Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Recordings Too Large

Recordings Too Large

Leslie Rhorer

I hope someone can lend me a little guidance with an issue I am having.
I have a TiVo DVR set up with TyStream software to enable me to edit the
content of the DVR and copy to file or DVD. TyStream works fine, if
horrendously slowly moving the video streams onto the Windows PC. There I
can edit the content however I like. TyStream then can save the video to
any one of three formats: MPEG2, MPEG3, or raw Video/Audio. I then can take
either format of MPEG file and use Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator to burn the
results to DVD. The problem is, the resultant files are *HUGE*. When
TyStream encodes a 5 minute stream to MPEG2, it comes out at about 60M.
The same stream encoded MP3 comes out about 63M. When I run the files
through Easy DVD Creator and convert to DVD, they come out over 290 Megs -
and that is just for a 5 minute clip. A 2 hour video stream, which should
fit easily on a 4.7G DVD, comes out at nearly 6.9G. The limit to fit on a
4.7G disc is about an hour and 20 minutes. Since most of the video I want
to copy runs just about 2 hours, I've got a bit of a problem, especially
since Easy DVD Creator won't split up the content across two discs - not
that I really want to have the content span two discs, anyway. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Paintballmavin

"Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%35gb.66234$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I hope someone can lend me a little guidance with an issue I am

having.
> I have a TiVo DVR set up with TyStream software to enable me to edit the
> content of the DVR and copy to file or DVD. TyStream works fine, if
> horrendously slowly moving the video streams onto the Windows PC. There I
> can edit the content however I like. TyStream then can save the video to
> any one of three formats: MPEG2, MPEG3, or raw Video/Audio. I then can

take
> either format of MPEG file and use Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator to burn the
> results to DVD. The problem is, the resultant files are *HUGE*. When
> TyStream encodes a 5 minute stream to MPEG2, it comes out at about 60M.
> The same stream encoded MP3 comes out about 63M. When I run the files
> through Easy DVD Creator and convert to DVD, they come out over 290 Megs -
> and that is just for a 5 minute clip. A 2 hour video stream, which should
> fit easily on a 4.7G DVD, comes out at nearly 6.9G. The limit to fit on a
> 4.7G disc is about an hour and 20 minutes. Since most of the video I want
> to copy runs just about 2 hours, I've got a bit of a problem, especially
> since Easy DVD Creator won't split up the content across two discs - not
> that I really want to have the content span two discs, anyway. Does

anyone
> have any suggestions?

You might try running your DVD files thru DVD2ONE or DVDShrink to get them
down to the proper size....I know it;s probably not the best method, but
should work.

luminos

It is possible that the encoder is up-coding the audio to PCM, and this can
result in large files. On some streams,
you might be only able to get 1.5 hours on the DVD. Try encoding using
MovieFactory 2 (which codes the audio in Mpeg).

Leslie Rhorer

"Paintballmavin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%35gb.66234$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > I hope someone can lend me a little guidance with an issue I am

> having.
> > I have a TiVo DVR set up with TyStream software to enable me to edit the
> > content of the DVR and copy to file or DVD. TyStream works fine, if
> > horrendously slowly moving the video streams onto the Windows PC. There

> > can edit the content however I like. TyStream then can save the video

> > any one of three formats: MPEG2, MPEG3, or raw Video/Audio. I then can

> take
> > either format of MPEG file and use Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator to burn

the
> > results to DVD. The problem is, the resultant files are *HUGE*. When
> > TyStream encodes a 5 minute stream to MPEG2, it comes out at about 60M.
> > The same stream encoded MP3 comes out about 63M. When I run the files
> > through Easy DVD Creator and convert to DVD, they come out over 290

Megs -
> > and that is just for a 5 minute clip. A 2 hour video stream, which

should
> > fit easily on a 4.7G DVD, comes out at nearly 6.9G. The limit to fit on

> > 4.7G disc is about an hour and 20 minutes. Since most of the video I

want
> > to copy runs just about 2 hours, I've got a bit of a problem, especially
> > since Easy DVD Creator won't split up the content across two discs - not
> > that I really want to have the content span two discs, anyway. Does

> anyone
> > have any suggestions?
> >

> You might try running your DVD files thru DVD2ONE or DVDShrink to get them
> down to the proper size....I know it;s probably not the best method, but
> should work.

Thank you so much for your response. Are either of these shareware (and
do you know a URL)? Does either have variable compression? Do I
understand correctly I would run the MPEG files through these, or do I
create the DVD and save it to the hard drive, then run these and copy to the
DVD?

Leslie Rhorer

I'm not sure I follow. Easy DVD Creator won't take the separate
video/audio produced by TyStream. How do I get this to work with MPEG2 or
MPEG3 files, or will it work with the output from TyStream?

