Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Scarface review at Compressed Data!

Reply
Thread Tools

Scarface review at Compressed Data!

 
 
Compressed Data
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2003
We have a review of "Scarface: Anniversary Edition" on the site. Come by and take a look at: www.compressed-data.com.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Master Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:15:55 GMT, "Compressed Data" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have a review of "Scarface: Anniversary Edition" on the site. Come by and take a look at: www.compressed-data.com.



you really are stupid if you think anyone in their right mind would open an attachment from a public group.

Is there no limit to the lowlife on the Internet?

Doc Speedbyrd
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Binder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003


Master Bird wrote:
> you really are stupid if you think anyone in their right mind would open an attachment from a public group.


What are you talking about? He put up a link to his (or her) website
review of Scarface. How is that unusual?

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
Master Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:45:58 -0700, Bill Binder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>Master Bird wrote:
>> you really are stupid if you think anyone in their right mind would open an attachment from a public group.

>
>What are you talking about? He put up a link to his (or her) website
>review of Scarface. How is that unusual?
>
>Bill



On the message I saw, it was an unrecognized attachment.

Doc Speedbyrd
 
Reply With Quote
 
w.g.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003
Somewhere around 3 Oct 2003 21:37:11 -0500, Master Bird was brave
enough to write:


>
>
>On the message I saw, it was an unrecognized attachment.
>
> Doc Speedbyrd

Check your settings . I saw a link and an attachment with my default
browser icon ,which I would assume was the whole web page in question.
I have same newsreader as you btw. Me thinks that it looks normal to
OE users.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read."--Steven Wright
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tnpnr@mind+spring.com
remove the +
 
Reply With Quote
 
Master Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 07:20:58 GMT, w.g. <bowling@the_10.pin> wrote:

>Somewhere around 3 Oct 2003 21:37:11 -0500, Master Bird was brave
>enough to write:
>
>
>>
>>
>>On the message I saw, it was an unrecognized attachment.
>>
>> Doc Speedbyrd

>Check your settings . I saw a link and an attachment with my default
>browser icon ,which I would assume was the whole web page in question.
>I have same newsreader as you btw. Me thinks that it looks normal to
>OE users.
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read."--Steven Wright
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>tnpnr@mind+spring.com
>remove the +



A cop once pulled me over for going to wrong way down a one-way street and he said,
'didn't you see the arrow?' I replied,
'No, I didn't even see the Indians'.

It cost me a traffic fine but it was worth it!

Doc Speedbyrd
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scot Gardner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003
"Master Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:45:58 -0700, Bill Binder

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >Master Bird wrote:
> >> you really are stupid if you think anyone in their right mind would
> >> open an attachment from a public group.

> >
> >What are you talking about? He put up a link to his (or her) website
> >review of Scarface. How is that unusual?
> >
> >Bill

>
>
> On the message I saw, it was an unrecognized attachment.
>
> Doc Speedbyrd


The message was posted in HTML, which certainly is not a polite format
for a newsgroup. However, there is no attachment:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">


 
Reply With Quote
 
Master Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2003
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 07:44:06 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Master Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:45:58 -0700, Bill Binder

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >
>> >Master Bird wrote:
>> >> you really are stupid if you think anyone in their right mind would
>> >> open an attachment from a public group.
>> >
>> >What are you talking about? He put up a link to his (or her) website
>> >review of Scarface. How is that unusual?
>> >
>> >Bill

>>
>>
>> On the message I saw, it was an unrecognized attachment.
>>
>> Doc Speedbyrd

>
>The message was posted in HTML, which certainly is not a polite format
>for a newsgroup. However, there is no attachment:
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
><HTML><HEAD>
><META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
>charset=3Diso-8859-1">
>




Ok. Forte Agent was reading it as something that looked suspicious to me. No prob.

Doc Speedbyrd
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scot Gardner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2003
"Master Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 07:44:06 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote:
>
> >"Master Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:45:58 -0700, Bill Binder

> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Master Bird wrote:
> >> > you really are stupid if you think anyone in their right mind
> >> > would open an attachment from a public group.
> >> >
> >> > What are you talking about? He put up a link to his (or her)
> >> > website review of Scarface. How is that unusual?
> >> >
> >> >Bill
> >>
> >>
> >> On the message I saw, it was an unrecognized attachment.
> >>
> >> Doc Speedbyrd

> >
> >The message was posted in HTML, which certainly is not a polite
> >format for a newsgroup. However, there is no attachment:
> >
> ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> ><HTML><HEAD>
> ><META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> >charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> >

>
>
>
> Ok. Forte Agent was reading it as something that looked suspicious
> to me. No prob.
>
> Doc Speedbyrd



You are still well justified in being suspicious of that post. There
have been instances on this newsgroup where pranksters and spammers have
made HTML posts which automatically go to websites, create pop ups and
run malicious prank programs.

The most recent of these pranks came from TGOS:

The first TGOS post was HTML and had a JavaScript program designed to
run a little pop-up message saying:

"** WARNING ** VirusScan has detected the TGOS virus on your hard drive.
If you have recently opened an email or newsgroup message and see this
alert your system is infected." Internet Explorer would hang and could
only be closed by hitting CTRL + ALT + DEL and then selecting End Task.

The second post opened an Internet Explorer window and went to:

window.open("http://www.tgos.org/world-of-tgos.html")

A third message didn't appear to have any scripting, but a little batch
file still crashed Outlook Express. It will takes more than a killfile
to eliminate these risks.

So far, these TGOS messages have all come from ntlworld.com and have
been relatively benign in that there was no harm done to the computers
that ran them. However, other such script programs are not so harmless
in that they can contain destructive elements.

Therefore, it is imperative that all ActiveX, Scripting and Java be set
to "prompt" -- at the very least -- in the Restricted Sites section of
the Security settings, as a bare minimum protection level.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of "Scarface", 5 of 5 stars Mike Shea DVD Video 12 10-17-2003 10:06 AM
Legally Blonde 2 Review at Compressed Data! Compressed Data DVD Video 0 10-15-2003 08:14 PM
The Core Review at Compressed Data! Compressed Data DVD Video 0 09-14-2003 04:04 PM
The Hills Have Eyes Review At Compressed Data! Compressed Data DVD Video 0 09-10-2003 04:49 AM
Re: Scarface 1983 re-release? David Wills DVD Video 2 07-07-2003 03:58 PM



Advertisments