Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > NTSC vs. PAL

NTSC vs. PAL

Wade365

If I have a machine which will play NTSC regions, which then are excluded
(PAL)? What will I be unable to play? I have noticed that the Hong Kong and
Japanese discs I own already are marked NTSC region 3 and NTSC region 2
respectively... I've seen it talked about but have forgotten what the
difference is, something to do with the televisions?

The reason why I ask is I have found a piece of software (possibly) which will
allow "playback of all NTSC regions" for my Xbox, but I don't want it if it's
not going to play my Asian discs, and I'd like to be able to order stuff from
England or Australia should the need arise (there are some programs being
released in those countries I doubt a US market exsists for)...

Searches I've done have yielded some confusion so one of you experts might be
able to put it into a context I can grock. If anyone knows it, you-all do...

Thanks in advance!

Nicholas Andrade

Wade365 wrote:
> If I have a machine which will play NTSC regions, which then are excluded
> (PAL)? What will I be unable to play? I have noticed that the Hong Kong and
> Japanese discs I own already are marked NTSC region 3 and NTSC region 2
> respectively... I've seen it talked about but have forgotten what the
> difference is, something to do with the televisions?
>
> The reason why I ask is I have found a piece of software (possibly) which will
> allow "playback of all NTSC regions" for my Xbox, but I don't want it if it's
> not going to play my Asian discs, and I'd like to be able to order stuff from
> England or Australia should the need arise (there are some programs being
> released in those countries I doubt a US market exsists for)...
>
> Searches I've done have yielded some confusion so one of you experts might be
> able to put it into a context I can grock. If anyone knows it, you-all do...
>
> Thanks in advance!

Assuming you're referring to XDVD, the XBox should handle both the
region change and the PAL/NTSC conversion without a problem. A better
place for this question is the forums on www.xbox-scene.com

Adios,
~Nick

anthony

If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as those
markets are PAL format.
You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I think
most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

Mischa van Dinter

On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (anthony) wrote:

>If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
>won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as those
>markets are PAL format.
>You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I think
>most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.

Mischa

Wade365

Thanks.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:15:08 +0200, Mischa van Dinter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (anthony) wrote:
>
>>If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
>>won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as those
>>markets are PAL format.
>>You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I think
>>most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

>Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.

South Korea is NTSC, by its nature of once being a USD proctectorate.
The TV service was started by US engineers.

. Steve .

>Mischa

ThePunisher

Mischa van Dinter wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (anthony) wrote:
>
> > If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
> > won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as
> > those markets are PAL format.
> > You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I
> > think most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
>
> Mischa

Hong Kong is PAL

--
ThePunisher

Robert Morgan

>Hong Kong is PAL
>
>--
>ThePunisher

I've seen Hong Kong Region 3 DVDs in both PAL and NTSC; all of the DVDs I've
purchased from HK have been in NTSC. Caveat emptor, I guess.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On 11 Oct 2003 06:17:19 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)robozz (Robert Morgan)
wrote:

>>Hong Kong is PAL
>>
>>--
>>ThePunisher

>I've seen Hong Kong Region 3 DVDs in both PAL and NTSC; all of the DVDs I've
>purchased from HK have been in NTSC. Caveat emptor, I guess.

All of the Hong Kong Laserdisc releases I know of are NTSC, for
instance the rare Hong Kong rental release of "Song of the South."
Officially China is PAL, but Hong Kong seems to have adopted the
American broadcast system, depite being a British protectorate.

.Steve .

anthony

Yes, Hong Kong is definitely PAL

How can you tell if a copied DVD is Pal or NTSC? Jim Swan Computer Support 2 09-25-2004 06:36 PM
Can NTSC Camcorder be viewed through a multi-system VCR on a PAL TV? amer Computer Support 2 02-01-2004 12:33 PM
How to check whether VCD is Pal or NTSC?? Bummer Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 03:49 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
Convert NTSC videos to PAL format David Wood Computer Support 0 11-17-2003 09:34 PM

Advertisments