love?

Peter Briggs

Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)

Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
here hated it.

Windbag1000

>Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
>night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
>scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
>
>Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
>here hated it.

It seemed to love itself so much that I didn't have to -- and good thing, too,
'cause I definitely hated it.

Hitman of Las Vegas

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:19:26 +0100,
pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote:

>Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
>here hated it.

I walked out after 30 minutes. It's remarkable that it is passes
itself off as a homage to Hudson-Day romantic comedies, yet seems to
have been made by people have have never actually seen one.

Tallulah Blanket

Peter Briggs wrote:
> Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
> night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
> scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
>
> Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
> here hated it.

I turned it off after 1hr and put in Pillow Talk instead. Why settle
for cheap, needless imitations when you can watch the real thing. It
didn't help that Zellweger and MacGregor had zero chemistry. I suspect
the director was too interested in getting the sets right to bother
about the actors or the script.

Mark

The Wife and I loved it - suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it seems to
be the trick.
Mark.
"Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1g2qcb8.1u93bkaou7ywwN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinesc ribe.demon.co.uk...
> Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
> night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
> scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
>
> Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
> here hated it.

Peter Briggs

Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The Wife and I loved it - suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it seems to
> be the trick.

Ah, well. Three "hates" to 1 "love", so far. (Or, 2 if you count me!)

Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that it's
really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

Joshua Zyber

"Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1g2tj7q.1kroajovuq7z0N%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinesc ribe.demon.co.uk...
> Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that

it's
> really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

Slyly? Every frame of the movie screamed, "HEY, WE'RE SPOOFING DORIS DAY
AND ROCK HUDSON!! AREN'T WE CLEVER?!"

anthony

Well, my wife and I have watched Pillow Talk half a dozen times at
least, and we saw Down with Love as a really affectionate and witty
take-off which didn't take away from the original in the least, and
worked really well on its own terms.
We really enjoyed Down with Love on the big screen, and we'll probably
get it on DVD.

Tallulah Blanket

Peter Briggs wrote:
> Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>The Wife and I loved it - suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it seems to
>>be the trick.

> Ah, well. Three "hates" to 1 "love", so far. (Or, 2 if you count me!)
>
> Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that it's
> really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

No, we get it alright and that's the problem. It was beyond obvious and
completely unnecessary, given that that Hudson-Day films were pretty
good satires all on their own.

Peter Briggs

Joshua Zyber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1g2tj7q.1kroajovuq7z0N%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinesc ribe.demon.co.uk...
> > Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that

> it's
> > really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

> Slyly? Every frame of the movie screamed, "HEY, WE'RE SPOOFING DORIS DAY
> AND ROCK HUDSON!! AREN'T WE CLEVER?!"

I didn't mean visually, Josh. (THAT much was obvious! I liked the
stylized mattes, BTW)