Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Newbie Ques??: Camcorder to disk

Newbie Ques??: Camcorder to disk

Joe Boater

Hello, And thanks in advance for your help.
I'm trying to copy video fron a (non-digital) Hi-8 tape camcorder to compac
disk (mpeg, dvd, avi, or whatever) I have a video capture card and "Ulead
video studio 6 basic"
I know the camera is correctly connected to the computer. I can see both
real time and recorded video on the computer monitor. When I try to record
to disk, I get an error message" MPEG capture does not support RGB 16
Format. Please change codec. It is reccomended that you use codec (1) YUV or
(2) RGB-24 codec."
These codecs are not an option in "Ulead video studio 6 basic". What
software (freeware or shareware) is my best option to be able to back up my
library of Hi-8 tapes to disk, and what format (mpeg, avi, etc) would best
suit my purpose?
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks..
DB

Watty

Joe Boater wrote:
> Hello, And thanks in advance for your help.
> I'm trying to copy video fron a (non-digital) Hi-8 tape camcorder to
> compac disk (mpeg, dvd, avi, or whatever) I have a video capture card
> and "Ulead video studio 6 basic"
> I know the camera is correctly connected to the computer. I can see
> both real time and recorded video on the computer monitor. When I try
> to record to disk, I get an error message" MPEG capture does not
> support RGB 16 Format. Please change codec. It is reccomended that
> you use codec (1) YUV or (2) RGB-24 codec."
> These codecs are not an option in "Ulead video studio 6 basic". What
> software (freeware or shareware) is my best option to be able to back
> up my library of Hi-8 tapes to disk, and what format (mpeg, avi, etc)
> would best suit my purpose?
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
> Thanks..
> DB

You can't capture in MPEG format, not at any sensible format.

Codecs for analog capture are:
Huffyuv (free goggle for it)
MJPEG (Not free, but installing "free older ShowShiffter registers Pic
Video version)

A HARDWARE MJPEG codec such as Pinacle DC10 or a Hardware DV bridge
(Digital Camera AV in to Firewire out or standalone DV bridge) works
better.

Use Virtual Dub, Virtual VCR, or iuVCR etc to capture. Defrag the disk
first.

Firewire is *NOT* capture, but file transfer, the "Capture" is in the DV
bridge or Digital Camera to DV format (like MJPEG), which is then "file
transferred" via iLink/Firewire. You may need to disable the firewire
port as a Network device so as to "recognise" a DV bridge / Digital
Camera.

Convert to MPEG after capture (ideally after edit).

It is MUCH harder to get decent analog capture than Digital Transfer (I
have done both, inc 8mm analog Tape using a TV capture card.)

And yes YUV format is best as this is native to most analog capture
chips.

RGB16 is VERRY poor and not usually compatible (only 3 bits / 8 levels
per colour instead of 255 levels) True RGB is waste full as the native
format is YUV and the "extra" information must be interpolated on the
fly. IN YUV less samples are used for Colour than for the B&W part of
the image, but this is fine as (1) Your eyes work this way, (2)MPEG
works this way too.

--
Watty
Ireland.