Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Poorly matted DVDs

Poorly matted DVDs

John Larrabee

I thought I had seen some overly matted discs (REAR WINDOW, PSYCHO), but
nothing beats THE HOSPITAL, which I picked up the other day. A little bit past
nine minutes into the film is a brief scene with George C. Scott and (I think)
Stephen Elliott in which their heads are cut off. Not just at the hairline,
but a total tight-matte decapitation at the neck. Although later scenes are
not as severe, there's a definite "headroom problem" thoughout the disc. By
contrast, the LD of the film frames things as they should be.

How the hell does this happen? Doesn't anybody take a look at the disc before
it's released? Rather ironic for a film where one of the dominant themes is
incompetence.

John Larrabee
Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
http://laurelandhardycentral.com

(To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

"Exit, pursued by a bear"