Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Backing up 2 dvds to one DVD+R?

Backing up 2 dvds to one DVD+R?

Jari Ivanoff

Hi!
Just wondering, what software is suitable to back up 2 DVD's to one DVD+R?
I haev the software to rip and decrypt and burn, but I am curious about
"re-compressing" and re-authoring the movies but be able to keep all the
sound and subtitles and stuff.And then it would be nice to put som cool
menus on the new DVD...

/Jari
To reply by e-mail remove the ( and ) in the address.

Anonymous Joe

"Jari Ivanoff" <jari.ivanoff(@)telia.com> wrote in message
news:wQ%ab.29388$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
> Just wondering, what software is suitable to back up 2 DVD's to one DVD+R?
> I haev the software to rip and decrypt and burn, but I am curious about
> "re-compressing" and re-authoring the movies but be able to keep all the
> sound and subtitles and stuff.And then it would be nice to put som cool
> menus on the new DVD...
>
> /Jari
> To reply by e-mail remove the ( and ) in the address.

If your trying to copy a dual DVD movie (ie, two 9.4GB DVDs) to one DVD+R
(ie one 4.7GB DVD+R) without loosing any extras and stuff it is god damn
near impossible.

If you don't want to loose any quality, then you will be forced to use 4
DVD+R, as each pressed DVD uses 9.4GB, twice the DVD+R capacity, so each
pressed disc goes to 2 DVD+R discs, and you have two pressed DVDs, so use 4
DVD+R.

Sounds dumb, doesn't it. Well, it's what really happens.

Naturally, you will be forced to "re-author" this if you intend upon keeping
it down to 1 or 2 discs.

There are only two types of dual-disc pressed movies, those with alot of
extras, and those with alot of video space/runtime. If, for example, you
have about a 160minute movie, you can fit that onto 1 DVD+R, if you only use
1 audio stream, and cut out all the menus/extras. Odds are the video is of
high enough quality that it can be re-encoded (with DVDShrink or DVD2ONE or
DVDXCOPY or anything like that).

Jari Ivanoff

No, what I want to do is to take 2 DVD's, strip them from unnecessary stuff
like extras, some subtitles and languages, perhaps compress them a little
( I have found DVDShrink now that does all of that ) and put them on one
DVD-R. And of course make some nice menus and stuff too.. I have 2 VIDEO_TS
directories now with one movie each, complete with VOB, IFO and BUP files
( 2.1 GB each ), what software do I need to "author" them onto one DVD
(4.7GB)?
/Jari

"Anonymous Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:X24bb.300053$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> "Jari Ivanoff" <jari.ivanoff(@)telia.com> wrote in message
> news:wQ%ab.29388$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> > Just wondering, what software is suitable to back up 2 DVD's to one

DVD+R?
> > I haev the software to rip and decrypt and burn, but I am curious about
> > "re-compressing" and re-authoring the movies but be able to keep all the
> > sound and subtitles and stuff.And then it would be nice to put som cool
> > menus on the new DVD...
> >
> > /Jari
> > To reply by e-mail remove the ( and ) in the address.

> If your trying to copy a dual DVD movie (ie, two 9.4GB DVDs) to one DVD+R
> (ie one 4.7GB DVD+R) without loosing any extras and stuff it is god damn
> near impossible.
>
> If you don't want to loose any quality, then you will be forced to use 4
> DVD+R, as each pressed DVD uses 9.4GB, twice the DVD+R capacity, so each
> pressed disc goes to 2 DVD+R discs, and you have two pressed DVDs, so use

4
> DVD+R.
>
> Sounds dumb, doesn't it. Well, it's what really happens.
>
> Naturally, you will be forced to "re-author" this if you intend upon

keeping
> it down to 1 or 2 discs.
>
> There are only two types of dual-disc pressed movies, those with alot of
> extras, and those with alot of video space/runtime. If, for example, you
> have about a 160minute movie, you can fit that onto 1 DVD+R, if you only

use
> 1 audio stream, and cut out all the menus/extras. Odds are the video is

of
> high enough quality that it can be re-encoded (with DVDShrink or DVD2ONE

or
> DVDXCOPY or anything like that).

Doc Speedbyrd

You're such a liar

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:08:44 GMT, "Jari Ivanoff" <jari.ivanoff(@)telia.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>Just wondering, what software is suitable to back up 2 DVD's to one DVD+R?
>I haev the software to rip and decrypt and burn, but I am curious about
>"re-compressing" and re-authoring the movies but be able to keep all the
>sound and subtitles and stuff.And then it would be nice to put som cool
>menus on the new DVD...
>
>/Jari
>To reply by e-mail remove the ( and ) in the address.

Just leave the ****ing discs alone and watch them as they are. There's not need to back them up.
You thieves never fool anyone

Doc Speedbyrd