Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

 
 
Yertle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:29:12 -0400 (EDT),
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (The Magically Delicious Mr. H***)
wrote:

>I know this subject has probably been breached before, but I've just had
>the opportunity to listen to director John Howard Davies' commentary on
>the first four episodes of "Fawlty Towers" and I don't think I've ever
>experienced something so painful, in terms of a commentary track,


The question I have is whether there's a single
non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.

The fact that commentaries are now considered a valuable
extra would be funny if they weren't holding up releases
(like the Simpsons season DVDs) to record this drivel.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dick Sidbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
Yertle wrote:
>
> The question I have is whether there's a single
> non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
> all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
> actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
> usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.
>

Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
"criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.

dick

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rupert Pupkin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
From: Dick Sidbury (E-Mail Removed)

>Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
>"criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
>Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
>Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.
>
>dick
>


The best commentary Zemeckis was involved with was Used Cars. I wish all
commentaries were more like Used Cars.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
Dick Sidbury wrote:

>> The question I have is whether there's a single
>> non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
>> all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
>> actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
>> usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.
>>

> Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
> "criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
> Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
> Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.


And at this point, one *has* to stick up for the "Willy Wonka"
commentary, one of the extremely few to to give "Cast watching the movie
with popcorn" commentaries a GOOD name.

Derek Janssen (the "Fellowship of the Ring" cast commentary being the other)
(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brandon Fisher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkgo1h$4ss$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And at this point, one *has* to stick up for the "Willy Wonka"
> commentary, one of the extremely few to to give "Cast watching the movie
> with popcorn" commentaries a GOOD name.


I liked the cast commentary on "The Goonies", too.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003

"Yertle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> The question I have is whether there's a single
> non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
> all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
> actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
> usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.


Not all Criterion commentaries are golden. While the Brazil
set has a wonderful commentary by Terry Gilliam on the
first disc. The third disc contains a very dry, boring, and
gap-filled commentary by a film scholar on this alternate
cut of the film.

Some commentaries I've really enjoyed:

The drunken commentary for Cannibal! The Musical is
hilarious and actually quite informative.

Practically any commentary with Bruce Campbell in it,
with the commentary for Running Time getting a special
nod for being a lesson on how to do a film on a shoestring
budget.

Pixar film commentaries, while occasionally devolving into
the commentators giving shout outs to cast and crew that
"did such a great job," are informative and fun. Surprisingly
or perhaps not so much if you know Pixar, for such
technologically advanced films, the commentaries tend
to focus on the story and it's evolution.

Finally, Terry Gilliam commentaries are great because of
how open his comments are. He doesn't hold anything
back and try to be self-praising or diplomatic. If he had
a problem making the film, he'll tell you what it was, with
little to no glossing over the facts or being nice to the actors.

-Jay


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Knoblock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003

"Jay G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>


> a problem making the film, he'll tell you what it was, with
> little to no glossing over the facts or being nice to the actors.


That's my ideal commentary.

Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
Jay G wrote:
>
>>The question I have is whether there's a single
>>non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
>>all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
>>actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
>>usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.

>
>
> Not all Criterion commentaries are golden. While the Brazil
> set has a wonderful commentary by Terry Gilliam on the
> first disc. The third disc contains a very dry, boring, and
> gap-filled commentary by a film scholar on this alternate
> cut of the film.


Much like the Cocteau "Beauty & the Beast" commentary--

While "The Third Man", in place of a commentary, has Graham Greene
reading his short story, and occasionally getting ahead of the action on
screen, or trailing annoyingly behind it.

> Some commentaries I've really enjoyed:
>
> Finally, Terry Gilliam commentaries are great because of
> how open his comments are. He doesn't hold anything
> back and try to be self-praising or diplomatic. If he had
> a problem making the film, he'll tell you what it was, with
> little to no glossing over the facts or being nice to the actors.


And that includes "Time Bandits", "Life of Brian" and "Holy Grail"--
Which also include contributions by John Cleese and Terry Jones, both of
whom will say anything movie-related, while Michael Palin tends to be a
little more self-spoofing.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
rwright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2003
I must agree with this 100%. it has almost gotten to the point where I
can't watch WILL WONKA without listening to the commentary. They are having
so much FUN! It brings a huge smile to my face every time I hear it!!


"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkgo1h$4ss$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dick Sidbury wrote:
>
> >> The question I have is whether there's a single
> >> non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
> >> all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
> >> actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
> >> usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.
> >>

> > Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
> > "criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
> > Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
> > Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.

>
> And at this point, one *has* to stick up for the "Willy Wonka"
> commentary, one of the extremely few to to give "Cast watching the movie
> with popcorn" commentaries a GOOD name.
>
> Derek Janssen (the "Fellowship of the Ring" cast commentary being the

other)
> (E-Mail Removed)
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? Rupert Pupkin DVD Video 23 12-01-2003 02:13 PM
Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? Repo Man DVD Video 4 10-09-2003 08:21 PM
Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? Mr. Fishface DVD Video 0 09-20-2003 05:42 PM
Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? Grand Inquisitor DVD Video 1 09-20-2003 03:49 AM
Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? DVD Video 0 09-20-2003 03:01 AM



Advertisments