Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sleeping Beauty: $14.88 at Walmart.

Sleeping Beauty: $14.88 at Walmart.

Scot Gardner

For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

Scot Gardner

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030909113229.522$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
> Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

callsignviper

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030909223410.057$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20030909113229.522$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
> > Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

> My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

The Wal-Marts in my area are all at $19.62. (

Wal-Mart online is at $17.98. (

Maybe you came across an in-store special???

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Scot Gardner

"callsignviper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W3x7b.17586$(E-Mail Removed) t...
"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030909223410.057$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20030909113229.522$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
> > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

> My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

<<The Wal-Marts in my area are all at $19.62. (>>

<<Wal-Mart online is at $17.98. (>>

<<Maybe you came across an in-store special???>>

I mistakenly thought that all Wal-Marts had the same prices for DVDs.

The Wal-Mart that I am talking about is located in the San Francisco Bay
Area -- with a Costco right across the street. Maybe that's the reason.

This store has been selling a lot of new releases, such as _The Two
Towers_ for under $15. They seem to do this for only a couple of days
after the DVDs are released.

callsignviper

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030910024545.859$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "callsignviper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:W3x7b.17586$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20030909223410.057$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:20030909113229.522$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
> > > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

> > My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

> <<The Wal-Marts in my area are all at $19.62. (>>
>
> <<Wal-Mart online is at $17.98. (>>
>
> <<Maybe you came across an in-store special???>>
>

> I mistakenly thought that all Wal-Marts had the same prices for DVDs.
>
> The Wal-Mart that I am talking about is located in the San Francisco Bay
> Area -- with a Costco right across the street. Maybe that's the reason.
>
> This store has been selling a lot of new releases, such as _The Two
> Towers_ for under $15. They seem to do this for only a couple of days
> after the DVDs are released.

Ah so......I see.

Thanks for the clarification.

Note: There are at least 6 Wal-Mart stores in my city and the prices on many
items vary from store to store. The variance is anywhere from a few cents to
several dollars. One would think all the Wal-Marts in the same city would be
at the same price for their merchandise.....but that isn't the case here.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Mike Jackson

> Note: There are at least 6 Wal-Mart stores in my city and the prices on
many
> items vary from store to store. The variance is anywhere from a few cents

> several dollars. One would think all the Wal-Marts in the same city would

be
> at the same price for their merchandise.....but that isn't the case here.

There's two stores in my area, and I asked one of them about that. They said
that they compete with each other. They'll price match against each other
too; just have the register jockey give the other store a call and check the
price and availability.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Webmaster, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Stan Brown

In article <dDA7b.407191$o%2.185000@sccrnsc02> in alt.video.dvd,
callsignviper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Note: There are at least 6 Wal-Mart stores in my city and the prices on many
>items vary from store to store. The variance is anywhere from a few cents to
>several dollars. One would think all the Wal-Marts in the same city would be
>at the same price for their merchandise.....but that isn't the case here.

I read somewhere that they consciously target prices to compete with
nearby stores. That would explain why prices would vary even within
one metropolitan area: different Wal-marts are competing (in their
business plan) with different sets of stores.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Zimmy

You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart.
The chance that 90% of the real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030909113229.522$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
> Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

Scot Gardner

"Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjnsi5$lbceh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20030909113229.522$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
> > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

<<You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart. The chance that 90% of the
real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.>>

Yes, I must agree that this store is indeed a "magic" Wal-Mart. On
Tuesday, I called the store at 9AM (because that is the time that they
used to open the doors) and within 2 minutes I knew that they had at
least 50 copies of _Sleeping Beauty_ on sale for $14.77. (I made the
mistake of posting the price as $14.88.)

This has been an education for me, since I very rarely go to Wal-Mart
and this particular store is the only one that I frequent. I thought I
was doing the newsgroup a service by posting what could possibly be the
lowest price for _Sleeping Beauty_. This Wal-Mart also has the $5.88 DVD
bargain bin -- which I have also discovered is not present in all
Wal-Mart stores.

My local Wal-Mart is definitely not the place to shop for all DVDs,
since the selection is very limited. However, this store continually
prices the major new DVD releases under $15. The other main attraction
to this Wal-Mart is that it is now open from 7AM to 11PM. Costco doesn't
open until 10AM for business members and 11AM for non-business members.

This "magic" Wal-Mart is almost too good to be true.

Davy

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:09:02 -0700, "Scot Gardner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
>> > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

><<You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart. The chance that 90% of the
>real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.>>

A "magic" Walmart is one which has not yet driven all the "mom & pop"
store competition in the area out of business and has especially good
prices in order to do that. Once this happens (over a number of years)
and only chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City remain, then
suddenly the "magic" will end and your Walmart will become like my
Walmart where Sleeping Beauty is $19.97 on release week but you could
price match to Best Buy for $17.99. The only time my non-magic Walmart
has a new release DVD for under $15 (i.e. $14.8 is when a competitor
has a current ad specifically listing that price in the ad. With Best
Buy and Circuit City purposefully using "low price" or "hot price"
instead of listing actual prices, that means Walmart does not have to
match the price on those items and will charge much higher than
$14.88.

My Walmart has had the $5.88 DVD bin for as long as I can remember,
and my Walmart is open 24-hour Walmart, but its prices on DVDs are
rarely good. Enjoy your magic Walmart while it lasts.