Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Scarface

Reply
Thread Tools

Scarface

 
 
Dunf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2003
I picked up a copy of the new Scarface SE friday and had a chance to go
through all the extras and the film itself. First off, the transfer is 80%
better than the original direct bad print film to dvd version that Universal
slagged out there for a few years. I say 80% cause there is room for even
more improvement but, overall, the contrast, color levels, detail, and
simply the presense of more video information make this a must buy. Disc 1
has only the film with usual menu supplements-no easter eggs can be found on
this release. Disc 2, has a number of extras that we have all read about by
now including a 3 stage documentary on the making of Scarface, The Rebirth,
Creating, and Acting. There is a TV version that Marty Bregman sais works,
I say different. There is a comparison of the orig film vs' the editted down
TV version. Aside from the actors bodys being morphed cause of the awfull
full screen ratio, the words that replace the typical f, c and s dialogue
are replaced with common every day spouting like, chicken. The only thing
that is pointed out here is that Scarface is not meant for prime time TV.

The dvd packaging for Canada suspiciously omits the Def Jam production of
the influence of Scarface on urban culture. This what'updogumentary is quite
good and a little more lively and fast paced with all the typical hype you
will see by the folks at DefJam.

Actors nowhere to be found in the re-edited version of the original dvd
documentary are Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Logia, and the guy who played
Angel Fernandez. I thought considering he was in a major scene of the film
they should have talked to him about the chainsaw sequence.

The 3 part docu comes with new footage of the Marty Bregman sequence, the DP
of Photography, John A. Alonzo (to whom this dvd is dedicated since he
passed away in 2001) and Georgio Moroder playing a piano only version of the
theme while discussing the film. All of the Al Pacino interview footage is
from the very same sequences shot for the old dvd version; so, we have seen
most of it before. There is some additional added outtakes from Al's
interview intercut with stills of the making of Scarface.

Overall, I give this dvd a 8.5/10 deffinately worth picking up. What we
should all do is send Universal our earlier dvd version in a large bag of
rotting eggs with a thank you note. Remember, way back when studios like WB
released the Batman dvd and did a fine job of it. In fact, Batman is the
very first dvd released if I'm not mistaken. Why did they get that one right
when Universal didn't give a damn about the equally, if not more important,
Scarface. Important is a poor word to describe films as everyone has his or
her own idea of what to watch. Nonetheless, Universal made us wait 5 years
to see a decent version of this film. However, people like me went out and
bought the new dvd anyway...just what Universal wants.

Since I don't work in the entertainment industry I can say what I mean. I'm
not writing this to kiss some studios ass or fullfill some specific
contractual agreement to promote the dvd. Universal ****ed us over...just
the way Tony Montana was told "Don't **** me Tony". If you bought the first
dvd keep that in mind next time you consider purchasing other Universal
product. Let them know you can't be ****ed with. BTW, I don't pretend here
that Universal is the only studio that does this, but, lets face it, they do
it alot. They pull titles off the market for over a year only to fuel or
guarantee a great number of purchases of the re-issue a year later. That's
no better than a PC software company trying to sell you pop-up stoppers by
shoving a pop-up window in your face while you're on the internet.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Writer R5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2003
I thought your post was great and to the point. Thank you. I bought the new
Scarface DVD two weeks ago. It is the real thing too. Universal has lost a lot
of what I think people might coin as being quality of respect for their
product. I do reviews and have received DVDs from Universal to review, but I
just told them yesterday by E-mail that I am beinning to think that they really
don't care about what the consumers think and I am not alone in thid feeling. I
have seen many webmasters post things that were harsher than what I wrote them.
I think it has to do with the whole Vivendi merger and selling thing, but at
this point I will not lie to any of you and say I would never buy another
Universal DVD or review one they send me, but I think their status as a
reputable DVD producer and distributor has gone down and I am pretty ****ed off
too. I might send them your post since I think it was well written in hopes
that if they see what consumers in newgroups are writing, they will begin to
see the error in their ways. As it is I told them I and oother people think
Universal really doesn't care.

