Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New Releases: Rod Steiger films, Golden Pond SE: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

New Releases: Rod Steiger films, Golden Pond SE: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

karlpov

Problem is that Artisan continues to release good movies available
nowhere else. Sometimes the releases are good.

I am amazed that they still go for pan&scan on unpredictable
occasions, and I despise the have-it-both-ways announcement they put
on the cover (first they claim the film's been adapted from its
original format, then that the standard version is the original
format, each of which is true in some cases, the other being false).

Image or Anchor Bay are always more reliable than Artisan, but Image
puts out rather little worthwhile content these days (there are
notable exceptions), and Anchor Bay can't handle everything.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:25:20 -0500, "Jim Hollis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released by Artisan. We
>all know they release junk copies and have managed to pretty well screw up
>everything they've touched. The less mention the better as maybe this will
>translate to less sales for them and the eventual heave ho given to whatever
>functional illiterate is runing their operation.

jayembee

karlpov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Problem is that Artisan continues to release good movies available
>nowhere else. Sometimes the releases are good.
>
>I am amazed that they still go for pan&scan on unpredictable
>occasions, and I despise the have-it-both-ways announcement they put
>on the cover (first they claim the film's been adapted from its
>original format, then that the standard version is the original
>format, each of which is true in some cases, the other being false).

The problem I have with Artisan is their deceptive disclaimers
regarding ratio. They'll often refer to their fullscreen releases as
being in "the ratio in which the film was shot". This is simply
twisting the facts to suit their purpose.

Anyone knowledgable about how films are made knows that matted
widescreen films are *shot* in Academy Ratio, even though they're
*composed* for, and intended to be seen in, a wider ratio.

But anyone without such knowledge would assume from the disclaimer
that the film in question was intended to be fullscreen, which is
often not the case.

-- jayembee