Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Please help me understand this

Please help me understand this

Greg Kamer

Hi All,
I hope I'm posting this question to the right place.....

Heres what I want to do:

I have a DELL 2 ghz system with 256 meg RAM, intergrated video with a DVD
player.....

I want to be able to put a dvd in the player, but watch it on my TV. Someone
told me I have to get a video card that has TV Out capability.

So I looked at this card:

Leadtek WinFast A340 TD-128 Geforce FX5200 8XAGP 128MB VGA, DVI & TV-Out -
RETAIL

It says that is has TV Out. In looking at the pictures of this card, there
is the usual connection for my computer monitor. But there is also a connect
for something called s-video.

In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV. The TV
only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red. One is marked
video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....

If I brought this card, how would I connect my computer to the TV so that
when I play a DVD on my computer, it is displayed on my TV?

As you can guess, I'm pretty much a newbie to this computer video stuff, so
I might need some extra "hand holding"....

Thanks in advance.

---

Codswallop

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:59:06 GMT, Greg Kamer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> Leadtek WinFast A340 TD-128 Geforce FX5200 8XAGP 128MB VGA, DVI &
> TV-Out - RETAIL
>
> It says that is has TV Out. In looking at the pictures of this card,
> there is the usual connection for my computer monitor. But there is
> also a connect for something called s-video.
>
> In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV.
> The TV only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red.
> One is marked video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....

The White and Red are the stereo audio connectors. The Yellow one is
what's called "composite" video. S-Video is higher quality, but if your
TV doesn't have an S-Video plug, bad luck. You'd need to buy an adapter
in this case.

There are cards that come with S-Video -> Composite adapters, and other
cards that come with Composite outputs still on the market as far as I
can tell.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Colon Terminus

Take a look at the MediaMVP from Hauppage. It might be a better solution
than directly connecting your PC to your TV.

"Greg Kamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WqKdb.2186$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi All,
> I hope I'm posting this question to the right place.....
>
> Heres what I want to do:
>
> I have a DELL 2 ghz system with 256 meg RAM, intergrated video with a DVD
> player.....
>
> I want to be able to put a dvd in the player, but watch it on my TV.

Someone
> told me I have to get a video card that has TV Out capability.
>
> So I looked at this card:
>
> Leadtek WinFast A340 TD-128 Geforce FX5200 8XAGP 128MB VGA, DVI & TV-Out -
> RETAIL
>
> It says that is has TV Out. In looking at the pictures of this card, there
> is the usual connection for my computer monitor. But there is also a

connect
> for something called s-video.
>
> In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV. The

TV
> only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red. One is

marked
> video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....
>
> If I brought this card, how would I connect my computer to the TV so that
> when I play a DVD on my computer, it is displayed on my TV?
>
> As you can guess, I'm pretty much a newbie to this computer video stuff,

so
> I might need some extra "hand holding"....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> ---

salmoneous

> In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV. The TV
> only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red. One is marked
> video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....

The yellow jack is for a "composite" cable. A composite video cable
serves the same basic function as an s-video cable. S-video is the
preferred method as it will provide a superior picture. Unfortunately,
the two aren't compatible.

> If I brought this card, how would I connect my computer to the TV so that
> when I play a DVD on my computer, it is displayed on my TV?

You wouldn't

> As you can guess, I'm pretty much a newbie to this computer video stuff, so
> I might need some extra "hand holding"....
>
> Thanks in advance.

Here's some really annoying advice (feel free to take back the
thanks):

Step 1: Double check to be sure you TV-doesn't have s-video in

Step 2: If you have a VCR hooked up to your TV, see if it has s-video
in and can convert the s-video signal to however it is hooked up to
your TV

Step 3: If you relize you can plug an s-video cable into your TV, or
if your VCR can convert s-video for you, you can buy any card with
s-video out and you are in business. Personally, I like cheap ATI
cards if you aren't sold on the Ledtek.

Step 4: If you can't get an s-video cable into your TV, pick up a $59
DVD player next time you are in the grocery store or WalMart. It's a
*much* better machine for playing DVD's on your TV than trying to hook
up the computer. Heck, even if your TV does have s-video in, a
stand-alone player will look better and be much easier to use. PC's do
make great DVD players if you can hook it up digitally to your TV.

Step 5: If you really want to use your PC as a DVD-player, buy a new
TV with at least s-video in. However, to be really worthwhile for
hooking up to a TV, you want a big screen HDTV, ideally with a DVI
input.

There are some kludges out there that will allow you get a signal from
your computer to your composite input, but it won't look all that hot
and might be a pain.