Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Firefly in December...

Firefly in December...

Jordan Lund

OK, so I'm probably the only person looking forward to this... I
actually liked the Fox show before it got screwed over by baseball...

(News on DVD is in the final paragraph.)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...v_eo/12442&e=1

- Jordan

Jeeters

"Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> OK, so I'm probably the only person looking forward to this... I
> actually liked the Fox show...

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'll admit to finding the first aired
show sorta boring, but I stuck with it and ended up loving the show. I heard
some time ago about the upcoming DVDs and am looking forward to them
(especially since they'll have the three unaired episodes).

> ...before it got screwed over by baseball...

Fox botched the show over big time. The first aired episode was not
Whedon's original pilot but was another two hour episode he intended to air
later during sweeps. The original 2 hr pilot was aired as the last show and
several of the other episodes were aired completely out of order.

Brandon Fisher

"Jeeters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fox botched the show over big time. The first aired episode was not
> Whedon's original pilot but was another two hour episode he intended to

air
> later during sweeps. The original 2 hr pilot was aired as the last show

and
> several of the other episodes were aired completely out of order.

The first aired episode wasn't a two hour episode. It wasn't ever intended
to air during sweeps, either. The first aired episode, "The Train Job", was
supposed to be the 2nd episode aired (if you're counting the 2 hour pilot as
one episode).

Andrew Venor

Jordan Lund wrote:

> OK, so I'm probably the only person looking forward to this... I
> actually liked the Fox show before it got screwed over by baseball...
>
> (News on DVD is in the final paragraph.)
>
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...v_eo/12442&e=1
>
> - Jordan

Cool. I'll be in my bunk.

- Jayne Cobb

Ped Xing

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jordan Lund) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

Doh, guess I should read the link before posting. I thought you were just
posting news about the DVDs.

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) (Jordan Lund) wrote:

> OK, so I'm probably the only person looking forward to this...

Trust me. You aren't. There are a *hell* of a lot more people
eagerly awaiting it than you realize.

-- jayembee

Steve Knoblock

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jordan Lund) wrote:
>
> > OK, so I'm probably the only person looking forward to this...

> Trust me. You aren't. There are a *hell* of a lot more people
> eagerly awaiting it than you realize.

The concept was and is a great idea although some of the writing seemed to
overuse sagebrush cliche's.

Steve

AceoHearts

I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I have recently realized
something about the show. It reminds me ALOT of the anime series Cowboy
Bebop. A space western with comedy and some romance thrown in. Maybe it is
just me.

AceoHearts

Invid Fan

In article <dau6b.40255$(E-Mail Removed)>, AceoHearts
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I have recently realized
> something about the show. It reminds me ALOT of the anime series Cowboy
> Bebop. A space western with comedy and some romance thrown in. Maybe it is
> just me.

It's actually a little closer to Outlaw Star, another anime released in
the US about the same time as Bebop. That was the series mentioned in
the usual "they stole the plot from an anime!" threads.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Jordan Lund

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<060920032131438946%(E-Mail Removed)>...

> It's actually a little closer to Outlaw Star, another anime released in
> the US about the same time as Bebop. That was the series mentioned in
> the usual "they stole the plot from an anime!" threads.

The idea of cowboys in space is way older than anime, and there are a
few really good novelized versions...

I suggest the Matador books by Steve Perry (which are now back in
print! YAY!) as well as Perry's two "Stellar Ranger" novels which may
or may not be back in print.

- Jordan