Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > My comp keeps restarting!

My comp keeps restarting!

Venom

Hi!

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D on my pc and about 50% of every dvd-burning
results in a restart before the DVD is finished! Could this be a power
problem? I need a more powerfull PSU maybe? My other Specs:

Amd T-bird 1,3Ghz
Sapphire Radeon 9700Pro 128mb (very power consuming I think )
1024 SDRAM
Sound Blaster Live! Player 5.1

--
"If something is hard to do than it's not worth doing"

-Homer S.

Darrel Christenson

Venom wrote:

> I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D on my pc and about 50% of every dvd-burning
> results in a restart before the DVD is finished! Could this be a power
> problem? I need a more powerfull PSU maybe? My other Specs:

I have the same problem with my 105 trying to burn at 4x.

After a week of experimenting with hardware, system settings,
driver updates, and several calls to Pioneer who bumped me up
their engineering dept several times, I know the problem but
cannot determine a solution...

.... if yours is the same, you can't burn at 4x using dma. If
you change to pio it will work but take a fairly long time.
If you burn at 1x you can use dma and in fact it will burn
faster than 4x using pio.

At the moment I'm working my way through my 4x to get done
with them and them I'll just use 1x for the time being and
wait till I get around to upgrading my system and then see
if the issue goes away.

If you call Pioneer you might mention you know of other people
with the problem and maybe it'll finally get enough attention
they will look into it and figure out what the heck is going
on.

Darrel

Rictor

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:45:40 +0200, "Venom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Faulty software/drivers --maybe it's not compatible?

faulty ram, motherboard, processor--those can cause random restarts as
well as software/drivers issues download a program that stresses your
CPU that way you can tell if it's the burning process or if it happens
when your cpu is stressed. I forget the name of the one I've used if
I remember it i'll post it

>Hi!
>
>I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D on my pc and about 50% of every dvd-burning
>results in a restart before the DVD is finished! Could this be a power
>problem? I need a more powerfull PSU maybe? My other Specs:
>
>Amd T-bird 1,3Ghz
>Sapphire Radeon 9700Pro 128mb (very power consuming I think )
>1024 SDRAM
>Sound Blaster Live! Player 5.1

Anonymous Joe

Here's a thought, why would your PC only reboot during the burn?

What happens when you try to "rip" one of your successful burns? You should
actually be reading faster than you wrote, thus the drive spins more,
logically consuming more power. If it reboots then, it is because of PSU,
likely.

Try underclocking your CPU down to about 1GHz or so through the BIOS (I hope
yours isn't so old it uses jumpers/DIPs . I would find it odd that that
can solve anything, but if it does, then there is some sort of power issue,
that wasn't found from reading, perhaps, because the laser needs more power
to write than to read, so lowering the CPU clock lowers the CPU input power,
thus alleviating the output from the PSU, allocating the extra released
power to the DVD drive.

Then again, it can be the software/driver/ram thing....

"Rictor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:45:40 +0200, "Venom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Faulty software/drivers --maybe it's not compatible?
>
> faulty ram, motherboard, processor--those can cause random restarts as
> well as software/drivers issues download a program that stresses your
> CPU that way you can tell if it's the burning process or if it happens
> when your cpu is stressed. I forget the name of the one I've used if
> I remember it i'll post it
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D on my pc and about 50% of every

dvd-burning
> >results in a restart before the DVD is finished! Could this be a power
> >problem? I need a more powerfull PSU maybe? My other Specs:
> >
> >Amd T-bird 1,3Ghz
> >Sapphire Radeon 9700Pro 128mb (very power consuming I think )
> >1024 SDRAM
> >Sound Blaster Live! Player 5.1

DarkMatter

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:13:08 GMT, "Anonymous Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>Here's a thought, why would your PC only reboot during the burn?
>
>What happens when you try to "rip" one of your successful burns? You should
>actually be reading faster than you wrote, thus the drive spins more,
>logically consuming more power. If it reboots then, it is because of PSU,
>likely.
>
>Try underclocking your CPU down to about 1GHz or so through the BIOS (I hope
>yours isn't so old it uses jumpers/DIPs .

It is more likely a memory issue, rather than a cpu speed issue.
Clueless, you are. Could also be a DMA issue... again... memory
related.