Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Whos Buying Lion King Tuesday?

Whos Buying Lion King Tuesday?

Troy-Mich

I'm Buying The Gift Set, Bestbuy has it for $39.99, and you get a mnouse
pad with it, i all ready watched lion king on dvd, it's great. i work at
blockbuster and where we can watch them b4 the street date.

Well i capture a pic on lion king on dvd just to show you how good it is
heres the url

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/troy/lion-king1.jpg

Rutgar

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:10:25 -0400 (EDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Troy-Mich) wrote:

>I'm Buying The Gift Set, Bestbuy has it for $39.99, and you get a mnouse
>pad with it, i all ready watched lion king on dvd, it's great. i work at
>blockbuster and where we can watch them b4 the street date.
>
>Well i capture a pic on lion king on dvd just to show you how good it is
>heres the url
>
>http://www.angelfire.com/blues/troy/lion-king1.jpg

Er, you mean, who's buying Kimba the White Lion 2?

- Rutgar

unclejr

(E-Mail Removed) (Troy-Mich) wrote...
> I'm Buying The Gift Set, Bestbuy has it for $39.99, and you get a mnouse
> pad with it, i all ready watched lion king on dvd, it's great. i work at
> blockbuster and where we can watch them b4 the street date.
>
> Well i capture a pic on lion king on dvd just to show you how good it is
> heres the url
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/blues/troy/lion-king1.jpg

To answer the subject line, "I already have." HOWEVER, I have one BIG
caveat to report... Unfortunately, the film has been "touched up" to
the point of it being completely revisionist on the Platinum DVD. See
the following two URLs for a comparision of the original 1994
theatrical cut:

<http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>

to the new Platinum DVD released today (10/7):

<http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>

Simply apalling! They are NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the same
animation cels! The second TV screen caps are (obviously) not from
the true original cut (as seen in theaters in 1994). It most likely
is the IMAX cut released last January 2003.

I don't know why Disney keeps messing with their animated classics
like this. It can't be for the money, since I would imagine that a
ton of time and money went into this "restoration." Perhaps, they
needed to do this "restoration" for the IMAX cut (and thus, more box
office revenue), with IMAX's huge/detailed film cels. So, maybe, it
did make economic sense...

Disney is using seamless branching to tie the extended (Morning
Report) version to the "original" (it really should be, "as seen at
IMAX theaters") version to fit both versions of the film on one disc.
I just wish that Disney had NOT advertised on the DVD packaging that
the DVD contains the "original" version of the film. An obvious and
blatant lie.

As always, YMMV.

-Junior

Aaron J. Bossig

> <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>
>
> to the new Platinum DVD released today (10/7):
>
> <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>

I'm stunned. This is terrible. Would the original cut
really have looked that bad in IMAX? Why couldn't they
keep a copy of the original elements as well?

I just unwrapped my copy, and despite how mad I am, I love
the movie too much to take it back. Dammit, Disney...!

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.daily-reviews.com

Troy-Mich

The original Lion King is in it to,

Goto set up and film, i just found it

unclejr

(E-Mail Removed) (Troy-Mich) wrote...
> The original Lion King is in it to,
>
> Goto set up and film, i just found it

No, the original film (as shown in theaters in 1994) is NOT on the
current Platinum DVD. The "original" film (as shown in IMAX theaters
in 2003) IS on the current Platinum DVD. Period.

For example, there's still a big difference between the 1994 original:

<http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>

and the 2003 "original":

<http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>

-Junior

Maverick

(E-Mail Removed) (Troy-Mich) wrote:

>I'm Buying The Gift Set, Bestbuy has it for $39.99,
> and you get a mnouse pad with it, i all ready
> watched lion king on dvd, it's great. i work at
> blockbuster and where we can watch them b4 the
> street date.

>Well i capture a pic on lion king on dvd just to
> show you how good it is heres the url

>http://www.angelfire.com/blues/troy/lion-king1.jpg

I just bought the gift set yesterday at Circuit City, the DVD transfer
is amazing, but it's Disney's "Enhanced Home Theater Mix" that really
shines.

Mischa van Dinter

On 7 Oct 2003 23:17:14 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (unclejr) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Troy-Mich) wrote...
>> The original Lion King is in it to,
>>
>> Goto set up and film, i just found it

>No, the original film (as shown in theaters in 1994) is NOT on the
>current Platinum DVD. The "original" film (as shown in IMAX theaters
>in 2003) IS on the current Platinum DVD. Period.
>
>For example, there's still a big difference between the 1994 original:
>
><http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>
>
>and the 2003 "original":
>
><http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>
>
>-Junior

I hate it when they do that! Why mess with something like that? If was
fine as it was. I am not so sure I want to buy it now.

Mischa

Brian \Demolition Man\ Little

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Mischa van Dinter <(E-Mail Removed)> said in a panic:
> I hate it when they do that! Why mess with something like that? If was
> fine as it was. I am not so sure I want to buy it now.
>
> Mischa

So you are not going to buy it just because a few seconds of
the film got enhanced? My god some people are so picky.

--

Maverick <(E-Mail Removed)> said in a panic:
> I just bought the gift set yesterday at Circuit City, the DVD transfer
> is amazing, but it's Disney's "Enhanced Home Theater Mix" that really
> shines.

The book is pretty decent too, but its the lithographs that more
than make up for the extra cost of the gift set. I'm happy with
mine, as I consider it to be one of my ultimate crown jewels in
my DVD collection alongside my Criterion edition of "Spartacus,"
"2001: A Space Odyssey" and eventually all three extended
"Lord Of The Rings" films.

--
Brian "Demolition Man" Little