Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TMPGEnc clip video file

TMPGEnc clip video file

Danny Deger

I am using TMPGEnc to encode an AVI file. But I need to clip the last 20
minutes of the file. Can TMPGEnc do this? If not, what is the
recommendation.

Danny Deger

JoJo

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:39:47 -0500, Danny Deger wrote:

> I am using TMPGEnc to encode an AVI file. But I need to clip the last 20
> minutes of the file. Can TMPGEnc do this? If not, what is the
> recommendation.

You can set the source range in TMPGenc.
Or later you can merge&cut with the mpeg tools in TMPGenc.

--
Johan
http://jojo.havank.com of http://jojo.nb.nu

Danny Deger

"JoJo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:16wfr521k2uyw$.16v48npdq1psb$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:39:47 -0500, Danny Deger wrote:
>
> > I am using TMPGEnc to encode an AVI file. But I need to clip the last

20
> > minutes of the file. Can TMPGEnc do this? If not, what is the
> > recommendation.

> You can set the source range in TMPGenc.
> Or later you can merge&cut with the mpeg tools in TMPGenc.
>
> --
> Johan
> http://jojo.havank.com of http://jojo.nb.nu
> Over Videobewerking en DVD authoring.
> Reactie op usenetpostjes svp in de groep.

I have looked and look on how to set the source range. Can you give me a
hint?

Danny Deger

Samuel Paik

"Danny Deger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > You can set the source range in TMPGenc.
> > Or later you can merge&cut with the mpeg tools in TMPGenc.

> I have looked and look on how to set the source range. Can you give me a
> hint?

While using the wizard, on page 3 ("filter setting"), there's a check
box next to "Source range". Click on it and you'll get the source
range dialog. Or at pretty much any step, there is a Settings button,
which brings up an MPEG Settings dialog. Click on the Advanced
tab, and then check the "Source range" check box and then
double click on the "Source range" label to get the Source range dialog.

Sam

Dr. Mercury

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:24:22 -0500, "Danny Deger"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have looked and look on how to set the source range. Can you give me a
>hint?

Open "Setting", Advanced tab, double-click on "Source Range". This
will allow you to mark off a 'start' and 'end' time for tests.

Other Source Range tips:

1. There's a very cool "Cut Editing" feature that allows you to snip
out parts of the render, like commercials from a vidcap.

2. For a normal full-movie render, open Source Range and click on the
"Default" button. This slips a "-1" in the 'End frame' box, which
will keep the audio from cutting off a bit too soon at the end of the
movie. Be sure to have Source Range checked on the Advanced panel or
it won't work.

3. There are two important numbers at the top, the resolution and the
time. Most movies are 720-wide, with a few 704-wide. When you render
a regular 4:3 full-screen movie, TMPGEnc's templates default to the
"704" one, which will throw the aspect ratio off a tiny bit. Every
time you load a fresh D2V file (for a 4:3 movie), then load a fresh
template, that box has to be changed to the regular one, without the
704.

The time is important if you're using the NIMF to determine the size
of the MPEG before rendering. Here's the one for SVCD:

www.svcd.cc/formula.htm

and for rendering one regular movie to DVD:

www.svcd.cc/2211/dvdr/formula2.htm

Load the D2V, the template, open Source Range, click on "Default", hit
the "Move to end frame" button and the time of the movie will display
at the top. That's the figure you use with the NIMF.

Have fun with the project,
Doc

--

For all of your DVD, SVCD and DivX needs: www.svcd.cc