Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Newbie confused over ICS

Newbie confused over ICS

Nuf Zed

I have a desktop with a hard-wired DSL modem for Internet access - and it
works fine.
There is also a laptop "networked" to this machine via a wireless WAP. The
network works fine e.g. file& printer sharing etc. but I cannot access the
internet from the LT.

At the DT under Network Connections there are 2 icons - one for the DSL
modem and one for the wireless adaptor.
Which one has to be enabled for ICS /

NZ

Tom Lake

"Nuf Zed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do0brc$ch8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a desktop with a hard-wired DSL modem for Internet access - and it
>works fine.
> There is also a laptop "networked" to this machine via a wireless WAP. The
> network works fine e.g. file& printer sharing etc. but I cannot access the
> internet from the LT.
>
> At the DT under Network Connections there are 2 icons - one for the DSL
> modem and one for the wireless adaptor.
> Which one has to be enabled for ICS /

Have you tried both? Does the wireless connection have a firewall? Does
the DSL
connection?

Tom Lake

David Ellis

Nuf Zed wrote:
> I have a desktop with a hard-wired DSL modem for Internet access - and it
> works fine.
> There is also a laptop "networked" to this machine via a wireless WAP. The
> network works fine e.g. file& printer sharing etc. but I cannot access the
> internet from the LT.
>
> At the DT under Network Connections there are 2 icons - one for the DSL
> modem and one for the wireless adaptor.
> Which one has to be enabled for ICS /
>
> NZ

You might find MSKB article 306126, "How to configure
Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP" helpful. Sorry I
don't have the URL handy. The setting for enabling ICS is
associated with the Internet connection.

When I connected a home LAN to a wireless access point using
ICS I found the following article indispensable. Its
procedures filled the gaps left by Network Setup Wizard.

--David