Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Stand dvd problem

The Stand dvd problem

Wade129

I bought Stephen King's "The Stand" on DVD a few months ago. I just now got
around to watching it. It's two dvds. The first two parts are on the first
dvd and the second two parts are on the second dvd. Well, on both dvd's it
will only play the first parts. It won't play the second parts on either dvd.
Anyone know what the problem could be. Also on the box it says there scene
selections but I can't find it anywhere. I have an Apex dvd player and have
never had a problem with playing any other dvd's and I have played alot. Any
help appreciated.

Thanks!

Scot Gardner

"Wade129" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<<I bought Stephen King's "The Stand" on DVD a few months ago. I just
now got around to watching it. It's two dvds. The first two parts are
on the first dvd and the second two parts are on the second dvd. Well,
on both dvd's it will only play the first parts. It won't play the
second parts on either dvd. Anyone know what the problem could be. Also
on the box it says there scene selections but I can't find it anywhere.
I have an Apex dvd player and have never had a problem with playing any
other dvd's and I have played alot. Any help appreciated. Thanks!>>

It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what I am
assuming are dual-layer disks.

Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?

Wade129

I don't know if it's a dual layer disc. how can you tell? but i'm sure with
all the dvds I've played there had to be a couple other dual layered ones.
I've watched ALOT of movies and never had a problem with any.

>It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what I am
>assuming are dual-layer disks.
>
>Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?

Scot Gardner

"Wade129" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know if it's a dual layer disc. how can you tell? but i'm
> sure with all the dvds I've played there had to be a couple other
> dual layered ones. I've watched ALOT of movies and never had
> a problem with any.

> > It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what
> > I am assuming are dual-layer disks.

> > Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?

It seems that there are more dual-layer DVDs than there are single-layer
disks, so the chances are that you have encountered many of them.

According to the Internet Movie Data Base, _The Stand_ is a DS-RSDL
(Double Side, Reverse Spiral Dual Layer disk). If all of your other DVDs
play well, it is possible that the Apex is not picking up on the layer
change code. Try the disks on another player.

If you are REALLY interested in disk layers, you will need to get a mid
to upper-level Sony player. The layer indicator is essential -- at least
for me. The layer indicator not only shows the number of layers on a
disk and which layer is being played, it also shows which area of the
disk surface is being read by the laser.

You have probably noticed that people are always asking where the layer
change occurs on this disk or that disk. There are even websites which
have a list of layer change times. Using a Sony DVD player with the
layer indicator feature will allow you to find the layer change on any
disk as well as the location of all other data.

As far as I know, the layer indicator is still a Sony exclusive feature.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0108941/dvd

DBR

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030921153318.913$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Wade129" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I don't know if it's a dual layer disc. how can you tell? but i'm
> > sure with all the dvds I've played there had to be a couple other
> > dual layered ones. I've watched ALOT of movies and never had
> > a problem with any.

> > > It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what
> > > I am assuming are dual-layer disks.

> > > Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?

> It seems that there are more dual-layer DVDs than there are single-layer
> disks, so the chances are that you have encountered many of them.
>
> According to the Internet Movie Data Base, _The Stand_ is a DS-RSDL
> (Double Side, Reverse Spiral Dual Layer disk). If all of your other DVDs
> play well, it is possible that the Apex is not picking up on the layer
> change code. Try the disks on another player.
>
> If you are REALLY interested in disk layers, you will need to get a mid
> to upper-level Sony player. The layer indicator is essential -- at least
> for me. The layer indicator not only shows the number of layers on a
> disk and which layer is being played, it also shows which area of the
> disk surface is being read by the laser.
>
> You have probably noticed that people are always asking where the layer
> change occurs on this disk or that disk. There are even websites which
> have a list of layer change times. Using a Sony DVD player with the
> layer indicator feature will allow you to find the layer change on any
> disk as well as the location of all other data.
>
> As far as I know, the layer indicator is still a Sony exclusive feature.

Why do you--and others, as you indicate--care where the layer transfer is?
I am just curious.

--
"To infinity and beyond!"

Scot Gardner

"DBR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Ocpbb.6686$I36.4242@pd7tw3no...
<<Why do you--and others, as you indicate--care where the layer transfer
is? I am just curious.>>

For some reason, Sony put the layer indicator and laser pickup tracker
in their DVD players. Without this feature, it would be impossible to
determine which layer is being played and you would need to take the
player apart to see what part of the disk is being tracked by the laser.

The layer/tracking indicator is just a cool feature that only Sony has.

Higher end Sony (and a few other DVD players) also have a bit rate
meter. This is another cool, yet non-essential feature.

Doc Speedbyrd

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:30:49 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"DBR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Ocpbb.6686$I36.4242@pd7tw3no...
><<Why do you--and others, as you indicate--care where the layer transfer
>is? I am just curious.>>
>
>For some reason, Sony put the layer indicator and laser pickup tracker
>in their DVD players. Without this feature, it would be impossible to
>determine which layer is being played and you would need to take the
>player apart to see what part of the disk is being tracked by the laser.
>
>The layer/tracking indicator is just a cool feature that only Sony has.
>
>Higher end Sony (and a few other DVD players) also have a bit rate
>meter. This is another cool, yet non-essential feature.

My JVC All Region player has the layer tracking AND the other features you mentioned. It is not a Sony
exclusive

Doc Speedbyrd

Scot Gardner

"Doc Speedbyrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My JVC All Region player has the layer tracking AND the
> other features you mentioned. It is not a Sony exclusive
>
> Doc Speedbyrd

In a previous post, I said, "As far as I know, the layer indicator is
still a Sony exclusive feature."

You are the only person that I have seen mention the layer/tracking
indicator as being available on a non-Sony player.