Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > I AM THRU WITH DVDPLANET!!!!!!!

I AM THRU WITH DVDPLANET!!!!!!!

Brandon Fisher

news:bmafhq$fid$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
> and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
> find DVD's.
> I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and motar
> is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
mortar store.

Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store and buy
all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

Wade365

<< I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day. >>

Can I get an "ahmen"?

Dick Sidbury

Brandon Fisher wrote:
> Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
> mortar store.
>
> Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
> deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store

I assume that you mean online here.

> and buy
> all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
> stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
> catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

That's more or less my strategy.

dick

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bmafhq$fid$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
>> and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
>> find DVD's.
>> I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and motar
>> is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

>Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
>mortar store.

One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
shipping and there's no contest.

Besides the titles I buy are simply not available in the store in
Canada, such as the Kino and and most Image releases.

. Steve .

>Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
>deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store and buy
>all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
>stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
>catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

David E. Bath

In article <Tcgib.94319$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Brandon Fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
> mortar store.
>
> Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
> deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store and buy
> all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
> stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
> catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

I now buy any "big" release via Best Buy online, you get free shipping
and the exact same price as they sell it for in their stores. But if
you preorder, don't let their non-discounted prices scare you. I
ordered Matrix Reloaded from them at their listed $19.99, but they
shipped it at $14.99. I do this even though there is a Best Buy 20
miles from my house just for the convenience.

Frank Malczewski

Steve(JazzHunter) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:bmafhq$fid$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
> >mortar store.

> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
> shipping and there's no contest.

You left out sales tax...

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:10:01 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Frank
Malczewski) wrote:

>Steve(JazzHunter) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:bmafhq$fid$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
>> >mortar store.

>> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
>> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
>> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
>> shipping and there's no contest.

>You left out sales tax...

Yes, I forgot that. Ordering online also means not paying the sales
tax if using a seller outside Ontario. Purchases form Quebec charge
GST 7% but not provicial tax, no shipping costs even on single discs,
and the prices often beat the Bricks and Mortar shops anway.
. Steve .

Mac Breck

"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:bmafhq$fid$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
> >> and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
> >> find DVD's.
> >> I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and

motar
> >> is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

> >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick

and
> >mortar store.

> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
> shipping and there's no contest.

Unless the DVD manufacturer's DVD set packaging is crap, doesn't hold the
DVDs on the hubs during shipping, and the chances of you getting your DVD
set in the mail, with all the DVDs **on their hubs** and **unscratched** is
oh, around **0%**. Then, it's much easier to go to a brick & mortar store,
open a set **in the store**, inspect it for loose/scratched DVDs, and just
do that until you find an unscratched set, and buy it.

Been there, done that. Saves endless round trips in the mail, and endless
calls to customer support 800#, where you almost never get to talk to a
human being, and sit on hold listening to California "happy music" for 1/2
hr. before you're automatically cut off and told to call back at a less busy
time. (Hint: There *is* no less busy time. It's *always* like that.) Once,
I had to wait through 2.8 of those 30 minute wait cycles to get through to
the customer "service" rep.

Instead, I'd rather drive to Wal-Mart. Much, much less hassle.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

Steve(JazzHunter)

On 13 Oct 2003 12:43:13 GMT, "Mac Breck" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:bmafhq$fid$(E-Mail Removed)...

>motar
>> >
>> >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick

>and
>> >mortar store.

>> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
>> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
>> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
>> shipping and there's no contest.

>Unless the DVD manufacturer's DVD set packaging is crap, doesn't hold the
>DVDs on the hubs during shipping, and the chances of you getting your DVD
>set in the mail, with all the DVDs **on their hubs** and **unscratched** is
>oh, around **0%**. Then, it's much easier to go to a brick & mortar store,
>open a set **in the store**, inspect it for loose/scratched DVDs, and just
>do that until you find an unscratched set, and buy it.
>
>Been there, done that. Saves endless round trips in the mail, and endless
>calls to customer support 800#, where you almost never get to talk to a
>human being, and sit on hold listening to California "happy music" for 1/2
>hr. before you're automatically cut off and told to call back at a less busy
>time. (Hint: There *is* no less busy time. It's *always* like that.) Once,
>I had to wait through 2.8 of those 30 minute wait cycles to get through to
>the customer "service" rep.
>
>Instead, I'd rather drive to Wal-Mart. Much, much less hassle.

