Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

LASERandDVDfan

One of the worst DVD commentary tracks must be for the Gus Van Saint remake of
"Psycho."

Don't know which is worse, the movie or the self-praising commentary that tries
to praise the remake as being better than the original (read: superior)
version. - Reinhart

Bobcancel

Reinhart wrote:

<< One of the worst DVD commentary tracks must be for the Gus Van Saint remake
of
"Psycho."

Don't know which is worse, the movie or the self-praising commentary that tries
to praise the remake as being better than the original (read: superior)
version. - >>

No, the remake was not as good as the original film. But, it wasn't as bad as
all that. I'm glad the picture exists. As an experiment in the art of film I
thought it was a rousing success, proving that copying a film shot for shot
(even a classic one) doesn't insure that the quality or status of the first one
can easily be transfered to the second one. Art is more illusive than that.
The second "Psycho" is at the very least a fascinating gaze into "process"
itself, that alone gives the film merit. As for the commentary, no argument
there. Every one on that track was convinced that they were involved in a
historic endeavor. They were wrong. Even as a failure, it was surely a
historic experiment, but not a historic endeavor. Anyone care to convince me
I'm wrong (using complete sentences and thoughtful commentary)?
Ken
Dallas

LASERandDVDfan

>As an experiment in the art of film I
>thought it was a rousing success, proving that copying a film shot for shot
>(even a classic one) doesn't insure that the quality or status of the first
>one
>can easily be transfered to the second one.

But still, if you are going to remake a film, do it as your own interpretation
of the script instead of ripping someone else's vision off by doing a
shot-by-shot remake with "improvements." - Reinhart