Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD video recorders announced

HD video recorders announced

Grand Inquisitor

From IMDB today:

A Silicon Valley-based company has developed a digital video recorder,
named the Roku, aimed at owners of high definition TV sets. As reported
by the Associated Press, the company was founded by Anthony Wood, who
previously started up the software firm that developed the popular
Dreamweaver program for designing websites and another firm that
introduced ReplayTV, the first digital video recorder for conventional
TV sets. The $499 Roku, being unveiled today (Monday) not only can
record and play HDTV programs with all the familiar VCR functions but
can also be hooked up to a PC, and an add-on memory card will allow it
to display a slide show of paintings, nature and aquarium images. Wood,
who sold his previous startups before the downturn in the market for
technology stocks, told AP: "I'm not doing it for the money, but I
really enjoy building things. ... There's so much opportunity in the
shift to digital media, and I don't think the products out there are
being done well."

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Mark Spatny

Grand Inquisitor,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> The $499 Roku, being unveiled today (Monday) not only can
> record and play HDTV programs with all the familiar VCR functions

Hell, I'd buy that tomorrow if they had it at Best Buy

luminos

The article I read indicates it is NOT an HD TV recorder as we know it..it
uses memory sticks and cards only, and mostly is for playing back still
pictures, etc. at high resolution.

news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...