Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to put VCD (MPEG 1) movie into DVD disk?

How to put VCD (MPEG 1) movie into DVD disk?

Jian

It sounds a wierd question. I want to know if it's
possible to combine an entire movie, seperated in
severa VCD, into one DVD and then played with DVD
player still as VCD (MPEG1) format.

A VCD movie has several disk and most of them
one disk is only 3/4 full. A DVD has 4700MB that
can host an entire movie.

So, I wonder if one can make a large VCD movie with
the help of a VCD making software and burn it onto
a DVD disk but in VCD format and play back with DVD
player. The DVD player recognizes it as VCD format and
play it 4 hours no-stopping.

luminos

No.

"Jian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> It sounds a wierd question. I want to know if it's
> possible to combine an entire movie, seperated in
> severa VCD, into one DVD and then played with DVD
> player still as VCD (MPEG1) format.
>
> A VCD movie has several disk and most of them
> one disk is only 3/4 full. A DVD has 4700MB that
> can host an entire movie.
>
> So, I wonder if one can make a large VCD movie with
> the help of a VCD making software and burn it onto
> a DVD disk but in VCD format and play back with DVD
> player. The DVD player recognizes it as VCD format and
> play it 4 hours no-stopping.

Starz_Kid

Hello Jian, Actually a number of DVD authoring programs
such as Movie Factory and DVDiT let you use mpeg-1 files
as the source. That way you can fit your vcd movies to 1 DVD!

An alternate way would be to use a program like TMPGenc to
transcode your vcd files to DVD standards, then use those to
make a DVD!!

Either way would work!!!

Starz_Kid...

"Jian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> It sounds a wierd question. I want to know if it's
> possible to combine an entire movie, seperated in
> severa VCD, into one DVD and then played with DVD
> player still as VCD (MPEG1) format.
>
> A VCD movie has several disk and most of them
> one disk is only 3/4 full. A DVD has 4700MB that
> can host an entire movie.
>
> So, I wonder if one can make a large VCD movie with
> the help of a VCD making software and burn it onto
> a DVD disk but in VCD format and play back with DVD
> player. The DVD player recognizes it as VCD format and
> play it 4 hours no-stopping.

luminos

Then, they are not VCD files anymore. They have been transcoded (at huge
time expense). Therefore, the answer to the original question remains no.

"Starz_Kid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GJ5gb.5563325$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Jian, Actually a number of DVD authoring programs
> such as Movie Factory and DVDiT let you use mpeg-1 files
> as the source. That way you can fit your vcd movies to 1 DVD!

CAndersen (Kimba)

See if this page helps you out:
http://ness888.users.btopenworld.com/fromvcd2dvd.htm

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

Nicholas Andrade

CAndersen (Kimba) wrote:

> See if this page helps you out:
> http://ness888.users.btopenworld.com/fromvcd2dvd.htm

I am not the original poster, but thanks for the link anyway. It will
certainly make converting some Pearl Jam concert VCD's to DVD much
similar when I find the time.

Adios,
~Nick

Jian

It doesn't have to be VCD format on DVD disk.

VCD is a low resolution, small zise format while
real DVD is high resolution, large size format.
The question really is: is there such thing as
'a DVD movie at VCD resolution' (from VCD source, actually
it has no point to make it real DVD resolution)
and make a DVD movie of 6 hours on a single layer
but VCD resolution playable with a DVD player.

The answer would be 'YES' or 'NO'.

Is it techniquely possible?

Thanks.

Jian

luminos

Yes.

"Jian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> It doesn't have to be VCD format on DVD disk.
>
> VCD is a low resolution, small zise format while
> real DVD is high resolution, large size format.
> The question really is: is there such thing as
> 'a DVD movie at VCD resolution' (from VCD source, actually
> it has no point to make it real DVD resolution)
> and make a DVD movie of 6 hours on a single layer
> but VCD resolution playable with a DVD player.
>
> The answer would be 'YES' or 'NO'.
>
> Is it techniquely possible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jian

Jian

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<blvcn4$epu$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Yes.

So, you know how to make it? Thanks in advance.

Brian C. Allen

Jian wrote:
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<blvcn4$epu$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>Yes.

> So, you know how to make it? Thanks in advance.

Just input to VCD mpg files into TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will take them
and turn it into DVD format, without changing the video. It will,
however, re-encode the audio to 48KHz from the original 44.1KHz.

BCA