Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Possible to restict connection speed?

Possible to restict connection speed?

HotRod

I have an office with 10 PC's connected to a linksys Wireless G Router. Two
of these computers are servers and are hard wired into the router. Is it
possible for me so set individual connection speeds for different computers?
I'd like to dial back a few users that are downloading stuff and give more
access to the server for people accessing it offsite?

David H. Lipman

From: "HotRod" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I have an office with 10 PC's connected to a linksys Wireless G Router. Two
| of these computers are servers and are hard wired into the router. Is it
| possible for me so set individual connection speeds for different computers?
| I'd like to dial back a few users that are downloading stuff and give more
| access to the server for people accessing it offsite?

I don't think you can without extra equipment that specifically limits user bandwidth.

I sincerely hope that you have fully secured that wireless network or your company data and
security is greatly "at risk".

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

HotRod

I didn't say anything about security this is a speed issue.

From: "HotRod" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I didn't say anything about security this is a speed issue.

I got that. There are so many idiots running open WAPs that I just had to make that
statement. I assume then you have taken the proper securing techniques.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Simas Kvilius

check documentation of your router I dont think it supports tarffic shaping,
I sugest you to buy any cisco wireless router if intrested to provide
reliable services.

> From: "HotRod" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | I have an office with 10 PC's connected to a linksys Wireless G Router.
> Two
> | of these computers are servers and are hard wired into the router. Is it
> | possible for me so set individual connection speeds for different
> computers?
> | I'd like to dial back a few users that are downloading stuff and give
> more
> | access to the server for people accessing it offsite?
> |

> I don't think you can without extra equipment that specifically limits
> user bandwidth.
>
> I sincerely hope that you have fully secured that wireless network or your
> company data and
> security is greatly "at risk".
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

=?Utf-8?B?amFtZXM=?=

yes there is a way to restrict connection speed here is a lisst of steps to
help you with that
-open your network connections window(for me i go to control pannel through
start to find it)
-right click on your wireless network connection and select properties
-click configure then click the advanced tab
- scroll down to "rate" and select it now you should be able to set your
connection rate by using the values on the right.

"HotRod" wrote:

> I have an office with 10 PC's connected to a linksys Wireless G Router. Two
> of these computers are servers and are hard wired into the router. Is it
> possible for me so set individual connection speeds for different computers?
> I'd like to dial back a few users that are downloading stuff and give more
> access to the server for people accessing it offsite?

HotRod

Access to our site is only through VPN and all of our networks have 128 bit
WAP encryption.