Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: What do I need for laserdisc to dvd transfers?

Re: What do I need for laserdisc to dvd transfers?

FUGITIVE

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:48:03 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Matt Ackeret) wrote:

>In article <cWX0b.211573$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Edward Holub <(E-Mail Removed)@sw.rr.com> wrote:
>>Hey folks,
>> There's still a lot of programming on laserdisc that's not available on
>>DVD and before the day comes when laserdisc players go the way of the
>>dinosaur, I want them transferred to DVD.
>> What sort of set-up would I need?

>There are standalone DVD recorders under $400 nowadays. (There's an
>Apex one under $300, I think closer to $200, announced but I'm not sure
>if it's out yet.)
>
>There are also standalone DVD recorders that have hard drives in them,
>so you can record to the hard drive, edit the recordings, and burn to
>DVD. The one I'm following most closely (Panasonic DMR-E80) is almost
>at the $500 price point.

And what about the Macrovision protection ?

Biz

"FUGITIVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:48:03 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed)
> (Matt Ackeret) wrote:
>
> >In article <cWX0b.211573$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >Edward Holub <(E-Mail Removed)@sw.rr.com> wrote:
> >>Hey folks,
> >> There's still a lot of programming on laserdisc that's not available

on
> >>DVD and before the day comes when laserdisc players go the way of the
> >>dinosaur, I want them transferred to DVD.
> >> What sort of set-up would I need?

> >There are standalone DVD recorders under $400 nowadays. (There's an
> >Apex one under $300, I think closer to $200, announced but I'm not sure
> >if it's out yet.)
> >
> >There are also standalone DVD recorders that have hard drives in them,
> >so you can record to the hard drive, edit the recordings, and burn to
> >DVD. The one I'm following most closely (Panasonic DMR-E80) is almost
> >at the $500 price point.

> And what about the Macrovision protection ?

Laserdiscs didnt have macrovision copy protection

Darrel Christenson

> And what about the Macrovision protection ?

There is no copy protection on laserdiscs, the format
does not support it.

Darrel

DarkMatter

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:30:42 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>Laserdiscs didnt have macrovision copy protection

I was under the impression that some did, prior to "the end" of
their public service career...

DarkMatter

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:34:48 GMT, Darrel Christenson
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>> And what about the Macrovision protection ?

>There is no copy protection on laserdiscs, the format
>does not support it.

Since it is analog, tell us how it wouldn't be supported. I think
you wanted to say "It was never embraced by the studios for that
format." As far as I know, the medium would carry it fine, were it
ever implemented for it.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:24:28 -0700, DarkMatter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:34:48 GMT, Darrel Christenson
><(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>

>>> And what about the Macrovision protection ?

>>There is no copy protection on laserdiscs, the format
>>does not support it.

> Since it is analog, tell us how it wouldn't be supported. I think
>you wanted to say "It was never embraced by the studios for that
>format." As far as I know, the medium would carry it fine, were it
>ever implemented for it.

The sync signals as recovered from the laserdisc are used to lock the
rotation of the disc to the players NTSC or PAL reference. If the
sync were distorted, as it is in Copyguard or Macrovision, the disc
could not lock and the picture would be broken up. VHS does not have
this requirement for off-tape sync since the servo reference comes
from a separate control Track and a FG pulse created by the rotation
of the video head. And that is why 3/4" and Betacam tapes can not
have Macrovision, the off-tape sync is used as a head-switching point
reference in all Betacam and most 3/4" machines. A few professional
VHS decks also require off-tape sync, they exhibit breakup and jitter
when playing Macrovisioned or copyguarded tapes.

ALL professional analog video devices require clean sync form the
storage media, Laserdisc is a professional format, as conceived. Note
that DVD has the sync completely generated outside the media. The
sync is created by the playback hardware, as is the Macrovision. A
DVD can not "contain" macrovision, since it has no sync signals on the
storage media.

. Steve .

