Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Directory Service unavailable for Network Printing

Directory Service unavailable for Network Printing

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=

Every once in a while, for no particular reason that I can fathom, when I
click on the "Find Printer" in the Print dialog box, I get the "Find..."
window grayed out and covered with a dialog box stating "Directory Service is
currently unavailable".

I am on a small home network and am working wirelessly from a laptop to
connect to certain printers in other rooms. I CAN see them if I select
"Printers and Faxes" from the "Start" menu - but can't access them from the
program I'm trying to print from (Word mostly). Just this a.m. I used the
"Find Printer" several times no problem - then a little while later I got the
above error messge. I've searched and searched the KB and these boards and
just don't find anything about this.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks mucho in
advance - I'm ready to get out the hammer....>

Sys Info:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: Solo 9300 Pro
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~640MHz
Memory: 416MB RAM
Page File: 426MB used, 562MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

--
To reply directly take out the ".not." in the address:

Simas Kvilius

"Find Printer" works only in Active Directory environment

"Susie-Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every once in a while, for no particular reason that I can fathom, when I
> click on the "Find Printer" in the Print dialog box, I get the "Find..."
> window grayed out and covered with a dialog box stating "Directory Service
> is
> currently unavailable".
>
> I am on a small home network and am working wirelessly from a laptop to
> connect to certain printers in other rooms. I CAN see them if I select
> "Printers and Faxes" from the "Start" menu - but can't access them from
> the
> program I'm trying to print from (Word mostly). Just this a.m. I used the
> "Find Printer" several times no problem - then a little while later I got
> the
> above error messge. I've searched and searched the KB and these boards
> and
> just don't find anything about this.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks mucho in
> advance - I'm ready to get out the hammer....>
>
> Sys Info:
>
> Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
> (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
> Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
> System Manufacturer: Gateway
> System Model: Solo 9300 Pro
> BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
> Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~640MHz
> Memory: 416MB RAM
> Page File: 426MB used, 562MB available
> Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
> DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
>
> --
> To reply directly take out the ".not." in the address:
> (E-Mail Removed).

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=

Hi Simas - Thanks for answering. I must have been working in an Active
Directory Service since I've used the "find Printer" in the past many times.

I just don't know what makes it turn itself off - and more importantly, how
I make sure I know how to turn on the Active Service Directly (or repair it
as the case may be.

Is this some kind of command from Administration Tools? If so, how do I
check or activate it?

Thanks again,
Susie
--

"Simas Kvilius" wrote:

> "Find Printer" works only in Active Directory environment
>
> "Susie-Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Every once in a while, for no particular reason that I can fathom, when I
> > click on the "Find Printer" in the Print dialog box, I get the "Find..."
> > window grayed out and covered with a dialog box stating "Directory Service
> > is
> > currently unavailable".
> >
> > I am on a small home network and am working wirelessly from a laptop to
> > connect to certain printers in other rooms. I CAN see them if I select
> > "Printers and Faxes" from the "Start" menu - but can't access them from
> > the
> > program I'm trying to print from (Word mostly). Just this a.m. I used the
> > "Find Printer" several times no problem - then a little while later I got
> > the
> > above error messge. I've searched and searched the KB and these boards
> > and
> > just don't find anything about this.
> >
> > Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks mucho in
> > advance - I'm ready to get out the hammer....>
> >
> > Sys Info:
> >
> > Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
> > (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
> > Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
> > System Manufacturer: Gateway
> > System Model: Solo 9300 Pro
> > BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
> > Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~640MHz
> > Memory: 416MB RAM
> > Page File: 426MB used, 562MB available
> > Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
> > DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
> >
> > --
> > To reply directly take out the ".not." in the address:
> > (E-Mail Removed).

HPD145_Problem HPD145_Problem is offline
Junior Member

Susie,
Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?
I am having the same problem on my home wireless network.

HPD145_Problem HPD145_Problem is offline
Junior Member

Susie,
Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?
I am having the same problem on my home wireless network.

shumaker212 shumaker212 is offline
Junior Member

[QUOTE==?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=]Every once in a while, for no particular reason that I can fathom, when I
[...]

Take a look at the tool called "Print-Directory.com" to print file list of a directory.

Bonfiglio Bonfiglio is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=
[...]

.
there are some tools to print directory listings, i use folder printer for such aim

find : print-directory.com