I've bought $14,000 of DVD's in the last two years, from Amazon.com,
Amazon.ca, DVDsoon, DVDplanet (not recently) and Barnes and Noble, and
not ONCE have I ever had a problem. One DVD was delivered with the
disc off the hub, but it was "The Sound of Jazz," a terrible quality
release anyway, Once I received the wrong disc from Amazon.com, after
an Email that was immediately answered they sent the correct disc,
while letting me keep the incorect one NO CHARGE, once I received a
defective tape from Amazon.ca, they sent me a good one, no charge and
no return needed. All deliveries have been next day for DVDsoon and
Amazon.ca, and 4 days for Amazon.com. Not ONCE has a disc ever gone
missing, and almost never did I pay for shipping except for Amazon.com
and the early orders with DVDplanet. and That's IT. Period.

I think it boils down to picking the right suppliers and being decent
with them if there is a problem. I go into the store and see what
some discs cost, compared with the much lower price I paid
online.......

> [...]

> not ONCE have I ever had a problem. One DVD was delivered with the
> disc off the hub, but it was "The Sound of Jazz," a terrible quality
> release anyway, Once I received the wrong disc from Amazon.com, after
> an Email that was immediately answered they sent the correct disc,
> while letting me keep the incorect one NO CHARGE, once I received a
> defective tape from Amazon.ca, they sent me a good one, no charge and
> no return needed. All deliveries have been next day for DVDsoon and
> Amazon.ca, and 4 days for Amazon.com. Not ONCE has a disc ever gone
> missing, and almost never did I pay for shipping except for Amazon.com
> and the early orders with DVDplanet. and That's IT. Period.
>
> I think it boils down to picking the right suppliers and being decent
> with them if there is a problem. I go into the store and see what
> some discs cost, compared with the much lower price I paid

So far, I've bought five DVD season sets of a certain Warner Home Video TV
show, and *every* set has had one or two loose, and usually scratched discs.

Season 1 (bought to give as a Christmas gift, online from Amazon.com): one
loose, but the scratches were light and radial. As far as I know, it played
OK.

Season 1 (bought for myself, locally at Wal-Mart): two discs loose &
scratched, but the scratches were light and radial. Played OK.

Season 2: (bought for myself, online from DVD Planet): two discs loose &
scratched, but the scratches were light and generally radial. Played OK.

Season 3: (bought for myself, online from DVD Planet): two discs loose &
scratched. Both discs hang a lot. Returned to DVD Planet for a refund.
Would have liked to just exchange the defective discs, but they don't do
that.

Disc 4 (details of the problems encountered):
--------------
Episode #14
DVD hangs, and skips from 00:00:56 to 00:01:36.
DVD hangs at 00:05:39, and either skips from 00:05:39 back to 00:04:52 (over
and over again), or skips ahead to 00:13:51.
DVD hangs at 00:26:00, and skips back to 00:14:36.

Episode #15
DVD hangs at 00:35:19, and skips back to 00:04:27, or just stutters around
for a few seconds and then continues.
DVD hangs at 00:36:34, and skips back to 00:28:54, or just stutters around
for a few seconds and then continues.
DVD hangs at 00:40:53, and skips to 00:41:34.

Disc 5 (details of the problems encountered):
--------------
Episode #17
DVD hangs at 00:02:15, and skips to 00:02:26.
DVD hangs at 00:04:56, and skips to 00:11:09.
DVD hangs at 00:13:34, stutters around 00:13:34, 00:13:35, 00:13:36,
00:13:37, and 00:13:38, and then skips to 00:13:47.
DVD hangs at 00:13:54, and then skips to 00:14:04.
DVD hangs at 00:14:49, and then skips to 00:14:59.
DVD hangs at 00:29:04, and then skips to 00:29:45.
DVD hangs at 00:30:59, and then skips to 00:31:09.
DVD hangs at 00:31:59, and then skips to 00:32:04.
DVD hangs at 00:32:19, and then skips to 00:39:52.

Episode #20
DVD hangs at 00:09:21, and then skips to 00:13:58.
DVD hangs at 00:14:51, and then skips to 00:15:31.
DVD hangs at 00:21:48, and then continues.
DVD hangs at 00:38:14, then skips to 00:38:16, and then skips to 00:39:02.
DVD hangs at 00:39:07, 00:39:08, 00:39:09, and 00:39:10, and then skips to
00:39:51.
DVD hangs at 00:40:02, 00:40:05, 00:40:07 and 00:40:08, and then skips to
00:40:14.

Externally, the package looked perfect when it arrived in the mail. No
signs of damage at all, not on the external box and not on the internal box
(the DVD packaging).

Season 3: (bought for myself, locally at Wal-Mart): one disc (#2) loose but
not scratched. Whew! All discs played OK.