Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Editing commercials from DVD recordings off TV....

Editing commercials from DVD recordings off TV....

Joseph S. Powell, III

I currently have a Sony DVP NC600 5-disc changer, and am planning on
purchasing a DVD recorder within the next 6 months - from what I understand,
DVD-RAM and DVD RW are the formats one would choose to record over and over
in order to reuse a disc.
If I used one of the above formats, would I be able to play them back in my
older DVD player in order to dub the shows to the DVD recorder and edit out
the commercials in the same way one would do it with two VCR's, or is my
Current DVD changer (purchased in late 2001) incapable of playing those
formats of DVD recordings?
I'm pretty sure it would play DVD-R, but that kind of defeats the point as
that is a record-once format.

FredBillie

<< From: "Joseph S. Powell, III" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Date: Tue, Sep 9, 2003 2:41 AM

I currently have a Sony DVP NC600 5-disc changer, and am planning on
purchasing a DVD recorder within the next 6 months - from what I understand,
DVD-RAM and DVD RW are the formats one would choose to record over and over
in order to reuse a disc.
If I used one of the above formats, would I be able to play them back in my
older DVD player in order to dub the shows to the DVD recorder and edit out
the commercials in the same way one would do it with two VCR's, or is my
Current DVD changer (purchased in late 2001) incapable of playing those
formats of DVD recordings?
I'm pretty sure it would play DVD-R, but that kind of defeats the point as
that is a record-once format.
>><BR><BR>

??? Life is not that complicated. Just get a Panasonic DMR-E80H which has an 80
GIG Hard Drive and the ability to burn to DVD-R and DVD-Ram. Record to your
hard drive and there is a built in “Shorten Segment” feature that will make
it so easy to delete the commercials you will wonder how you ever lived without
it. You get burn to a DVD-R and produce CLEAN, Commercial free copies.

Ain’t life grand?

Matt Ackeret

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joseph S. Powell, III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I currently have a Sony DVP NC600 5-disc changer, and am planning on
>purchasing a DVD recorder within the next 6 months - from what I understand,
>DVD-RAM and DVD RW are the formats one would choose to record over and over
>in order to reuse a disc.
>If I used one of the above formats, would I be able to play them back in my
>older DVD player in order to dub the shows to the DVD recorder and edit out
>the commercials in the same way one would do it with two VCR's, or is my
>Current DVD changer (purchased in late 2001) incapable of playing those
>formats of DVD recordings?

Your existing DVD player will definitely not play DVD-RAM.

I don't know about DVD-RW. (But I think DVD-RAM is a better format for
rewritable use.)

However, I suggest you look into one of the recorders that has a hard drive.

That way, you can record to the hard drive, edit it, and dub to DVD
without the commercials.. Way less hassle than what you're proposing.

The recorder I've been following most, the Panasonic DMR-E80, is just a bit
above $500 now, including shipping. (These are online prices. It's probably
much more in stores.)

Joseph S. Powell, III

"FredBillie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << From: "Joseph S. Powell, III" (E-Mail Removed)
> Date: Tue, Sep 9, 2003 2:41 AM
>
> I currently have a Sony DVP NC600 5-disc changer, and am planning on
> purchasing a DVD recorder within the next 6 months - from what I

understand,
> DVD-RAM and DVD RW are the formats one would choose to record over and

over
> in order to reuse a disc.
> If I used one of the above formats, would I be able to play them back in

my
> older DVD player in order to dub the shows to the DVD recorder and edit

out
> the commercials in the same way one would do it with two VCR's, or is my
> Current DVD changer (purchased in late 2001) incapable of playing those
> formats of DVD recordings?
> I'm pretty sure it would play DVD-R, but that kind of defeats the point as
> that is a record-once format.
> >><BR><BR>

> ??? Life is not that complicated. Just get a Panasonic DMR-E80H which has

an 80
> GIG Hard Drive and the ability to burn to DVD-R and DVD-Ram. Record to

your
> hard drive and there is a built in "Shorten Segment" feature that will

make
> it so easy to delete the commercials you will wonder how you ever lived

without
> it. You get burn to a DVD-R and produce CLEAN, Commercial free copies.
>
> Ain't life grand?

Apparently so, as I've taken your advice, finally putting my Tweeter card to
use - it works great and I've created a couple of DVD-R's from LD's that are
not available on DVD (for my own personal use as DVD-R's are easier to
handle than LD's and my LD player does not posess the ability to pause on
CLV discs, not to mention I don't have to flip the disc when the automatic
side changer doesn't work ), now I'd like to find out how to dub music
videos to a CDR - that is, I like to record music videos from VH1Classic and
FF through them to pick and choose the ones I wish to archive - before, I
did this with two VCR's, now I need to find a way to do it with my new
DVD-HDD recorder.
I've tried it my old way but that doesn't seem to work - am I going to have
to isolate the particular videos that I want on my Playlist as individual
programs, and just collect a couple of hours worth and then dub them to a
DVD-R, or is there a simpler way?
From what I understand, there seems to be no way to pause the DVD-R
recording when recording from the HDD, ie it has to be done as one complete
dub - if you've found another way, please tell me!

FredBillie

<< From: "Joseph S. Powell, III" (E-Mail Removed)
Date: Wed, Sep 10, 2003 4:00 PM

"FredBillie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << From: "Joseph S. Powell, III" (E-Mail Removed)
> Date: Tue, Sep 9, 2003 2:41 AM
>
> I currently have a Sony DVP NC600 5-disc changer, and am planning on
> purchasing a DVD recorder within the next 6 months - from what I

understand,
> DVD-RAM and DVD RW are the formats one would choose to record over and

over
> in order to reuse a disc.
> If I used one of the above formats, would I be able to play them back in

my
> older DVD player in order to dub the shows to the DVD recorder and edit

out
> the commercials in the same way one would do it with two VCR's, or is my
> Current DVD changer (purchased in late 2001) incapable of playing those
> formats of DVD recordings?
> I'm pretty sure it would play DVD-R, but that kind of defeats the point as
> that is a record-once format.
> >>

> ??? Life is not that complicated. Just get a Panasonic DMR-E80H which has

an 80
> GIG Hard Drive and the ability to burn to DVD-R and DVD-Ram. Record to

your
> hard drive and there is a built in "Shorten Segment" feature that will

make
> it so easy to delete the commercials you will wonder how you ever lived

without
> it. You get burn to a DVD-R and produce CLEAN, Commercial free copies.
>
> Ain't life grand?

Apparently so, as I've taken your advice, finally putting my Tweeter card to
use - it works great and I've created a couple of DVD-R's from LD's that are
not available on DVD (for my own personal use as DVD-R's are easier to
handle than LD's and my LD player does not posess the ability to pause on
CLV discs, not to mention I don't have to flip the disc when the automatic
side changer doesn't work ), now I'd like to find out how to dub music
videos to a CDR - that is, I like to record music videos from VH1Classic and
FF through them to pick and choose the ones I wish to archive - before, I
did this with two VCR's, now I need to find a way to do it with my new
DVD-HDD recorder.
I've tried it my old way but that doesn't seem to work - am I going to have
to isolate the particular videos that I want on my Playlist as individual
programs, and just collect a couple of hours worth and then dub them to a
DVD-R, or is there a simpler way?
From what I understand, there seems to be no way to pause the DVD-R
recording when recording from the HDD, ie it has to be done as one complete
dub - if you've found another way, please tell me!
>><BR><BR>

With Music Videos I simply record a one, two, or three hour session and then
use the “Shorten Segment” feature to delete the Music Videos I don’t
want. Fairly easy process and no more difficult than removing commercials.