Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > laser disk

laser disk

bryan knott

Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
laser?

Matthew L. Martin

bryan knott wrote:
> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
> laser?

Yes, and in more different issues than you could imagine.

Matthew

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

roy

"bryan knott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YKicb.5735$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
> laser?

yes......even remastered THX.... (no Dolby Digital however)

2 versions (there where more non-THX ones...but only these 2 editions are
worthwhile)
1. The Definitive Edition: (1993) Big black box with the 3 movies in CAV
format (9 discs), interviews, making off and a book. Watch out : The initial
release on this title contained a mastering error on side 3. There were
approximately 7 seconds of footage missing of TESB. Image Entertainment
corrected the error and offered replacement discs to buyers. Further
pressings of the set also contained the corrected side 3.
Also reports of laserrot (including 1 disc of my copy...luckily replaced by
retailer)

2 The so called 'faces' editions. 3 seperate CLV discs using the same
transfer as the big black box came out a few years later (1995) with a
second pressing run in 1997.
The first ones where made by Pioneer USA (with the usual drop-outs for which
Pioneer USA was 'famous'), the second run made by Kuraray Japan...as usual
perfect!!!

Have fun,
Roy

Joseph S. Powell, III

They were, but Lucas had a federal judge declare them "outlaw" editions
because they were inconsistant with his "original vision".
A court order for a recall of the discs (not the vhs tapes, as Lucas figured
they didn't have the quality of LD's and would probably wear out soon
enough) went out in 1999, stating the owners of the original Trilogy LD's
were required to turn them in to any major local video store or merchant
such as Suncoast, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and Movie Gallery - they
would receive $15.00 per disc.
Anyone not turning their SW LD's in is subject to an ongoing lawsuit filed
by Lucasarts against those LD owners who insist on keeping "high quality
copies of films inconsistant with the creator's original vision".
Lucasarts' team of lawyers have been busy since late '99, looking over sales
recorts of different companies which sold SW LD's, to obtain the names an
addresses of the purchasers, then comapring them to the recall list - if you
purchased SW LD's and you didn't turn them in, chances are you've already
been sent a subpoena (unless you can prove you no longer have them - this is
usually accomplished by a search of your home - with your consent, of
course - who wouln't consent if it meant avoiding a lawsuit?).
People are parting with their SW LD's like nobody's business - why do you
think so many are up for acution on ebay?
Lucasarts' team of lawyers also monitor ebay, ready to pounce on anyone
purchasing the original SW trilogy LD's, as the discs "compromise George
Lucas' artistic integrity."
So far over 3500 people have been sucessfully sued, some individuals paying
Lucasarts up to $1500.00!!!
Some people are finding a way around this by borrowing the LD's and copying
them to DVD, thanks to the increasing popularity of DVD recorders, but even
this tactic may not be enough - Lucasarts has filed petition with the
Department of Homeland Security to request that every home in America be
searched for "outlaw" Star Wars material on the grounds that, if it hurts
Lucasarts, it hurts America, and therefore could be construed to be a "form
of terrorism".

Latest word has it that Lucas is also looking to outlaw Spaceballs: The
Movie as a SW ripoff; however, he declined to comment on whether he would
also attempt to ban Spaceballs: the Lunchbox, or the Yogurt doll.

"bryan knott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YKicb.5735$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
> laser?

Scott Streeter

You almost had me going for a second

--
Scott Streeter
http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

MetzLan

"roy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> 1. The Definitive Edition: (1993) Big black box with the 3 movies in CAV
> format (9 discs), interviews, making off and a book. Watch out : The

initial
> release on this title contained a mastering error on side 3. There were
> approximately 7 seconds of footage missing of TESB. Image Entertainment
> corrected the error and offered replacement discs to buyers. Further
> pressings of the set also contained the corrected side 3.
> Also reports of laserrot (including 1 disc of my copy...luckily replaced

by
> retailer)

What is TESB?

Joshua Zyber

"MetzLan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sZocb.23687$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> What is TESB?

The
Empire
Strikes
Back

d a v e

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> They were, but Lucas had a federal judge declare them "outlaw" editions
> because they were inconsistant with his "original vision".
> A court order for a recall of the discs (not the vhs tapes, as Lucas

figured
> they didn't have the quality of LD's and would probably wear out soon
> enough) went out in 1999, stating the owners of the original Trilogy LD's
> were required to turn them in to any major local video store or merchant
> such as Suncoast, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and Movie Gallery - they
> would receive $15.00 per disc.
> Anyone not turning their SW LD's in is subject to an ongoing lawsuit filed
> by Lucasarts against those LD owners who insist on keeping "high quality
> copies of films inconsistant with the creator's original vision".
> Lucasarts' team of lawyers have been busy since late '99, looking over

sales
> recorts of different companies which sold SW LD's, to obtain the names an
> addresses of the purchasers, then comapring them to the recall list - if

you
> purchased SW LD's and you didn't turn them in, chances are you've already
> been sent a subpoena (unless you can prove you no longer have them - this

is
> usually accomplished by a search of your home - with your consent, of
> course - who wouln't consent if it meant avoiding a lawsuit?).
> People are parting with their SW LD's like nobody's business - why do you
> think so many are up for acution on ebay?
> Lucasarts' team of lawyers also monitor ebay, ready to pounce on anyone
> purchasing the original SW trilogy LD's, as the discs "compromise George
> Lucas' artistic integrity."
> So far over 3500 people have been sucessfully sued, some individuals

paying
> Lucasarts up to $1500.00!!!
> Some people are finding a way around this by borrowing the LD's and

copying
> them to DVD, thanks to the increasing popularity of DVD recorders, but

even
> this tactic may not be enough - Lucasarts has filed petition with the
> Department of Homeland Security to request that every home in America be
> searched for "outlaw" Star Wars material on the grounds that, if it hurts
> Lucasarts, it hurts America, and therefore could be construed to be a

"form
> of terrorism".
>
> Latest word has it that Lucas is also looking to outlaw Spaceballs: The
> Movie as a SW ripoff; however, he declined to comment on whether he would
> also attempt to ban Spaceballs: the Lunchbox, or the Yogurt doll.

i nominate this for post of the year !!!!!

Jason

Yes. Post of the Year!

"d a v e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> [...]

> copying
> > them to DVD, thanks to the increasing popularity of DVD recorders, but

> even
> > this tactic may not be enough - Lucasarts has filed petition with the
> > Department of Homeland Security to request that every home in America be
> > searched for "outlaw" Star Wars material on the grounds that, if it

hurts
> > Lucasarts, it hurts America, and therefore could be construed to be a

> "form
> > of terrorism".
> >
> > Latest word has it that Lucas is also looking to outlaw Spaceballs: The
> > Movie as a SW ripoff; however, he declined to comment on whether he

would
> > also attempt to ban Spaceballs: the Lunchbox, or the Yogurt doll.
> >

> i nominate this for post of the year !!!!!

jayembee

"Matthew L. Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> bryan knott wrote:
>> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars
>> trilogy (4,5,6) on laser?

> Yes, and in more different issues than you could imagine.

I can imagine quite a bit...

-- jayembee