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blsdmd$g9l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is possible that the encoder is up-coding the audio to PCM, and this

can
> result in large files. On some streams,
> you might be only able to get 1.5 hours on the DVD. Try encoding using
> MovieFactory 2 (which codes the audio in Mpeg).

luminos

You need to keep your Mpeg2 output from your program. Then use a program
that can
author to DVD: DVD Author is such shareware (do a Goggle). You cannot
simply copy the files to DVD.
Nero will now also let you take Mpeg2 files and will create a Video DVD.

"Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lbogb.66559$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Paintballmavin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%35gb.66234$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > I hope someone can lend me a little guidance with an issue I am

> > having.
> > > I have a TiVo DVR set up with TyStream software to enable me to edit

the
> > > content of the DVR and copy to file or DVD. TyStream works fine, if
> > > horrendously slowly moving the video streams onto the Windows PC.

There
> > > can edit the content however I like. TyStream then can save the video

> > > any one of three formats: MPEG2, MPEG3, or raw Video/Audio. I then

can
> > take
> > > either format of MPEG file and use Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator to burn

> the
> > > results to DVD. The problem is, the resultant files are *HUGE*. When
> > > TyStream encodes a 5 minute stream to MPEG2, it comes out at about

60M.
> > > The same stream encoded MP3 comes out about 63M. When I run the files
> > > through Easy DVD Creator and convert to DVD, they come out over 290

> Megs -
> > > and that is just for a 5 minute clip. A 2 hour video stream, which

> should
> > > fit easily on a 4.7G DVD, comes out at nearly 6.9G. The limit to fit

on
> > > 4.7G disc is about an hour and 20 minutes. Since most of the video I

> want
> > > to copy runs just about 2 hours, I've got a bit of a problem,

especially
> > > since Easy DVD Creator won't split up the content across two discs -

not
> > > that I really want to have the content span two discs, anyway. Does

> > anyone
> > > have any suggestions?
> > >

> > You might try running your DVD files thru DVD2ONE or DVDShrink to get

them
> > down to the proper size....I know it;s probably not the best method, but
> > should work.

> Thank you so much for your response. Are either of these shareware

(and
> do you know a URL)? Does either have variable compression? Do I
> understand correctly I would run the MPEG files through these, or do I
> create the DVD and save it to the hard drive, then run these and copy to

the
> DVD?

luminos

MovieFactory 2 will accept Mpeg2 files (Mpeg3 is not compliant with DVD).

"Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Hdogb.66560$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure I follow. Easy DVD Creator won't take the separate
> video/audio produced by TyStream. How do I get this to work with MPEG2 or
> MPEG3 files, or will it work with the output from TyStream?
>
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blsdmd$g9l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It is possible that the encoder is up-coding the audio to PCM, and this

> can
> > result in large files. On some streams,
> > you might be only able to get 1.5 hours on the DVD. Try encoding using
> > MovieFactory 2 (which codes the audio in Mpeg).

luminos

By the way, the files will be large since they also include all the overhead
required of a DVD, even if it was only 30 seconds long...you really cannot
use that as a yardstick!

Paintballmavin

"Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lbogb.66559$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Paintballmavin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Leslie Rhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%35gb.66234$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > I hope someone can lend me a little guidance with an issue I am

> > having.
> > > I have a TiVo DVR set up with TyStream software to enable me to edit

the
> > > content of the DVR and copy to file or DVD. TyStream works fine, if
> > > horrendously slowly moving the video streams onto the Windows PC.

There
> > > can edit the content however I like. TyStream then can save the video

> > > any one of three formats: MPEG2, MPEG3, or raw Video/Audio. I then

can
> > take
> > > either format of MPEG file and use Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator to burn

> the
> > > results to DVD. The problem is, the resultant files are *HUGE*. When
> > > TyStream encodes a 5 minute stream to MPEG2, it comes out at about

60M.
> > > The same stream encoded MP3 comes out about 63M. When I run the files
> > > through Easy DVD Creator and convert to DVD, they come out over 290

> Megs -
> > > and that is just for a 5 minute clip. A 2 hour video stream, which

> should
> > > fit easily on a 4.7G DVD, comes out at nearly 6.9G. The limit to fit

on
> > > 4.7G disc is about an hour and 20 minutes. Since most of the video I

> want
> > > to copy runs just about 2 hours, I've got a bit of a problem,

especially
> > > since Easy DVD Creator won't split up the content across two discs -

not
> > > that I really want to have the content span two discs, anyway. Does

> > anyone
> > > have any suggestions?
> > >

> > You might try running your DVD files thru DVD2ONE or DVDShrink to get

them
> > down to the proper size....I know it;s probably not the best method, but
> > should work.

> Thank you so much for your response. Are either of these shareware

(and
> do you know a URL)? Does either have variable compression? Do I
> understand correctly I would run the MPEG files through these, or do I
> create the DVD and save it to the hard drive, then run these and copy to

the
> DVD?

DVDShrink is: http://www.dvdshrink.com
Hope this works for ya.

luminos

DVDShrink does not work with elementary Mpeg streams.