Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Xbox DVD Region Question

Xbox DVD Region Question

Wade365

Is the new GameShark software for the Xbox the same as the PS2 software
currently available, in that it has a region selection feature for DVD
playback? The GameShark website doesn't mention anything about it but that's no
suprise, they don't exactly hype that feature for the PS2 either as I'm sure
it's sort of a grey area legally or somesuch nonsense... I'd love to be able to
play Halo AND watch my G flicks on the same machine... would save on that nasty
outlet overloadin'.

Thanks!

Nicholas Andrade

Wade365 wrote:
> Is the new GameShark software for the Xbox the same as the PS2 software
> currently available, in that it has a region selection feature for DVD
> playback? The GameShark website doesn't mention anything about it but that's no
> suprise, they don't exactly hype that feature for the PS2 either as I'm sure
> it's sort of a grey area legally or somesuch nonsense... I'd love to be able to
> play Halo AND watch my G flicks on the same machine... would save on that nasty
> outlet overloadin'.
>
> Thanks!

Although I don't know for sure, I am inclined to say no. The Pro Action
Replay, which generally also lets you do this for other consoles,
doesn't on the XBox. A better option for the XBox is to go the mod
route, they even have sodderless versions for about $50 these days. A
modded XBox is superior to using a GameShark to play DVD's because it
would also allow you to play the DVD's in progressive mode or turn
Macrovision off. Check out www.xbox-scene.com for more info.

Adios,
~Nick