Mark
GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
http://www.genreonline.net
Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dunf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2003

"Writer R5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I thought your post was great and to the point. Thank you. I bought the

new
> Scarface DVD two weeks ago. It is the real thing too. Universal has lost a

lot
> of what I think people might coin as being quality of respect for their
> product. I do reviews and have received DVDs from Universal to review, but

I
> just told them yesterday by E-mail that I am beinning to think that they

really
> don't care about what the consumers think and I am not alone in thid

feeling. I
> have seen many webmasters post things that were harsher than what I wrote

them.
> I think it has to do with the whole Vivendi merger and selling thing, but

at
> this point I will not lie to any of you and say I would never buy another
> Universal DVD or review one they send me, but I think their status as a
> reputable DVD producer and distributor has gone down and I am pretty

****ed off
> too. I might send them your post since I think it was well written in

hopes
> that if they see what consumers in newgroups are writing, they will begin

to
> see the error in their ways. As it is I told them I and oother people

think
> Universal really doesn't care.
>
> Mark
> GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
> http://www.genreonline.net
> Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
> (E-Mail Removed)


Go ahead and send them the post Mark. BTW, you know me under a different
name from previous posts and have prob seen my rants about Universal before.
Thanks for the compliment; I have enjoyed many of your reviews in the past
aswell. Say hello to Kevin Smith for me aswell will ya. Is he going to
release Jersey Girl; just wondering.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dunf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2003

"Dunf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Zghdb.100917$(E-Mail Removed) able.rogers.com...
>
> "Writer R5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I thought your post was great and to the point. Thank you. I bought the

> new
> > Scarface DVD two weeks ago. It is the real thing too. Universal has lost

a
> lot
> > of what I think people might coin as being quality of respect for their
> > product. I do reviews and have received DVDs from Universal to review,

but
> I
> > just told them yesterday by E-mail that I am beinning to think that they

> really
> > don't care about what the consumers think and I am not alone in thid

> feeling. I
> > have seen many webmasters post things that were harsher than what I

wrote
> them.
> > I think it has to do with the whole Vivendi merger and selling thing,

but
> at
> > this point I will not lie to any of you and say I would never buy

another
> > Universal DVD or review one they send me, but I think their status as a
> > reputable DVD producer and distributor has gone down and I am pretty

> ****ed off
> > too. I might send them your post since I think it was well written in

> hopes
> > that if they see what consumers in newgroups are writing, they will

begin
> to
> > see the error in their ways. As it is I told them I and oother people

> think
> > Universal really doesn't care.
> >
> > Mark
> > GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
> > http://www.genreonline.net
> > Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
> > (E-Mail Removed)

>
> Go ahead and send them the post Mark. BTW, you know me under a different
> name from previous posts and have prob seen my rants about Universal

before.
> Thanks for the compliment; I have enjoyed many of your reviews in the past
> aswell. Say hello to Kevin Smith for me aswell will ya. Is he going to
> release Jersey Girl; just wondering.
>
>

I forgot to mention that, as many of you that are in the dvd/entertainment
business know, studios like Universal do apparantly have staff members that
visit newsgroups like this one to get public feedback. Weather they actually
take our comments to heart is another story. As I mentioned, I have no
affiliation with the film, tv or entertainment industry what so ever,
however, I own almost 400 dvds and have watch countless hours of film. I am
also well read on the subject of audio, dvd, mastering; the technology
itself. This is a hobby of mine which has me reading and posting to this NG
once in a while. I never hold back on my comments..that is why we have
forums like this. Lets just hope that the studios are reading this valuable
information.

Sure, some of the studios might think we are a minority of anal retentive
film lovers that pine over every aspect of a dvd's attributes or lack there
of. Maybe they think our opinion just doesn't matter. They are clearly wrong
if that is the case. Why did any of us get into to dvd to begin with? For
the quality and features that it offers. Studios like Universal must under
estimate customer feedback because they simply are not listening. For every
person like me that takes the trouble to write this stuff, there is 1,000's
of dvd buyers that just won't, for example, buy the new Scarface dvd cause
they are fed up. It's the customers that don't take the trouble to offer
feedback that Universal, for example, should think about seriously.

Universal should just admit that they screwed up on the original Scarface.
Then, they should offer a rebate towards the new re-issue. They should do
this with Animal House, Blues Brothers, I hate to admit, most of their early
releases. The 2nd re-issue of Animal House for example was not that bad,
however, compare it to the new one...see what I mean. What about that awfull
full screen version that they put out first? Really, do they think we don't
care about quality? If that's the case, why all of the sudden are they
marketing their products based on the assumption that we do care about
quality? What, did they suddenly realise this?

There is a fine line between making a film lover wait for one their favorite
(wish titles) to come out and rushing out a poor version to appease the mass
audience. A good example might be the film Neighbours. This one has yet to
see the light of day on dvd. Would it have been better to get a crappy
release back in, say, 1998, or wait for a premium version to come out in
2003. I say, better to wait since this title has long been available on VHS.
Paramount, for example, did the right thing making us wait for the Godfather
films. The often criticized Steven Spielberg is doing the right thing by
making us wait for correct versions of his highly anticipated releases.

