Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Nicholas Nickleby WS & Pana. A120

Nicholas Nickleby WS & Pana. A120

Mark B.

I rented Nicholas Nickleby, it's a 2-sided disc with WS on one side & P&S on
the other. WS side wouldn't play no matter what, but oddly enough P&S side
did. Took it back, exchanged it for a different disc, same thing. This is
the first time I've had a problem with the Panasonic A120 that couldn't be
attributed to a dirty or scratched disc. Has anyone had a similar problem
with this movie?

Mark

Pug Fugley

Man, it's amazing that a player that old still works! It's time for an
upgrade, man. You're about 5 generations behind, which is why you'll have
trouble with some discs.

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I rented Nicholas Nickleby, it's a 2-sided disc with WS on one side & P&S

on
> the other. WS side wouldn't play no matter what, but oddly enough P&S

side
> did. Took it back, exchanged it for a different disc, same thing. This

is
> the first time I've had a problem with the Panasonic A120 that couldn't be
> attributed to a dirty or scratched disc. Has anyone had a similar problem
> with this movie?
>
> Mark

Mark B.

"Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KwNbb.3922$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Man, it's amazing that a player that old still works! It's time for an
> upgrade, man. You're about 5 generations behind, which is why you'll have
> trouble with some discs.

Well, like I said it's the first time I've ever had trouble. I hate
upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. To me, it's a waste of money to
upgrade something that works. But maybe it's time.

Mark

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I rented Nicholas Nickleby, it's a 2-sided disc with WS on one side & P&S on
> the other. WS side wouldn't play no matter what, but oddly enough P&S side
> did. Took it back, exchanged it for a different disc, same thing. This is
> the first time I've had a problem with the Panasonic A120 that couldn't be
> attributed to a dirty or scratched disc. Has anyone had a similar problem
> with this movie?

I had the exact same problem with my Panasonic A101. I couldn't figure
out why the P&S side played yet the widescreen side didn't. I do know
the laser was going bad in it and that was part of the problem. The
laser in yours is likely going bad as well considering your player is
nearly as old as mine. I'm afraid you're gonna need to get a new player
now. I purchased a Panasonic S35 from Best Buy for $100 and love it. No
problems at all with it.

--
BL

LASERandDVDfan

>I had the exact same problem with my Panasonic A101. I couldn't figure
>out why the P&S side played yet the widescreen side didn't. I do know
>the laser was going bad in it and that was part of the problem. The
>laser in yours is likely going bad as well considering your player is
>nearly as old as mine. I'm afraid you're gonna need to get a new player
>now. I purchased a Panasonic S35 from Best Buy for $100 and love it. No
>problems at all with it.

I would say that it is more a firmware issue than a pickup issue, although your
DVD-A101 (or is it actually an A-110, if you typoed the model no.) may be prone
to develop problems with the pickup since first and second gen Panasonics had
real problems with that.

The DVD-A120 is a third gen with improved reliability over its previous models.
I would first try to see if the disc is defective before assuming it as a
player problem. - Reinhart