Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Ulead DvdMF2 : Serious audio sync problem

Ulead DvdMF2 : Serious audio sync problem

EtEroGeNeO

I get mad about this problem.

I put 3 vcd files in 1 dvd-r, with menus, 3 different tracks, audio 48k.

When I "output" on hard disk the project, the audio is out of sync, less
than a second, but out of sync. Obvios that the original mpgeg is right.

I read past posts, updated patchs, defrag hard disk, corrected original
mpgegs with mpgcorrector, but the result is even worse !

Tryied it with TMPenc Dvd Author and the output where right at first strike.

I can't believe I cannot use Movie Factory to do this, I like his easy way
to project dvd, can someone help me ?

Cheers

Jex

Dr. Mercury

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:15:32 +0200, "EtEroGeNeO"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I get mad about this problem.
>
>I put 3 vcd files in 1 dvd-r, with menus, 3 different tracks, audio 48k.

Just to note, there is no such thing as a VCD with a 48KHz audio
track. Nor an SVCD, for that matter. Both use 44.1KHz.

>When I "output" on hard disk the project, the audio is out of sync, less
>than a second, but out of sync. Obvios that the original mpgeg is right.

Not necessarily, in the sense that the movie players are much more
tolerant than the editors and encoders when it comes to small glitches
in the movie.

As far as your problem goes, it might be that it's because the VCDs
were rendered using 23 fps. The two ULead programs, MovieFactory and
Workshop, are both looking for a 29 fps render. They'll accept and
save the 23s without re-encoding them, but the chapter points will be
off when the movie is played back on the DVD player. It's possible
your problem is related.

Try this: Load the MPEG into TMPGEnc, load the DVD-CQ29 template from
this package: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip, and render it.
That's a DVD with a 29 fps rate and no Pulldown. Since you'll
probably have plenty of disc space to spare, open the Settings,
Constant Quality setting and crank the CQ up to 100 for a maximum
quality render.

Hope that works,
Doc

--

For all of your DVD, SVCD and DivX needs: www.svcd.cc
DVD/R info: www.svcd.cc/dvdrinfo.htm

a.b.vcd FAQ: http://abvcd.home.comcast.net/FAQ/abvcdfaq5.01.htm
a.b.vcd.svcd charter: www.svcd.cc/charter.htm

EtEroGeNeO

Thank you very much Dr. Mercury, I'm going to try your preciuos suggests.

Jex

EtEroGeNeO

> Try this: Load the MPEG into TMPGEnc, load the DVD-CQ29 template from
> this package: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip, and render it.
> That's a DVD with a 29 fps rate and no Pulldown. Since you'll
> probably have plenty of disc space to spare, open the Settings,
> Constant Quality setting and crank the CQ up to 100 for a maximum
> quality render.

Thank you very much for suggestions.

Files are rendering just now, a question :

One thing I didn't tell you : I made these 3 files for dvd-r in this way :

Mpeg-1, 352x288, mpegaudio 48khz, size about 1.5mb each, than I put it in
UleadMovieFactory.

I see the template DVD-CQ29 you indicated me is for Mpeg2, I wonder if I
miss something, I fear the size exceed for fit to dvd.

Thank for your help

Jex

Dr. Mercury

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:11:31 +0200, "EtEroGeNeO"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Try this: Load the MPEG into TMPGEnc, load the DVD-CQ29 template from
>> this package: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip, and render it.
>> That's a DVD with a 29 fps rate and no Pulldown. Since you'll
>> probably have plenty of disc space to spare, open the Settings,
>> Constant Quality setting and crank the CQ up to 100 for a maximum
>> quality render.

>Thank you very much for suggestions.
>
>Files are rendering just now, a question :
>
>One thing I didn't tell you : I made these 3 files for dvd-r in this way :
>
>Mpeg-1, 352x288, mpegaudio 48khz, size about 1.5mb each, than I put it in
>UleadMovieFactory.

Nope, that's backwards. What you want to do is use TMPGEnc to render
the movies to DVD specifications, then dump those into the menu-maker
of choice. Otherwise, the menu-maker is going to have to re-encode
things to DVD specs, and it's MUCH better to let TMPGEnc do it.

