Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > christmas story spec ed not sooo special after all

christmas story spec ed not sooo special after all

NOMAD205

Hi,

Did anyone else get the Christmas Story DVD special edition and are
disapointed? The box says commentary with Peter Billingsly, the Director AND
Melinda Dillon but the commentary only includes PB and director, ( When you
open the box, in the insert it says only PB and director as well as on the disc
menu. It wasnt a very great commentary, the director was boring...PB was greeat
though, some of the featurettes were good, but, still it needed more for me,
like deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the non-special
edition on DVD its a dissapointment. Also it says easter eggs on it, does
anyone know of any? thank you for your help Jill

Shinner

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (NOMAD205) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> still it needed more for me, like
> deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the
> non-special edition on DVD its a dissapointment

surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an anamorphic
transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.

--
Sláinte,

Shinner

===================================
While the wicked stand confounded
Call me, with thy saints surrounded
===================================

Invid Fan

In article <3f85daab$0$236$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shinner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (NOMAD205) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > still it needed more for me, like
> > deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the
> > non-special edition on DVD its a dissapointment

> surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an anamorphic
> transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.

Exactly. That's a feature I won't find useful for a decade or so,
unless my 5 year old set blows up

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

trog

In <(E-Mail Removed)> NOMAD205 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did anyone else get the Christmas Story DVD special edition and are
> disapointed? The box says commentary with Peter Billingsly, the
> Director AND Melinda Dillon but the commentary only includes PB and
> director, ( When you open the box, in the insert it says only PB and
> director as well as on the disc menu. It wasnt a very great commentary,
> the director was boring...PB was greeat though, some of the
> featurettes were good, but, still it needed more for me, like deleted
> scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the non-special
> edition on DVD its a dissapointment. Also it says easter eggs on it,
> does anyone know of any? thank you for your help Jill

It's finally available in anamorphic widescreen and you are complaining!
I would have paid $30 to get it in it's original aspect ratio. The full
screen version is terrible.

mazinz

wasnt it shot fullscreen (or like 1;77) to begin with???

mazinz

ok according to the imdb

Aspect ratio
1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)

so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to matte it
to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?

Aaron J. Bossig

(E-Mail Removed)Onojunk (mazinz) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> ok according to the imdb
>
> Aspect ratio
> 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
> 1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
>
> so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to
> matte it to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?

Yes. The negative ratio doesn't mean much in this case-- it was
created to be 1.85:1.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.daily-reviews.com

Joshua Zyber

"mazinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok according to the imdb
>
> Aspect ratio
> 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
> 1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
>
> so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to

matte it
> to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?

Yes. There is an explanation of the matting process at this link:

http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_matted.shtml

Shinner

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:091020031830345015%
(E-Mail Removed):

> Exactly. That's a feature I won't find useful for a decade or so,
> unless my 5 year old set blows up

I got a free rptv (ws) last year from Marriott, so when I see a crappy
release get the re-release treatment which includes anamorphic as a new
"feature", that's enough to get me to buy it.

But I realize that doesn't apply to everyone, obviously.

--
Sláinte,

Shinner

===================================
While the wicked stand confounded
Call me, with thy saints surrounded
===================================

jayembee

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> still it needed more for me, like deleted scenes and
>>> stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the non-special
>>> edition on DVD its a dissapointment

>> surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an
>> anamorphic transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.

> Exactly. That's a feature I won't find useful for a decade
> or so, unless my 5 year old set blows up

OK, so you don't have any current use for an anamorphic
transfer. That still doesn't change the fact that the SE
is in the proper aspect ratio.

-- jayembee