Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "The Meaning of Life" Problems with the transfer?

"The Meaning of Life" Problems with the transfer?

The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

Today, I picked up the new special edition 2 disc set of "Monty Python's
The Meaning of Life" and I am not happy with the quality of the film,
not at all.

Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you
folks on here use, but I'll say that the picture seems to come apart
leaving a sort of residual effect of people and things that they were
there a few micro-seconds before (breaking up into pixels but mostly in
a horizontal fashion) and this happens whenever someone moves, there are
lines, dirt, and scratches on the print too.
Unacceptable.

Now, to be sure there wasn't a problem with my DVD player, I inserted a
few other discs (15000 Holey points if you can guess the film I tested)
as well as the second "Meaning of Life" disc that features the
documentaries and such, and encountered no such problems.

Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

Mr. H***

Mr. H***'s Golden Shower Site for the month of September:
http://www.misterpoll.com/470303569.html
(For when a Hallmark card and saying "I love you Mom" is never enough.)

Dunf

"The Magically Delicious Mr. H***" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Today, I picked up the new special edition 2 disc set of "Monty Python's
> The Meaning of Life" and I am not happy with the quality of the film,
> not at all.
>
> Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
> purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
> in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you
> folks on here use, but I'll say that the picture seems to come apart
> leaving a sort of residual effect of people and things that they were
> there a few micro-seconds before (breaking up into pixels but mostly in
> a horizontal fashion) and this happens whenever someone moves, there are
> lines, dirt, and scratches on the print too.
> Unacceptable.
>
> Now, to be sure there wasn't a problem with my DVD player, I inserted a
> few other discs (15000 Holey points if you can guess the film I tested)
> as well as the second "Meaning of Life" disc that features the
> documentaries and such, and encountered no such problems.
>
> Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?
>

> ..
> Mr. H***
>
> Mr. H***'s Golden Shower Site for the month of September:
> http://www.misterpoll.com/470303569.html
> (For when a Hallmark card and saying "I love you Mom" is never enough.)

ONce again the buyer gets UNIVERSALly ****ed with this so called new
transfer.

Ben Nunn

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was The Magically Delicious Mr. H***
((E-Mail Removed)), in message
(E-Mail Removed)...wson.webtv.net who said:

> Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

Yes.

Very jittery picture - looks like the NTSC framerate isn't converting nicely
at all.

I own around 100 other Region 1/NTSC discs, and I've only encountered this
problem once before.

I'm finding it painful to watch - good to know that I'm not alone - and hope
that they'll issue replacements, as this is unacceptable for a 'special
edition'.

Again, no probs with disc 2.

BTN

Greg King

The Digital Bits (www.thedigitalbit.com) mentioned problem reports.

Greg

In article <bjcm8r$hkie1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Ben Nunn
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was The Magically Delicious Mr. H***
> ((E-Mail Removed)), in message
> (E-Mail Removed)...wson.webtv.net who said:
>
> > Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

> Yes.
>
> Very jittery picture - looks like the NTSC framerate isn't converting nicely
> at all.
>
> I own around 100 other Region 1/NTSC discs, and I've only encountered this
> problem once before.
>
> I'm finding it painful to watch - good to know that I'm not alone - and hope
> that they'll issue replacements, as this is unacceptable for a 'special
> edition'.
>
> Again, no probs with disc 2.
>
> BTN

Jaime M. de Castellvi

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:45:14 -0400 (EDT), (E-Mail Removed) (The
Magically Delicious Mr. H***) wrote:

>Today, I picked up the new special edition 2 disc set of "Monty Python's
>The Meaning of Life" and I am not happy with the quality of the film,
>not at all.
>
>Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
>purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
>in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you
>folks on here use, but I'll say that the picture seems to come apart
>leaving a sort of residual effect of people and things that they were
>there a few micro-seconds before (breaking up into pixels but mostly in
>a horizontal fashion) and this happens whenever someone moves, there are
>lines, dirt, and scratches on the print too.
>Unacceptable.
>
>Now, to be sure there wasn't a problem with my DVD player, I inserted a
>few other discs (15000 Holey points if you can guess the film I tested)
>as well as the second "Meaning of Life" disc that features the
>documentaries and such, and encountered no such problems.
>
>Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

Bunch of people apparently have, judging from the replies.