>I see the template DVD-CQ29 you indicated me is for Mpeg2, I wonder if I
>miss something, I fear the size exceed for fit to dvd.

Well, you've got 4.38 gigs to play with, minus a bit for the
menu-maker's files, so you should have plenty of room. Nor do you
have to crank the CQ slider all the way up to 100% for maximum
quality, producing such large files. Setting it around 90 is still
almost-perfect, and the file sizes will be dramatically lower.

Assuming all three files are the same length in time, what you'd do
would be to render each one to a third of 4.38 gigs, or around 1350
megs. The size is adjusted by the CQ slider. When all three are
around 1350 megs, into the menu-maker they go.

The only difficult part is determining the correct CQ to reach 1350
megs. You can render a part, then use some simple algebra to
determine what the CQ should be to reach the desired size, or you can
give the DVD version of the NIMF a try:

www.svcd.cc/2211/dvdr/formula3.htm

That's for three movies, using 1350 megs as the target goal. What it
does is actually pretty cool, and beats the hell out of the way we've
been using to determine the CQ in the past.

Have fun,
Doc

--

For all of your DVD, SVCD and DivX needs: www.svcd.cc
DVD/R info: www.svcd.cc/dvdrinfo.htm

a.b.vcd FAQ: http://abvcd.home.comcast.net/FAQ/abvcdfaq5.01.htm
a.b.vcd.svcd charter: www.svcd.cc/charter.htm

EtEroGeNeO

Sorry to bother you again,

I tried your way of the 3 files of 1350.

With CQ at 80 I had 2600mb, so that put CQ at 40, thinking it gave me the
half size, but it come out a 2Gb... Why ?

Before I try to go low with CQ I ask if has sense a CQ of 20 or less, may be
the quality if unacceptable ?

Thanx again

Jex

Dr. Mercury

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:17:14 +0200, "EtEroGeNeO"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry to bother you again,
>
>I tried your way of the 3 files of 1350.
>
>With CQ at 80 I had 2600mb, so that put CQ at 40, thinking it gave me the
>half size, but it come out a 2Gb... Why ?

Okay, here's the deal: Using the standard DVD specs of 2000 minimum
bitrate and 8000 max, you can get about two hours on a DVD. If you
see "120 Min" on the jewel box, that's what it means. Most of the
menu-makers are looking for these specs and if they don't see them,
they'll want to re-encode everything.

Some of the menu-makers, however, like SpruceUp and DVDit, are a
little more tolerant of the bitrates (both min and max) and will
process the files as long as two other parameters are met, a 720 x 480
resolution and a 48KHz audio sampling rate.

If you want to put more than around 2 hours on a disc, you have two
choices:

1. Render it below specs and use SpruceUp or DVDit for the authoring.
The stock DVD template locks the minimum bitrate at 2000, which is why
your file was so large. To get around it, use the 'Hybrid' template
in this file: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip. It has the DVD
resolution and audio rate, but the minimum and maximum bitrates are
more along the lines of SVCD specs, allowing much more material to be
put on a disc.

2. Render the movies to SVCD, then use a header patcher to convert
the SVCD headers to DVD specs, thereby fooling the menu-makers into
thinking everything is compliant. This works with most of the
menu-makers, and if you figure 1600 megs per SVCD, then you can slip
two SVCD movies onto one DVD disc, or four hours of movie time. You
can actually get about 2 1/2 movies per disc, but most people don't
want to split up movie halves like that, so we just figure 2 movies
per disc.

When I wrote you yesterday, I was somehow figuring that the three
clips you had were 1-hour TV shows or something, and that using the
stock DVD template would keep them under 1350 megs. If they hit 2
gigs, though, it sounds like they're longer than that, at which point
you cross the line as to what you can put on the DVD using normal
methods & templates, or around 120 minutes of movie time.

Since you haven't rendered anything yet, it would probably be best to
render them to SVCD specs and use the header patchers. That way you
get a wider selection of menu-makers. The two programs I've tested
(and have guides for) are (S)VCD2DVDMPG and DVD Patcher.
(S)VCD2DVDMPG is easier to use but won't work in SpruceUp. DVD
Patcher takes more steps on your part and won't work in MovieFactory.

Hope that helps,
Doc