Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is evenshorter with missing microchunks - help?

DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is evenshorter with missing microchunks - help?

Booser

gaffo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Jason wrote:
>
> > "gaffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > you

> > of

> >>thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
> >>seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
> >>
> >>Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

> > missing.
> >
> >>the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
> >>"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
> >>rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
> >>
> >>the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
> >>
> >>ideas?
> >>

> > If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files.

> After I rip the DVD onto my harddrive I end up with 4 VOB
> files......each 1,048,000 in size.
>

> then I have Dr Divx collect them and encode it to Divx5.02.
>

> You should have
> > movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3).

> they say they are "vob" files in my exporer window. (under filetype column)

Yes, because you are not ripping the movie, you are ripping the files.
Slight difference. If you rip the movie to a "normal" avi, you get a
avi file.

> Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
> > (because of the filesize limit.)

> 2.1 gigs? or 1.2 gigs........I forgot........yes I use FAT32 so the
> limit remains............I think.

I think it is a 4 gig limit. Most movies are smaller then that.
Since you are ripping the VOPs instead of the movies, this isn't a
problem.

> I do have a divx of Blackhawk down which reads as one file in exporer
> and is 2.2 gigs!!!!!.....wierd. I later split it to 1 gig and burn to
> two 99-minutes CDr's.
>
> I've encoded maybe 4 movies now without trouble. It so much easier than
> using DeCSS and Flack and all that other crap from 2-3 yrs ago. That was
> too much trouble IMO. So stopped after 3 or so movies (those CDr's all
> developed pinholes in them too btw.......so CDr's data ain't that durable)

If you have linux, try mplayerhq.hu, best encoder on the market.
Fastest one I can find. Else, Dr. Divx works but is a little on the
expensive side.

> What movie are you trying to encode?
>

> Coen Brother's first movie "Blood Simple"...........should fit fine on
> 99-minute CDr with 1600 VBR........90-percent DVD quality IMO .
>

> > Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
> > bug.

> Well I know Dr Divx is buggy. Its avi segmenter is a no go. So i have to
> encode a 2-gig and then use Easy Video Splitter to get 2 - 1 gig CDr's
> worth of avi files.
>
> no other bug has hit me, though I've seen posts from others here who
> have trouble with other Dr Divx features (stuff which works on my
> machine -weird).
>

> Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
> > different piece of software.

> well........last options are the original DeCss and Vstrip (of the ones
> I have now.............I assume there are at least 20 apss on the net I
> could try........but at some point i'll jsut say f^&k it and give up.
>

> I encode my movies directly from the DVD
>

> how do you do that??????????????

Linux. Mencoder with MP3Lame

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3:br=128 -ovc
frameno -o frameno.avi > audiopass.log

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1600:vpass=1 -o /dev/null > vpass1.log

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1600:vpass=1 -o "Killer Klowns from Outer
Space.avi" > vpass2.log

If you have widescreen, make sure you do mplayer -dvd 1 -vop
dropdetect
then add -vop crop=x1:y12:y2

Also, a windows program called easyDivx or something like that will do
it. I got it off some Indian site. It will rip directly from the
DVD, but it has a high penaltly because of that.