Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Meaningless Phrase "Remastered for DVD"

The Meaningless Phrase "Remastered for DVD"

CAndersen (Kimba)

While we're all out here going bonkers re-buying our favorite videos on
DVD, the DVD makers are repeatedly slapping us in the face.

I'm not talking about crap houses like Madacy, which teaches everyone
"with a name like Madacy, it has to be bad". I'm talking about the 'name'
companies.

Like the FHE Laurel and Hardy disc. We all know there are real remastered
L&Hs out there, and they give us syndication prints.

Like the Rhino Kimba the White Lion discs. You'd have to be deaf to accept
the sound they gave us for the theme song, but they go and even apply a
special sound logo to it! And no video work was done at all to their
syndication prints.

Now Warner Vision (Australian sub of AOL Time Warner) has released a
different set of Kimba discs--fair enough, there is a different version
going around worldwide TV syndication, but the video on these DVDs was
lifted directly from some _VCD_ release! AU$20 for DVDs from the biggest
corporation in the world and you get disguised VCDs! And the "bonus
features": some do not apply at all to the version of the show on the disc,
others were lifted directly from fan web sites without credit, including
pieces of an article written by Fred Patten and Robin Leyden.

On the other hand, there _are_ some good jobs done--like the R2 release of
"The Goodies". (I assume the R4 release is identical.) The restoration work
done on these shows is simply amazing. There's a short featurette on one
disc, showing the extent of the restoration work that was done, that should
be required viewing for anyone the least bit interested in the potential
for DVD releases.

I don't know if the company that produced the Goodies discs (Network) is
considered a big name or not--they certainly had the resources to do a
wonderful job. But will the (other) big names in the industry turn
"remastered for DVD" into as meaningless a phrase as "collectors' item"?

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

anthony

good point.... can't agree more.
Every single release on DVD is of material 'remastered for DVD' --
it's the most useless set of words ever released onto an unsuspecting
market.
The Goodies is a superb release, worth the long wait. And though I
haven't seen our Australian Region 4 release -- I imported the UK
version -- I believe it's identical.
But I'd exempt from your overall criticism the recent Region One
efforts by Warners. Their 'remasterings' really are fantastic. The
Special Editions of 'Singin' in the Rain' and 'Casablanca' and even of
the over-rated 'Citizen Kane' were fantastic jobs, and Amazon is
sending me right now the special edition of Errol Flynn's 'The
Adventures of Robin Hood', which is again meant to be a very special
remastering job.
So we get these great efforts -- and then we wait forever for
something like Paramount's 'To Catch a Thief', and get something
inferior to the old video-tape!

Wade365

The Goodies!

No one in America knows what I'm talking about when I say that... I remember
watching it as a kid on public television here in Chicago.

I assume Amazon UK has it?

CAndersen (Kimba)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008MJ0W

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

Justin

Wade365 wrote on [01 Oct 2003 15:00:44 GMT]:
> The Goodies!

Goodie Goodie Yum Yum

> I assume Amazon UK has it?

try ezydvd

Wade365

<< Goodie Goodie Yum Yum >>

.... as the white cat rides the tower down... YES!

Robby

"CAndersen (Kimba)" <KimbaWLion_aol.com@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> (E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) wrote:
>
> >The Goodies!
> >
> >No one in America knows what I'm talking about when I say that... I remember
> >watching it as a kid on public television here in Chicago.
> >
> >I assume Amazon UK has it?

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008MJ0W

so where's the R1 version? I need to put it next to my Monty
Python/Fawlty Towers/Black Adder/Young Ones/Neverwhere/Singing
Detective/Avengers/Prisoner/Captain Scarlet box sets

Wade365

<< so where's the R1 version? I need to put it next to my Monty
Python/Fawlty Towers/Black Adder/Young Ones/Neverwhere/Singing
Detective/Avengers/Prisoner/Captain Scarlet box sets >>

The Singing Detective is really good too... had it on VHS taped off public TV
for years and no one knew what I was talking about... but the Goodies would
really be nice to see again. I used to watch it along with Dr. Who when they
were running them one 30 min. ep at a time... gawd I feel old.

CAndersen (Kimba)

(E-Mail Removed) (Robby) wrote:

>so where's the R1 version?

Good luck.

The way I see it, your choice is to shell out $40 for an all-region player
on ebay, or wait the rest of your life for an R1 version.

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

anthony

You can get The Goodies at Region 2 at amazon.co.uk or blackstar.
But if you can handle Region 2, your player would certainly handle
Region 4, where the identical release is a whole lot cheaper.
Checkout Atlanticdvd.com.au, or ezydvd.com.au (one is sometimes
offering a better deal than the other, but they're both very reputable
traders).