Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ALIEN Quadrilogy DVD Details

ALIEN Quadrilogy DVD Details

Jonathan Stryker

I just read these details off of
http://red2.axg.net/index.asp?folder=images but have no way of knowing
if this is correct. Can anyone confirm the following:

ALIEN (Director's Cut)

Ridley Scott Introduction To the 2003 Director's Cut (55s)
Bob Burns Alien Collection (16m 52s)
Ridley Scott Q&A (15m 38s)
Interviews With Ridley Scott (8m 18s)
Alien Evolution Documentary (64m 31s)
Deleted Scenes (15m 42s)
Future Tense: Music & Editing Documentary (16m 28s)
Sigourney Weaver's Screen Test with Commentary (4m 26s)
Sigourney Weaver's Screen Test without Commentary (4m 26s)
Alien Theatrical Trailer A (1m 07s)
The Director's Cut Film Trailer
Fear Of The Unknown Shepperton Studios 1978 Documentary (24m 3s)
The Darkest Reaches Nostromo & Alien Planet Featurette (17m 27s)
A Nightmare Fulfilled: Reaction to the Film Featurette (19m 19s)
Multi-Angle Chestbuster without Commentary
Star Beast: Developing the Story Featurette (18m 9s)
The Eighth Passenger - Creature Design Documentary (31m 33s)
Outward Bound: Visual Effects Featurette (18m 51s)
The Visualists Direction & Design (16m 41s)
Production and Outtake Footage (20m 59s)
Truckers in Space: Casting Featurette (15m 46s)
Experience In Terror: Promo Featurette '79 (7m 8s)
ALIENS (Director's Cut)

Building Better Worlds: From Concept To Construction Featurette (13m
28s)
The Final Countdown: Music, Editing And Sound Featurette (15m 30s)
Aliens Unleashed: Reaction To The Film Featurette (11m 38s)
Beauty And The Bitch: Power Loader VS Queen Alien Featurette (22m 25s)
This Time It's War: Pinewood Studios (1985 Featurette) (19m 39s)
The Power Of Real Tech: Visual Effects Featurette (27m 49s)
Bug Hunt: Creature Design (16m 23s)
The Risk Always Lives: Weapons And Action Featurette (15m 12s)
Preparing For Battle: Casting and Characterization Featurette (16m
59s)
57 Years Later: Continuing the Story Featurette (10m 59s)
Two Orphans: Sigourney Weaver and Carrie Henn Featurette (13m 47s)
Multi-Angle Pre-Vis Animatics With Commentary (3m 12s)
Multi-Angle Pre-Vis Animatics Without Commentary (3m 14s)
Interview With James Cameron (9m 29s)
James Cameron Interview/Film Footage (3m 13s)
James Cameron Intro to Extended Version (31s)
Production Footage (8m 9s)
Aliens International Trailer (29s)
Aliens Domestic Trailer (32s)
Aliens TV Spots (29s)
Easteregg: The Boy And His Power Loader (9m 35s)
Alien TV Spots (37s)
ALIEN 3 (Director's Cut)

Alien 3 Advance Featurette (2m 47)
The Making Of Alien 3 (22m 25s)
Furnace Construction: Time Lapse Sequence Featurette (4m 33s)
Tales Of The Wooden Planet: Vincent Ward's Vision Featurette (13m 9s)
Multi-Angle Segment E.E.V. Bioscan with Commentary (12m 1s)
Optical Fury: Visual Effects Featurette (23m 18s)
Music, Editing & Sound Featurette (14m 50s)
Post Mortem: Reaction to the Film Featurette (5m 46s)
Xeno-Erotic: H.R. Giger's Redesign Featurette (10m 17s)
Production Part One Featurette (18m 0s)
Pre-Production Part Three Featurette (1m 39s)
Development: Concluding the Story Featurette (16m 54s)
Adaptive Organism: Creature Design Featurette (20m 31s)
Alien 3 Trailer A (1m 00s)
Alien 3 Trailer B (1m 07s)
Alien 3 Trailer C (1m 01s)
Alien 3 Trailer D (31s)
Alien 3 Trailer E (1m 06s)
Alien 3 TV Spots (2m 41s)
ALIEN RESURRECTION (Director's Cut)

Director's Audio Commentary
Introduction To Extended Version (44s)
A Matter Of Scale: Minature Photography Featurette (22m 48s)
Death From Below: Underwater Photography Featurette (31m 35s)
In The Zone: The Basketball Scene Featurette
French Twist: Direction and Design Featurette (26m 07s)
Under The Skin: Casting and Characterization Featurette (12m 44s)
Virtual Aliens: Computer Generated Imagery Featurette (9m 51s)
Multi-Angle Segments Without Commentary (8m 34s)
Test Footage Creatures and Costume Segments (14m 27s)
Critical Juncture: Reaction to the Film Featurette (14m 26s)
From The Ashes: Reviving The Story Featurette (10m 3s)
Genetic Composition Music Featurette (13m 8s)
Unnatural Mutation: Creature Design Featurette (26m 21s)
The Making Of Alien Resurrection (25m 42s)
Theatrical Trailer (2m 19s)
TV Spots (1m 41s)
Bonus Disc

Alien Evolution BBC Documentary (75m)
Alien Quadrilogy Trailer (1m 05s)
Alien Legacy Trailer (1m 05s)

Thank you,
JS

Wade365

If these prints are all like the one I caught on STARZ the other afternoon, I'm
not going to bother with the new and hunt down the old... the added footage in
"Aliens" was so unneccessary and I thought really diminished the tension of the
Marines landing at the colony for the first time... no sir, I don't like it...
telegraphing the whole story by showing the colonists heading out to find the
ship (ala Burke's memo which we find out about MUCH LATER in a key scene which
reveals just how big a scumbucket he is, not to mention underscoring the evil
of the Corporation) is dumbing down which paseth all understanding...

