Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: NETFLIX branded rental DVDs?

Re: NETFLIX branded rental DVDs?

makcda

This is just a guess, but maybe this is a way for the studios to start
charging higher fees for "rental only" DVD's to rental companies, sort
of like they did for VHS. For instance, they can license "rental
only" copies and charge $100 per copy and have "for sale only" copies
for $20 per copy.

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bigtdl$me8$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Vincent Vega wrote:
>
> > When did this start happening? I don't remember reading anything here
> > about it. I just got the LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS DVD from
> > Netflix today and on the front of the disc it reads "NETFLIX - Rental
> > Only - Not for Resale".

> Netflix's brand label started happening when the "new" Netflix wanted to
> fill in some previously unavailable Anchor Bay titles--
> (Seeing as titles have to be licensed from the studio/distributor, and
> Acquisition can't just go down to Best Buy for a copy.)
>
> Now seems to be common for smaller companies, and for preventing
> customers selling off used copies.
>
> Derek Janssen

Jeeters

That would go against the known deals Netflix has with several studios where
these studios are giving titles to Netflix for *less* than usual cost, if
not even free (and Netflix is giving them a small kickback everytime the
title is rented). imho, the branding is just a theft&resale deterrent.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

WME branded??? Vinella DVD Video 2 02-07-2006 03:11 PM
Branded (TM) Skills gerrards8@yahoo.com Java 1 09-01-2005 10:35 PM
Is the Initial IDM-1731 the same DVD player that's "branded" by other manufacturers? C. Osbourne DVD Video 2 10-18-2004 08:44 AM
Rental DVDs: "Rental Only - Not For Resale." One-Shot Scot DVD Video 0 09-11-2004 07:41 PM
Online Petition for Netscape-branded Mozilla releases.... Jim Prather Computer Support 9 11-26-2003 06:32 PM

Advertisments