Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ??? about Macrovision

??? about Macrovision

SpeedByrd PhD.

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:05:24 GMT, Copy it <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11 Oct 2003 11:00:53 -0500, SpeedByrd PhD. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Or better yet, leave the ****ing disc alone! There's no reason to defeat the macrovision except in the minds
>>of the cheap and common pirates on this group!

>Waaah, waaah, waaah, waaah, waaah, waaah, waaah!

You should take a little time and learn the keyboard before you tackle newsgroups.

SpeedByrd PhD

Ura Dippschitt

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
SpeedByrd PhD. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> BWWWWAHAHAHAAAAA!!

Thinks he's funny and laughs at himself after spending all day telling
others what to do. Definately a sad piece of ****.

Wade365

Why don't people just answer questions around here instead of acting all
Masonic with their information?

A friend of mine in the video duplication biz told me that Macrovision is
simply the tape (or a carrier signal on the tape) telling the output of the
play deck to issue the signal way too hot... what this does is fritz out the
input of the receiving deck because the gain (input setting) on most consumer
decks is controlled by automatic means - when the signal is too hot the
receiving deck sits there and tries to find an appropriate setting for the gain
but it can't, back and forth across the input range it DOES allow endlessly
trying to find a decent setting... hence the video quality "breathes" or goes
light to dark to light again (which is the receiving machine trying to
assimilate the input).

He also told me that in SOME machines (a small percentage) there are actually
dipswitches (and again, this was years ago) or if you know your way around the
guts of a machine, you could disable this circuit... barring that, what you
need is an image stabilizer which will regulate the input of your record deck,
really it's just an electronic device known as a Pad which reduces the input
signal so that it's more in the range accepted by the record deck's autogain
circuit - unfortunately, what I describe here is not what they sell in stores
anymore, by the way. I bought a little black box years ago called an "RXII VCR
to VCR" (a Tandy product I think) which has a big ol' warning on it that it's
not to be used for copying copyrighted materials (wink*wink). It stablizes
pictures of all kinds (simple RCA in and out) and I've been able to make
back-ups for years but this sort of thing was removed from the shelves and what
they sell now wouldn't stablize a toy boat if you tied it to the keel, so don't
bother running out to your local Circ. City to get one... the ones they make
now are watered down law-abidin' hunks of crappolla for tranfering home movies
and stuff and they only "sharpen" the picture.

All of this being said, the post about shelling out for films and programs you
want is absolutely correct... I have a little gizmo that will do what you want
it to do but I STILL PAY FOR STUFF I WANT ON DVD. The argument of "But it'll
never be aired again" or "this was a once in a lifetime tape" doesn't hold
water either... if they're getting "Sanford & Son" out in full seasons
anything... ANYTHING you could possibly be looking for will be issued eventally
as well.

Piracy is piracy, just remember that... you know if you're doing it you're
taking money away from the person or persons legally entitled to it and that is
a crime... imagine if you were owed $20 but instead of paying you the person
just kept cranking out $20 bills and spending them... you'd be ****ed and want
it shut down, right? "Gimme my DAMNED $20" you'd say, and you would be
completely correct in your convictions. If all of these hundreds of VHS tapes
were Betamax you'd still have to live with the decision you made. Sorry you got
into buying VHS (much like I pity the folks who bought their LP collection and
now complain about CD re-issues) and the formats changed, but it's the price
you pay for being a collector of any kind... you never know, VHS might become
collectible like LPs have (in fact, I kow I could probably get a pretty penny
for some of the films I've bought like "From Beyond" because the rights are in
limbo, the tape is 'out-of-print' and it's not going ot be re-issued on home
video for a long time). Hang onto them, but if you want the super-spiv new
technology save up your paper route money and indulge your habit when you have
the sheckle in-pocket.

And please stop calling each other names (although I gotta remember the "If I
Had $20 I could Have Been Your Dad" - That was a good'n!).

Next Caller.

Thomas Tornblom

Another problem that I've not seen mentioned here is the fact that
some projectors, like my old Sony VPH-722 (CRT) unit, can't handle
Macrovision. It too has the same type AGC control as VCR:s, and I had
to buy a Macrovision hacked DVD-player to be able to use it.

And no, replacing the projector just for the fun of being able to use
a Macrovision enabled player is not an acceptable solution.

Thomas

DarkMatter

On 12 Oct 2003 19:22:14 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) Gave us:

>Why don't people just answer questions around here instead of acting all
>Masonic with their information?

**** you! You retarded pirate ****!

DarkMatter

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:47:29 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
<(E-Mail Removed)-to-reply> Gave us:

>And no, replacing the projector just for the fun of being able to use
>a Macrovision enabled player is not an acceptable solution.

Looks like yer ****ed then, asswipe.

Frode

not@nomail.com

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:32:16 GMT, Chim Bubba <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11 Oct 2003 11:00:53 -0500, SpeedByrd PhD. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Or better yet, leave the ****ing disc alone! There's no reason to defeat the macrovision except in the minds
>>of the cheap and common pirates on this group!
>>

>You dont get it!
>He has some older VHS tapes that he wants to backup to dvd with his
>recorder. Not dvd's that he wants to copy. What should he do about the
>VHS tapes then?

Thank all of you except the byrd for your help. Now I've got one that I
made myself with an old VHS camcorder, and it's giving me the message
that copying of the material is not allowed. That's from a tape I made
myself back in 1992. The picture jumps up and down on the screen a bit,
and after recording a few minutes it stops recording and brings up the
message. I have a copy of it that seems to record fine, but the original
doesn't suck quite as bad as the copy...at least it sux in a different way

not@nomail.com

On 11 Oct 2003 11:00:53 -0500, SpeedByrd PhD. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Or better yet, leave the ****ing disc alone! There's no reason to defeat the macrovision except in the minds
>of the cheap and common pirates on this group!

So you don't copy any copyrighted material, and feel that no one
else should either? Is that it? Or is some okay to copy and some not?
Is it okay to make a tape of an album, but not okay to copy a music
video or movie? Or is it just not okay to copy something protected
by Macrovision? What if we even go so far as to make a copy of
some copyrighted material for someone we love, who we know would
love the material? Being a self recognized authority on the morals of
recording, what can and can't we record without shaming ourselves?

luminos

You have a defective unit.

New Photoshop CS Contains Macrovision Spyware Rick Digital Photography 411 01-20-2005 09:23 PM
Macrovision Right or Wrong? JethroUK© DVD Video 132 09-05-2003 11:24 AM
Re: Macrovision Spot DVD Video 1 09-01-2003 12:31 AM
Code Free macrovision free dvd player xwing Man DVD Video 0 08-22-2003 01:07 PM
REQ:Macrovision hack ALBA 109 BIG J DVD Video 0 08-16-2003 07:47 PM

Advertisments