We have to tell the studios that we don't mind waiting if it means getting a
premium version of a particular title. The technology is here, it has been
since 1997. The Philips Spirit Data Cine converter, touted as the best
technology for transfering celuloid to digital imaging, has been on the
market for some time now. Once again, the technology has been around for
quite some time now. For this reason we as consumers cannot accept inferior
quality like, for a great example, the original Scarface dvd.

I should point out that Warner Brothers or other studios are not entirely
innocent of releasing bad transfers on the market. The original One Flew
Over The Cuckoo's Nest dvd is perhaps one of the very worst transfers I have
ever seen thus far. This doens't include those awfull Front Row
Entertainment or Madacy grab bags we have come to know and totally avoid.

The idea of marketing a product by first offering an inferior, unacceptable
"version" of the product, then, years later offering up the premium version
that we should have gotten in the first place, is abhorant. Hypeing the
release of the new improved version so that we can mentally compare the old
with how good the new anticipated version will be, what is that? That is
insane! We are ultimately to blame for buying into this garbage marketing
tactic.

We made dvd the fastest growing new entertainment media in history. More
people owned a dvd player faster since dvd's inception than the number of
people that bought colour tv's back when they came out.
WE told the studios that the floodgates for heavy marketing were now open.
Lets tell them that those gates will close unless they live up to the
original promises made for dvd.


 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Alfred Prufrock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2003
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:11:01 GMT, "Dunf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
Don't Forget "Deer Hunter"
This is even worse than the first release of "Scarface"
This one DEFINATELY needs to be redone!!!!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tallulah Blanket
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2003
J. Alfred Prufrock wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:11:01 GMT, "Dunf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Don't Forget "Deer Hunter"
> This is even worse than the first release of "Scarface"
> This one DEFINATELY needs to be redone!!!!!


It has; but only in R2.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Writer R5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.

Mark
GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
http://www.genreonline.net
Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr. Byrd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
On 28 Sep 2003 03:31:02 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ospam (Writer R5) wrote:

>I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.
>
>Mark
>GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
>http://www.genreonline.net
>Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
>(E-Mail Removed)



what is your people's problems with Universal???? What have they done to you?
They don't OWE you anything like you seem to think. If they wanted, they wouldn't have to put out home video
at all and you could just pay $8 to see the flics at the theaters like in the old days. Quit your griping.
It gets really tiresome and I'm not surprised they don't listen to you. Geez Louise!

Doc Speedbyrd
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dunf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003

"Mr. Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28 Sep 2003 03:31:02 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ospam (Writer R5) wrote:
>
> >I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.
> >
> >Mark
> >GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
> >http://www.genreonline.net
> >Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
> >(E-Mail Removed)

>
>
> what is your people's problems with Universal???? What have they done to

you?
> They don't OWE you anything like you seem to think. If they wanted, they

wouldn't have to put out home video
> at all and you could just pay $8 to see the flics at the theaters like in

the old days. Quit your griping.
> It gets really tiresome and I'm not surprised they don't listen to you.

Geez Louise!
>
> Doc Speedbyrd


Hey Doc, if you have no problem with purchasing the same dvd over and over
again just to get a decent transfer, then I can see why you have no issue
with Universal.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr. Byrd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:58:19 GMT, "Dunf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Mr. Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 28 Sep 2003 03:31:02 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ospam (Writer R5) wrote:
>>
>> >I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.
>> >
>> >Mark
>> >GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
>> >http://www.genreonline.net
>> >Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
>> >(E-Mail Removed)

>>
>>
>> what is your people's problems with Universal???? What have they done to

>you?
>> They don't OWE you anything like you seem to think. If they wanted, they

>wouldn't have to put out home video
>> at all and you could just pay $8 to see the flics at the theaters like in

>the old days. Quit your griping.
>> It gets really tiresome and I'm not surprised they don't listen to you.

>Geez Louise!
>>
>> Doc Speedbyrd

>
>Hey Doc, if you have no problem with purchasing the same dvd over and over
>again just to get a decent transfer, then I can see why you have no issue
>with Universal.
>



I don't purchase the same one over and over. I wasn't unhappy with the original release.

Doc Speedbyrd
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scarface - widescreen version easily missed JWB DVD Video 28 10-09-2003 08:48 PM
Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever. PseudoApparition DVD Video 18 10-01-2003 01:15 PM
Scarface "AE" vs "Gift Set"? Richard Gordon DVD Video 7 09-30-2003 03:05 AM
New Releases: Scarface, Vicar Of Dibley: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 07-19-2003 06:03 AM
Re: Scarface 1983 re-release? David Wills DVD Video 2 07-07-2003 03:58 PM



Advertisments