Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Trouble losing old DHCP IP address

Trouble losing old DHCP IP address

libertybasic

I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using it
on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided to go
to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay, but
now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and subnet
mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release. I've
tried rebooting. Nothing works.

I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection icon
and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my other
computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

Any ideas?

-Carl

Malke

libertybasic wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using it
> on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided to
> go
> to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay,
> but now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and
> subnet
> mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
> connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release. I've
> tried rebooting. Nothing works.
>
> I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection
> icon and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my other
> computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

In addition to the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew, try
ipconfig /flushdns

Then reboot.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

libertybasic

Malke wrote:
> libertybasic wrote:
>
> > I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using it
> > on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided to
> > go
> > to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay,
> > but now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and
> > subnet
> > mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
> > connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release. I've
> > tried rebooting. Nothing works.
> >
> > I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection
> > icon and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my other
> > computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

> In addition to the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew, try
> ipconfig /flushdns
>
> Then reboot.

Thanks, but it didn't work. The old IP address and subnet are still
there.

-Carl

Malke

libertybasic wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>> libertybasic wrote:
>>
>> > I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using
>> > it
>> > on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided
>> > to go
>> > to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay,
>> > but now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and
>> > subnet
>> > mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
>> > connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release.
>> > I've
>> > tried rebooting. Nothing works.
>> >
>> > I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection
>> > icon and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my
>> > other computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

>> In addition to the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew, try
>> ipconfig /flushdns
>>
>> Then reboot.

> Thanks, but it didn't work. The old IP address and subnet are still
> there.
>
> -Carl

Maybe you can just enter your ISP's nameservers manually then and assign
a static IP. Get the settings from doing an ipconfig on one of the
other machines. Reboot. Once you've connected successfully, you
probably can go back to automatic assignment of IP/DNS.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

libertybasic

Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work either.

-Carl

Malke

libertybasic wrote:

> Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work either.
>
> -Carl

Then I don't know. Hopefully someone else will come along with the
answer.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Simas Kvilius

assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp again.

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> libertybasic wrote:
>
>> Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work either.
>>
>> -Carl

> Then I don't know. Hopefully someone else will come along with the
> answer.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Simas Kvilius wrote:

> assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp again.

I suggested that he do that but he says it didn't work. Unless he was
assigning the IP & DNS to the wrong connection... I don't know what
else is left. If the OP doesn't get any more responses here, he should
probably have a professional take a look. Someone on-site may be able
to fix it in 5 minutes.

Malke
--

Malke wrote:
> Simas Kvilius wrote:
> > assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp again.

> I suggested that he do that but he says it didn't work. Unless he was
> assigning the IP & DNS to the wrong connection... I don't know what
> else is left. If the OP doesn't get any more responses here, he should
> probably have a professional take a look. Someone on-site may be able
> to fix it in 5 minutes.

Thanks guys. I did assign the IP address and subnet manually according
to the valid range my router would accept (I set the range myself).
When I do that I can't see the network at all. I do know how to do
this since my home LAN was statically set for years before I got a
router with a DHCP server, so I'm pretty baffled. I suppose it could
have something to do with my router? Maybe it won't allow static and
dynamically assigned addresses at the same time or something.

-Carl

Malke

libertybasic wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>> Simas Kvilius wrote:
>> > assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp
>> > again.

>> I suggested that he do that but he says it didn't work. Unless he was
>> assigning the IP & DNS to the wrong connection... I don't know what
>> else is left. If the OP doesn't get any more responses here, he
>> should probably have a professional take a look. Someone on-site may
>> be able to fix it in 5 minutes.

> Thanks guys. I did assign the IP address and subnet manually
> according to the valid range my router would accept (I set the range
> myself).
> When I do that I can't see the network at all. I do know how to do
> this since my home LAN was statically set for years before I got a
> router with a DHCP server, so I'm pretty baffled. I suppose it could
> have something to do with my router? Maybe it won't allow static and
> dynamically assigned addresses at the same time or something.
>
> -Carl

All routers will allow statically assigned IP's - just assign the static
IP's outside the DHCP range.

Malke