DUNCAN MARK MILTON-HEAD

Well at the risk of somebody sending a lot of abuse I will answer this as I
do it myself.
Firstly I have the Pinnacle DV500 with which I capture my laser discs to the
hardrive in AVI format. I then use ULead Movie Factory to "render" the AVI
to DVD and burn it.

I do not say that this is the only way to do it but I find it near perfect.
You do not have to worry about macrovision in this case as the laser disc
does not seem to have it. You will have to do a careful bit of editing when
you render it if the disc "turnover" is in the middle of a scene which it
always seems to be. I fyou find that Movie Factory will not accept the
entire movie within the parameters you want just press cancel once it is
rendered and then use "Disc Copy" to make your dvd.

Hope this helps

Zimmy

I think the tougher issue that most people want, is to get the AC3/DTS
tracks from the LD and synch them when making the DVD.
Getting the video is fairly easy but those digital tracks are a bit
trickier.
I always wanted to make a DVD of my Star Wars 5.1 LD Trilogy but I read it
wasn't worth the time it would take.

"DUNCAN MARK MILTON-HEAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:bledn7$n3p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well at the risk of somebody sending a lot of abuse I will answer this as

> do it myself.
> Firstly I have the Pinnacle DV500 with which I capture my laser discs to

the
> hardrive in AVI format. I then use ULead Movie Factory to "render" the AVI
> to DVD and burn it.
>
> I do not say that this is the only way to do it but I find it near

perfect.
> You do not have to worry about macrovision in this case as the laser disc
> does not seem to have it. You will have to do a careful bit of editing

when
> you render it if the disc "turnover" is in the middle of a scene which it
> always seems to be. I fyou find that Movie Factory will not accept the
> entire movie within the parameters you want just press cancel once it is
> rendered and then use "Disc Copy" to make your dvd.
>
> Hope this helps

unclejr

"Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> I think the tougher issue that most people want, is to get the AC3/DTS
> tracks from the LD and synch them when making the DVD.
> Getting the video is fairly easy but those digital tracks are a bit
> trickier.
> I always wanted to make a DVD of my Star Wars 5.1 LD Trilogy but I read it
> wasn't worth the time it would take.

You will have to capture with the CMI 8738 sound card to get a bit for
bit recording of AC-3 audio (from your RF demodulator) onto your
computer in PCM (48 kHz 16-bit stereo) format. You will also have to
get the correct driver for your OS:

<http://www.cmedia.com.tw/download/OS_e-cmi8738_index.htm>

Then you have to edit out all of the gaps from the sidebreaks, etc
with something like Cool Edit. And then you have to transcode the
edited PCM file with BeSplit to AC3.

Then, you get to the hard part... you have to sync it to your captured
video. Yes, a pain and very tedious, but very doable -- I've done it
once and it worked out pretty well.

-Junior

Zimmy

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > I think the tougher issue that most people want, is to get the AC3/DTS
> > tracks from the LD and synch them when making the DVD.
> > Getting the video is fairly easy but those digital tracks are a bit
> > trickier.
> > I always wanted to make a DVD of my Star Wars 5.1 LD Trilogy but I read

it
> > wasn't worth the time it would take.

> You will have to capture with the CMI 8738 sound card to get a bit for
> bit recording of AC-3 audio (from your RF demodulator) onto your
> computer in PCM (48 kHz 16-bit stereo) format. You will also have to
> get the correct driver for your OS:
>
> <http://www.cmedia.com.tw/download/OS_e-cmi8738_index.htm>
>
> Then you have to edit out all of the gaps from the sidebreaks, etc
> with something like Cool Edit. And then you have to transcode the
> edited PCM file with BeSplit to AC3.
>
> Then, you get to the hard part... you have to sync it to your captured
> video. Yes, a pain and very tedious, but very doable -- I've done it
> once and it worked out pretty well.
>
> -Junior

That sounds like too much work. If you are upconverting the AC3 tracks to
PCM, why not just capture the PCM audio directly?

What I would want to do is keep the 5.1 tracks and port them over to DVD.