Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why do only some DVDs have the center rear surround flag?

Why do only some DVDs have the center rear surround flag?

Michael S.

All of my DTS-ES DVDs have the rear center surround flag, is detected by my
prepro and a resulting channel for that; while two of my DD-EX DVDs have the
rear center surround flag that is detected by my prepro, with the result
that the rear center surround channel does not show up at all in the rest of
my "EX" DVDs. WHY do so few DD-EX DVD's have the flag that activates the
rear center surround channel that is present or do they all have the flag
and my prepro is not detecting it?

Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
which claims to still be 5.1??

TIA for any info that might clear this up for me.

Michael S.

rander3127@rrogers.com

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:52:23 -0500, "Michael S."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>All of my DTS-ES DVDs have the rear center surround flag, is detected by my
>prepro and a resulting channel for that; while two of my DD-EX DVDs have the
>rear center surround flag that is detected by my prepro, with the result
>that the rear center surround channel does not show up at all in the rest of
>my "EX" DVDs. WHY do so few DD-EX DVD's have the flag that activates the
>rear center surround channel that is present or do they all have the flag
>and my prepro is not detecting it?
>
>Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
>which claims to still be 5.1??
>
>TIA for any info that might clear this up for me.
>
>Michael S.

Doesn't make much difference. Since the centre surround channel is
derived from the left and right discrete surrounds, it will happen
with any source that is 5.1., whether or not flags are in the
soundtrack.
-Rich

Darrel Christenson

>>Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
>>which claims to still be 5.1??

> Doesn't make much difference. Since the centre surround channel is
> derived from the left and right discrete surrounds, it will happen
> with any source that is 5.1., whether or not flags are in the
> soundtrack.

Correct, they're both matrixed - BUT DTS has a true discrete 6.1
mix, curiously enough known as "DTS-ES Discrete 6.1", where as
Dobly Digital only has matrixed version.

As for the flag, it's not a feature of the mix but of whomever
put the mix together - imagine a checkbox on a screen that someone
forgot or couldn't be bother to tick.

Darrel

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >All of my DTS-ES DVDs have the rear center surround flag, is detected by my
: >prepro and a resulting channel for that; while two of my DD-EX DVDs have the
: >rear center surround flag that is detected by my prepro, with the result
: >that the rear center surround channel does not show up at all in the rest of
: >my "EX" DVDs. WHY do so few DD-EX DVD's have the flag that activates the
: >rear center surround channel that is present or do they all have the flag
: >and my prepro is not detecting it?
: >
: >Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
: >which claims to still be 5.1??
: >
: >TIA for any info that might clear this up for me.
: >
: >Michael S.
: >
:
: Doesn't make much difference. Since the centre surround channel is
: derived from the left and right discrete surrounds, it will happen
: with any source that is 5.1., whether or not flags are in the
: soundtrack.
: -Rich

DTS-ES Discrete is exactly that. It is not "derived"

Zimmy

To answer your first question... I think some decoders/receivers had trouble
with early DDEX tracks resulting in weird errors when the flag was "on".
Dolby choose to just turn off the flag since the EX decoders will still
decode properly in manual mode.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...