Thank you very much for letting us know, Mr. Hole. Be a while before
I can afford many special edition DVDs, but now I'll be sure not to
purchase that one at any event until they get their act together.

Hmmm, I've never had a DVD taster working for me before, but now I
find the idea highly appealing. Would you be my DVD taster, Mr. Hole,
to ensure I don't get myself unduly poisoned by slightly untasteful
special (or any, actually) editions?

On another note, knowing what a big movie buff you are, I've been
craving to hear your opinion about _The Thirteenth Warrior_ as a
movie. Would you kindly tell me?

Cheers,

Jaime

mmoskovitz@smwinc.com

I tried to watch the first disc in the set last night on my Daewoo
3000 bedroom DVD player and 19" monitor and saw the horizontal
streeeking when there was on screen movement. I did notice that the
commentary track wasn't subtitled. I've watched a few British Region
2 DVDs lately and it's great when all the soundtracks are subtitled so
as not to disturb sleeping babies and spouses.

Back to Python. I endured 30 minutes of streaking and tried it in the
living room Cyberhome CH-402 and 26" monitor and everything looked
fine. I'll try it on my ancient first generation Pioneer DVD/LD
combination player tonight and post tomorrow.

Regards, Michael

Darren DeWolfe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

> I tried to watch the first disc in the set last night on my Daewoo
> 3000 bedroom DVD player and 19" monitor and saw the horizontal
> streeeking when there was on screen movement. ...and tried it in the
> living room Cyberhome CH-402 and 26" monitor and everything looked
> fine.

I have noticed it as well when I play it in my machine. I don't have
another DVD player to try it in. I have read a few more accounts of
this probem and suppose a recall will be announced eventually. What
with problems with "Back to the Future" DVDs, recalled "Duel" DVDs and
now this it would it would seem that Universal is having a bad year. :>

>D<

Erik Harris

Delicious Mr. H***) wrote:

>Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
>purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
>in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you

Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago, and got
through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to get into the rest
of the movie when we were interrupted by three phone calls in a row. By the
time they were done, we didn't have time to watch the movie and get a decent
amount of sleep for work Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the
portion that I watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and other
people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it in my computer
and see what it looks like.

--
Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

Max Volume

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Erik Harris
<n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:

> Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago, and got
> through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to get into the rest
> of the movie when we were interrupted by three phone calls in a row. By the
> time they were done, we didn't have time to watch the movie and get a decent
> amount of sleep for work Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the
> portion that I watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
> Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and other
> people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it in my computer
> and see what it looks like.

Some have said they don't experience a problem, although they may just
not notice it. I tried the disc on my iMac as well as my cheap APEX
player and analog 27" TV, and the effect was actually WORSE on the
iMac.

Blarg

Max Volume wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Erik Harris
> <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:
>

>>Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago, and got
>>through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to get into the rest
>>of the movie when we were interrupted by three phone calls in a row. By the
>>time they were done, we didn't have time to watch the movie and get a decent
>>amount of sleep for work Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the
>>portion that I watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
>>Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and other
>>people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it in my computer
>>and see what it looks like.

> Some have said they don't experience a problem, although they may just
> not notice it.

I beginning to think most people are just frikkin blind or retarded! How
this basic field sequencing error ever made it past the so called
"professional compressionists" working at Universal is unbelievable!!
This is a real error on the disk itself and should definitely be obvious
to anyone who understands video. If you don't see this problem on your
player then a) your player sucks, b) your blind or c) you have
Attention Deficit Disorder.

In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select the
"lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
(bloody f-ing morons)....