Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Suggest Drive DVD ROM + CD ROM and CD+G (Karaoke)

Suggest Drive DVD ROM + CD ROM and CD+G (Karaoke)

Thunder9

I want to play DVDs. And listen to music. And sing karaoke! All
from my computer. So I'm looking for a combo rom drive.

Nice to have's:
Good at ripping CD's (ie can read all extended data)
Good at ripping DVD's (ie supports multiple formats)

I'll do my *writable* drive separate, but I'd like a good quality
($150 or less) DVD/CD ROM that also features CD+G (karaoke)

Any suggestions?

Pointers to web sites that let me see DVD/CD *ROM* drives that have
CD+G?

Regards,
Thunder9

Thunder9

Can anyone recommend a good DVD ROM drive that also does CD+G?

Also "nice to have" would be good at ripping CD's and DVD's would be
nice (ie supports extended CD data, multiple DVD formats).

I'd really appreciate a link to a good site that rates DVD ROMS or
even just lists a lot of DVD ROMs along with their supported features.

Regards,
Thunder9

JAD

Plextor PX-320A PlexCombo DVD/CD-RW IDE MMC
Sony CRX700E CD/DVD-RW IDE MM

"Thunder9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a good DVD ROM drive that also does CD+G?
>
> Also "nice to have" would be good at ripping CD's and DVD's would be
> nice (ie supports extended CD data, multiple DVD formats).
>
> I'd really appreciate a link to a good site that rates DVD ROMS or
> even just lists a lot of DVD ROMs along with their supported features.
>
> Regards,
> Thunder9

Thunder9

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:27:03 GMT, "JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Thunder9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can anyone recommend a good DVD ROM drive that also does CD+G?
>>
>> Also "nice to have" would be good at ripping CD's and DVD's would be
>> nice (ie supports extended CD data, multiple DVD formats).
>>
>> I'd really appreciate a link to a good site that rates DVD ROMS or
>> even just lists a lot of DVD ROMs along with their supported features.
>>

>Plextor PX-320A PlexCombo DVD/CD-RW IDE MMC
>Sony CRX700E CD/DVD-RW IDE MM

I'm actually looking for DVD ROM + CD ROM. Hopefully to reduce price
and/or increase "ripping" feature set. (I already have a writable CD
drive.)

Thanks,
Thunder9

JAD

Sony DDU220E DVD IDE MMC

all well No all DVDrom that I know of are CD compatible the one above is +G

"Thunder9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:27:03 GMT, "JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Thunder9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Can anyone recommend a good DVD ROM drive that also does CD+G?
> >>
> >> Also "nice to have" would be good at ripping CD's and DVD's would be
> >> nice (ie supports extended CD data, multiple DVD formats).
> >>
> >> I'd really appreciate a link to a good site that rates DVD ROMS or
> >> even just lists a lot of DVD ROMs along with their supported features.
> >>

> >Plextor PX-320A PlexCombo DVD/CD-RW IDE MMC
> >Sony CRX700E CD/DVD-RW IDE MM
> >

> I'm actually looking for DVD ROM + CD ROM. Hopefully to reduce price
> and/or increase "ripping" feature set. (I already have a writable CD
> drive.)
>
> Thanks,
> Thunder9

Rick

"Thunder9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to play DVDs. And listen to music. And sing karaoke! All
> from my computer. So I'm looking for a combo rom drive.
>
> Nice to have's:
> Good at ripping CD's (ie can read all extended data)
> Good at ripping DVD's (ie supports multiple formats)
>
> I'll do my *writable* drive separate, but I'd like a good quality
> ($150 or less) DVD/CD ROM that also features CD+G (karaoke)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Pointers to web sites that let me see DVD/CD *ROM* drives that have
> CD+G?
>
> Regards,
> Thunder9

Liteon 166s about $40 at Walmart.

CDRLabs for reviews http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/

Skid

LiteOn makes some really fast and really cheap rippers. I have been using
one for a couple of years now and recommend it highly. This model is on sale
at www.newegg.com for $34 with free shipping:

LITE-ON XJ-HD166S/XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive - Retail
Specifications:
Speed VD-ROM 16X (6.4X~16X) - CD-ROM 48X (20X~48X)
Interface : ATAPI-E/IDE
Sustained Transfer Rate : Support up to Ultra-DMA/33 33.3MB/sec
Burst Transfer Rate : Support up to Ultra-DMA/33 33.3MB/sec
Access Time : 120ms (typical)
MTBF : 70'000 Power On Hours with 20% Duty
Supported OS: DOS 6.xx, Windows 95/98/NT/2000/
Comes with Audio Cable, Manual and Power DVD Software.

news:Lnpib.8588$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...