Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD recorders

DVD recorders

Mikey

I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer) and
was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD players in
case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to friends or family? Are
there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL formats?

thanks

Trevor S

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mikey) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer)
> and was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD
> players in case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to
> friends or family? Are there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL
> formats?

The new SONY can record to +RW -R and -RW (no +R).
Personally I think the Pansonis are the cream of the crop, you might as
well stick to VHS, as none of them have timeslip (an absolute must have for
me) I also find I get more use out of my HDD model. I record some ESPN
for a friend from time to time, when I moved from VHS to DVD, he
simpily purchased a -RAM compatabe DVD player.

I often reauthor on my PC to -R (cutting out ad's, putting in fancy menus
etc), , TMPGEnc DVD Author supports the Pansonic -RAM VRO files direct from the -RAM DISK)

I have a Pana E-30 and E-100H

You can visit the AVS DVD recordable forums for more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...2e&forumid=106

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

FredBillie

<< From: (E-Mail Removed) (Mikey)
Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2003 8:30 PM

I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer) and
was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD players in
case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to friends or family? Are
there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL formats?

>><BR><BR>

Both formats are about equal in compatibility but the Panasonic has an edge on
features and flexibility with Ram drives (that allow Time Slip) and hard drives
for easy editing out of commercials. Other units have hard drives but tend to
be pricey.

Matt Ackeret

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Mikey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer) and
>was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD players in
>case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to friends or family? Are
>there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL formats?

As long as you can record in DVD-R, you'll be set. (I know someone will
likely reply that DVD+R is better.. but for usability in regular DVD
players, from everything I have read, they're pretty close to identical -- will
play in virtually all but the very earliest DVD players.)

Many DVD recorders *also* have a rewritable format that they can use.

Though I don't have one yet, the one I'm going to get (unless another
one comes out MUCH MUCH cheaper in the meantime) is the Panasonic DMR-E80.
It's about $500 nowadays (including shipping), and can do DVD-R and
DVD-RAM for rewritable. It also has a hard drive in it so you can edit
recordings, then dub to DVD. DVD-RAM is less popular as a rewritable format,
but personally, it has more features so I know I'll like it better -- you
can do the same kinds of PVR-like features when recording to DVD-RAM also.

Plus there are some new DVD players (at least from Panasonic, I think from
others too) that will play DVD-RAM too.. one is about $80 in current Fry's
ads. So I may pick one of those up so I can conveniently watch some recordings
in another room on rewritable media.