Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HDTV

KSB

1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?
2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

KSB

Mark Jones

"KSB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qOYfb.40326$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

No as a general rule. There have been a few HD movies released,
but the number is fairly low. Most movies are recorded is SD
format.

> 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

You will need a HD-DVD player if you want to play the limited
number of HD videos. Most general release DVDs will work
better if you use a progressive scan DVD player and your
HDTV system has line-doubling capability.

Jay G

"KSB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

All DVDs are in standard formats, either NTSC or PAL.
Some transfers have been taken from High-Def sources,
but what's actually on the DVD is in standard format.
Of course, an anamorphic DVD will contain extra information
for a widescreen DVD, which can be shown on a HDTV.
But again, it's not HDTV format.

> 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

You don't *need* a special DVD player to play a DVD on
an HDTV monitor. However, getting a progressive-scan
DVD player is recommended, as it will improve the image.

-Jay

Dan Perlberger

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F7Zfb.2615$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "KSB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qOYfb.40326$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

> No as a general rule. There have been a few HD movies released,
> but the number is fairly low. Most movies are recorded is SD
> format.

What HD DVDs have been released? The only one which is sort of an HD
release is T2-Extreme Edition, which contains an HD res Windows Media 9
file.

Other than that, I can't think of any DVDs with HD video on it. The only HD
home video releases are the DVHS releases.

> > 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

> You will need a HD-DVD player if you want to play the limited
> number of HD videos. Most general release DVDs will work
> better if you use a progressive scan DVD player and your
> HDTV system has line-doubling capability.

What HD-DVD players are available? It is the year 2003 right? You're not
writing this article from the year 2005 or something are you?

Dan

Mark Jones

"Dan Perlberger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1D%fb.27335$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> What HD-DVD players are available? It is the year 2003 right? You're not
> writing this article from the year 2005 or something are you?

Sony has a recorder and player, but it costs as much as a very
good HDTV set. Not likely to have very many buyers.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/blu-ray/index.html

I will run a search and see if I can find any movies for this system,
but I would imagine the number is going to be very small.

Mark Jones

"Dan Perlberger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1D%fb.27335$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> What HD DVDs have been released? The only one which is sort of an HD
> release is T2-Extreme Edition, which contains an HD res Windows Media 9
> file.
>
> Other than that, I can't think of any DVDs with HD video on it. The only

HD
> home video releases are the DVHS releases.

I guess it is actually too soon for any HD-DVD titles.

When Sony made a HD-DVD recorder/player available, I thought
that they would have made at least a few Sony movies available.
It would appear that you would have to record your own from
a HD source.

Dan P.

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ie0gb.3452$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "Dan Perlberger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1D%fb.27335$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > What HD-DVD players are available? It is the year 2003 right? You're

not
> > writing this article from the year 2005 or something are you?

> Sony has a recorder and player, but it costs as much as a very
> good HDTV set. Not likely to have very many buyers.
>
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/blu-ray/index.html
>
> I will run a search and see if I can find any movies for this system,
> but I would imagine the number is going to be very small.

Ahh, you meant the Blu-Ray recorder. I'm pretty sure that this is currently
a recording system only, i.e. no movies are available on the Blu-Ray format
yet.

Dan

Richard C.

"KSB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qOYfb.40326$(E-Mail Removed). net...
: 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

==========
no
============

: 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

=========
see above
============
:
: KSB
:
:

Richard C.

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F7Zfb.2615$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
: "KSB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:qOYfb.40326$(E-Mail Removed). net...
: > 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?
: No as a general rule. There have been a few HD movies released,
: but the number is fairly low. Most movies are recorded is SD
: format.

==============
NO DVDs have been released in HD (except for computer versions)
===============
:
: > 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?
: You will need a HD-DVD player if you want to play the limited
: number of HD videos. Most general release DVDs will work
: better if you use a progressive scan DVD player and your
: HDTV system has line-doubling capability.
:
==============
There is no such thing as an HD-DVD player.

Mark Jones

news:3f817ba3$0$36980$(E-Mail Removed) m...

ATI HDTV Wonder card can capture HDTV pictures in 1080i or 1080p and print out as photos? Summercoolness@gmail.com Digital Photography 2 07-15-2006 03:02 PM
hdtv William Powell Computer Support 6 09-26-2005 03:16 PM
EDTV vs. HDTV Scribner Computer Support 2 01-06-2005 01:54 AM
HDTV pcbutts1 Computer Support 8 10-14-2004 02:21 AM
Panasonic 47' PT-47WX53 HDTV Pastor Marc Computer Support 1 07-13-2004 04:51 PM

Advertisments