Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Lawrence of Arabia superbit release

Lawrence of Arabia superbit release

Goldfinger

I wanted to upgrade to the superbit version and was planning on selling my
previous 2 Disc cloth version no Ebay. However, Ebay prices on the cloth
version sucks ranging from $10-$15 only. Anybody know why this OOP delux
edition is not fetching good money on Ebay?

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:47:08 GMT, "Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I wanted to upgrade to the superbit version and was planning on selling my
>previous 2 Disc cloth version no Ebay. However, Ebay prices on the cloth
>version sucks ranging from $10-$15 only. Anybody know why this OOP delux
>edition is not fetching good money on Ebay?

I find that content is more important than packaging on Ebay sales.
The cloth box is nice but the film is readily available....as are
extras..

. Steve .

Mitchell Kaufman

Douglas Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That's not the story I've heard: see the first two paragraphs of the
> review at <http://dvdscan.com/loa.htm> for one source. (I own the
> Criterion CLV set, but I've never seen the image from the Columbia LD
> edition, so my information is secondhand.)

My "source" is a vague recollection of a Perfect Vision interview with
Harris at the time of the release of the LDs. Conversely, I've seen the
Columbia LD and neither of the Criterions; the "word in the street" at
the time was that they were all essentially the same. I can try to
locate the TPV interview, but given my "random access" filing system,
that may be hoping for too much.

> According to RAH's article on The Digital Bits, "It has been confirmed
> that there [is] no new electronic sharpening."

Sounds disturbingly like "no new taxes."

According to Harris, IIRC, two layers of edge enhancement had been
removed for this transfer. Apparently there were three.

> <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris073003.html>
>
> There's been some speculation that the halos are caused by Columbia's
> video encoder itself, rather than added in the transfer stage as the
> result of edge enhancement or other sharpening processes.

Whatever the reason (and yes, it would be interesting to ascertain it),
it does kind of cast a pall over what is otherwise a superlative video
transfer.

At any rate, I'm now happy to say that I can enjoy watching the film
without constantly futzing with the video settings. (Contrast and
brightness are also much better-judged and consistent throughout the new
transfer.)

MK

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)losinit (Mitchell Kaufman) wrote:

> Douglas Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> That's not the story I've heard: see the first two paragraphs
>> of the review at <http://dvdscan.com/loa.htm> for one source.
>> (I own the Criterion CLV set, but I've never seen the image
>> from the Columbia LD edition, so my information is secondhand.)

> My "source" is a vague recollection of a Perfect Vision interview
> with Harris at the time of the release of the LDs. Conversely,
> I've seen the Columbia LD and neither of the Criterions; the
> "word in the street" at the time was that they were all essentially
> the same.

FWIW, that's my recollection as well.

> I can try to locate the TPV interview, but given my "random
> access" filing system, that may be hoping for too much.

I'll see if I can dig out my copy.

-- jayembee

Joshua Zyber

"Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [laserdisc editions of _Lawrence_]
> > My understanding was that the Columbia and Criterion editions were

for
> > all intents and purposes identical visually. Was this not the case?

> That's not the story I've heard: see the first two paragraphs of the
> review at <http://dvdscan.com/loa.htm> for one source.

The fact of the two different transfers is corroborated at:

http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=25080

Sydney Assbasket

>> The one big boo-boo here is the edge enhancement, in the form of a white
>> halo around objects, not always visible, but annoying and distracting
>> when it is. Why, oh why did they feel it necessary to add this to the
>> otherwise superb visuals?

>According to RAH's article on The Digital Bits, "It has been confirmed
>that there [is] no new electronic sharpening."
>
><http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris073003.html>
>
>There's been some speculation that the halos are caused by Columbia's
>video encoder itself, rather than added in the transfer stage as the
>result of edge enhancement or other sharpening processes.

Doesn't this EE supposedly manifest itself more in 2.35:1 transfers than 1.85:1
from Columbia? 2.20:1 is close enough to the former.

Although it could very well be the case, I find it odd that professional studio
equipment or software would automatically add sharpening, without a way of
manually turning it off.

Remove "moc" to reply.

Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
revolving door.
- Willy Walker