Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > NTSC vs. PAL

NTSC vs. PAL

Mischa van Dinter

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mischa van Dinter wrote:
>> On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (anthony) wrote:
>>
>> > If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
>> > won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as
>> > those markets are PAL format.
>> > You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I
>> > think most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

>> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
>>
>> Mischa

>Hong Kong is PAL

Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.

Mischa

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:59:42 +0200, Mischa van Dinter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mischa van Dinter wrote:

>>> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
>>>
>>> Mischa

>>Hong Kong is PAL

>Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
>Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
>send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.

The official broadcast standard of China and Hong Kong is PAL with 6
Mhz sound offset. Most consumers in Hong Kong have multi-standard
TV's and players so that they may watch international media. Hong
Kong-made films, from an industry only third in production volume
behind first India then the US, are telecine'd to NTSC for the
American, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese markets, which are all NTSC.
China, the only Asian country (besides Singapore) using PAL, has not
historically been a big buyer of Hong Kong or Japanese product. HK
discs and tapes are therefore generally produced in NTSC to avoid the
necessity of standards conversion to and from preferred markets.
Incidently this is why Hong Kong DVD's are not Region-coded, they have
a geographically diverse target market. Hong Kong is probably unique
in having consumer and production support for a video standard
distinct from its broadcast standard.

. Steve ..

>Mischa

Thomas Tornblom

Mischa van Dinter <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Mischa van Dinter wrote:

> >> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
> >>
> >> Mischa

> >Hong Kong is PAL

> Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
> Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
> send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.
>
> Mischa

I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.

Here's a table:
http://kropla.com/tv.htm

Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
on the other hand is NTSC.

Thomas

Mischa van Dinter

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 05:57:24 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
>>Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
>>send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.

>The official broadcast standard of China and Hong Kong is PAL with 6
>Mhz sound offset. Most consumers in Hong Kong have multi-standard
>TV's and players so that they may watch international media. Hong
>Kong-made films, from an industry only third in production volume
>behind first India then the US, are telecine'd to NTSC for the
>American, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese markets, which are all NTSC.
>China, the only Asian country (besides Singapore) using PAL, has not
>historically been a big buyer of Hong Kong or Japanese product. HK
>discs and tapes are therefore generally produced in NTSC to avoid the
>necessity of standards conversion to and from preferred markets.
>Incidently this is why Hong Kong DVD's are not Region-coded, they have
>a geographically diverse target market. Hong Kong is probably unique
>in having consumer and production support for a video standard
>distinct from its broadcast standard.
>
> . Steve ..

That is probably true, but the guy was asking about the DVDs bought
there, not the broadcasting standard. I'm pretty sure he is not trying
to receive broadcasts from Hong Kong.

Although I must admit that I was not aware of the difference in
broadcasting standard and video standard. I did know China was PAL but
assumed that, like the DVDs there, KH was NTSC. A chinese friend of
mine has a large collection of Chinese discs and all these are also
NTSC (not PAL and never code 6), but I must assume that because these
are mostly bootlegs the bootleggers probably just copied the original
US discs.

It does however seem that not all DVD producers play along with this,
lots of discs are region coded. Probably to keep the cheap discs out
of Japan, especially for non-KH productions that have different
distributors in Japan. I would, however, explain the Japanese
subtitles on, say, The Killer (Universe Laser version).

So to summarize: HK has the PAL broadcast standard, but uses NTSC as
the video standard. Most discs are not region coded. So, Americans who
use NTSC and Europeans who often have multi-standard equipment, should
be able to buy and view all those wonderfully cheap HK DVDs, from,
say, www.dddhouse.com.

grt
Mischa

Mischa van Dinter

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:16:18 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
<(E-Mail Removed)-to-reply> wrote:

>I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
>was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
>shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.

I have seen a Dutch DVD of Night of the Living Dead which was NTSC R0,
while the Netherlands is PAL. Most Europeans use multistandard
equiment.

>Here's a table:
>http://kropla.com/tv.htm
>
>Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
>on the other hand is NTSC.

Yep, got that explained to me by Steve. Never knew they used different
standards for broadcast and home video. But now that I think about it,
I did watch a little TV in HK and I should have noticed that the
picture quality was way too good to be NTSC

Mischa

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:16:18 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
<(E-Mail Removed)-to-reply> wrote:

>Mischa van Dinter <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
>was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
>shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.
>
>Here's a table:
>http://kropla.com/tv.htm

This one appears a little more accurate.

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/W...broadcast.html

. Steve ...

>Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
>on the other hand is NTSC.
>
>Thomas

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:05:50 +0200, Mischa van Dinter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:16:18 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
><(E-Mail Removed)-to-reply> wrote:
>

>>I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
>>was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
>>shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.
>>

>I have seen a Dutch DVD of Night of the Living Dead which was NTSC R0,
>while the Netherlands is PAL. Most Europeans use multistandard
>equiment.
>
>>Here's a table:
>>http://kropla.com/tv.htm
>>
>>Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
>>on the other hand is NTSC.

>Yep, got that explained to me by Steve. Never knew they used different
>standards for broadcast and home video. But now that I think about it,
>I did watch a little TV in HK and I should have noticed that the
>picture quality was way too good to be NTSC

PALis not innately superior to NTSC, since PAL IS NTSC. Here's a
comparison..

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/compare.html

The Hong Kong "Video Standard" is PAL, however producers generally
market films in NTSC for the vast export segment.

. Steve ..

>Mischa

Frode

John S. Dyson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Frode <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

How can you tell if a copied DVD is Pal or NTSC? Jim Swan Computer Support 2 09-25-2004 06:36 PM
Can NTSC Camcorder be viewed through a multi-system VCR on a PAL TV? amer Computer Support 2 02-01-2004 12:33 PM
How to check whether VCD is Pal or NTSC?? Bummer Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 03:49 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
Convert NTSC videos to PAL format David Wood Computer Support 0 11-17-2003 09:34 PM

Advertisments