Why do the studios allow the directors to go back and second-guess the
editorial process? John Carpenter has messed up the pacing of a few of his
films this way... not everything comes out for the better when they are allowed
to do this... "Pitch Black" was the same way... I had a decent time in the
theater enjoying the cookie-cutter plot and stuff and then I get it on DVD and
they've altered the damned thing to where what's-his-face (the XXX - Guy) even
acts differently, turns into a nicer guy, more 'hero' than 'anti-hero'
(presumably cuz they're making another movie about the character soon).

Han Solo shot FIRST, gah-dammit!!! Quit changing my theater experience at the
last minute... if you're going to add this sort of crap then make it possible
to view the film with and without the "extended" material... it just can't be
that difficult.

RR

Wade365 wrote:
> If these prints are all like the one I caught on STARZ the other
> afternoon, I'm not going to bother with the new and hunt down the
> old... the added footage in "Aliens" was so unneccessary and I
> thought really diminished the tension of the Marines landing at the
> colony for the first time... no sir, I don't like it... telegraphing
> the whole story by showing the colonists heading out to find the ship
> (ala Burke's memo which we find out about MUCH LATER in a key scene
> which reveals just how big a scumbucket he is, not to mention
> underscoring the evil of the Corporation) is dumbing down which
> paseth all understanding...

It depends on the film. Personally I'm looking ~very~ forward to the DC of
Alien3. The studio tore that one to shreds and it'll be very cool to see
what Fincher's original intention was. I can't imagine that it'll be worse
than what was released in theatres - it would almost *have* to be an
improvement. I like "Alien:Res" quite a bit, so I'm curious as to what's
been changed and/or added to that one. I seriously hope I don't feel about
it as you do with "Aliens" because I don't want to like "Res" less than I
liked the theatrical version.

--
RR

If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't
include the right to experiment with your own consciousness,
then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on. - Terence McKenna

Tarkus

On 02 Oct 2003 17:36:33 GMT, Wade365 wrote:

> Why do the studios allow the directors to go back and second-guess the
> editorial process?

Because it's the director's film in the first place, and because it gives
them something additional to market in the second place.
--
"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies
Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain.

Now playing: the radio

Lord Vader III

Wade365 wrote:

> Why do the studios allow the directors to go back and second-guess the
> editorial process?

Because most of the time, the studio wants the movie at a certain
length. Say a director finishes his movie and it comes in at 2.5 hours
but the studio only wants a 2 hour film. He then has to go back and
trim 30 minutes from his version of the film. The theatrical release
then ends up not being what the director wanted us to see. Director's
cuts on DVDs lets the director show us exactly what he wanted us to see.

LVIII

Jay G

"Wade365" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> If these prints are all like the one I caught on STARZ the other

afternoon, I'm
> not going to bother with the new and hunt down the old... the added

footage in
> "Aliens" was so unneccessary and I thought really diminished the tension

of the
> Marines landing at the colony for the first time...

If you want the original cut of ALIENS, then you'll
want to wait for the new DVD set. The new
set apparently will let you choose between the
original and extended cut, while the old DVD
only contained the extended cut.

-Jay

Wade365

<< Director's
cuts on DVDs lets the director show us exactly what he wanted us to see. >>

And with very few exceptions to date, the editor's "tempering", shall we say,
of that vision (no matter at WHO'S direction studio OR director) often proves
to be the better call... most of the added stuff I've seen disrupts the picture
IMO.

Just my opinion.

Can you show me examples besides "Apocolypse Now"and change my mind?

Wade365

<< The new
set apparently will let you choose between the
original and extended cut, while the old DVD
only contained the extended cut. >>

This is good news, and the way it ought to be presented to the consumer (as
with "Abyss").
Thanks!

CLOSEDOWN8

All four films will be presented in their original forms in addition to the
altered cuts that are being included.
--------------------------------
"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

fredman

On 03 Oct 2003 02:33:00 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)mbleek (CLOSEDOWN
wrote:

>All four films will be presented in their original forms in addition to the
>altered cuts that are being included.
>--------------------------------
>"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

That's great - and the way it should be. I have the Legacy box and am
a little disappointed with "Aliens" - wishing to get the theatrical
version or a choice of which to watch. I am NOT looking forward to
the DC of "Alien" - which I thought was near perfect as released
theatrically. Directors, bring on the DCs - just give us the choice
of DC or original theatrical version when you do! Cheers.
regards,

(E-Mail Removed)