Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Walt Disney Treasures Releases for 2003

Walt Disney Treasures Releases for 2003

Andrew Krieg

I really hope all 4 of these make it out this year (last year only 3 were
released). Amazon.com has cover photos of all but the Mickey set, so keep
your fingers crossed. They are scheduled to be released on December 2nd.

Chronological Donald - It was 1934 when the irascible Donald Duck came to
life in a teeny bit of a part in "The Wise Little Hen" and proceeded to
steal the show. From that point on nobody could hold him back. Now for the
first time, you can enjoy Donald in all of his solo starring shorts from
"Donald and Pluto" in 1936 to "Chef Donald" in 1941. This volume also
includes a tribute to the man who achieved immortality by inventing the
voice of Donald Duck - and performing as his alter ego for 50 years -
Clarence "Ducky" Nash. Featuring exclusive introductions by film historian
Leonard Maltin.

I have not seen a complete list of what is being included in this set. Here
are the Donald shorts that were released between 1936 and 1941. Some of
Donald's earliest shorts (like "Donald and Pluto") were actually packaged as
Mickey Mouse releases.

Donald and Pluto (MM short)
Don Donald (MM short)
Donald's Ostrich
Modern Inventions
Donald's Better Self
Polar Trappers
Donald's Golf Game
Donald's Nephews
Self Control
Good Scouts
Sea Scouts
Beach Picnic
The Autograph Hound
Donald's Cousin Gus
Officer Duck
Donald's Penguin
Hockey Champ
Donald's Lucky Day
Billposters
Donald's Vacation
Donald's Dog Laundry
Window Cleaners
Fire Chief
The Riveter
Mr. Duck Steps Out
Put-Put Troubles
Truant Officer Donald
Donald's Camera
Golden Eggs
Timber
Old MacDonald Duck
Chef Donald
Early to Bed
A Good Time for a Dime

Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 2 - Walt Disney's mighty Mickey Mouse
gets colorful in this second collection boasting 21 of his classic cartoons.
The selections include "Society Dog Show" (1939), "Tugboat Mickey" (1940),
"The Little Whirlwind" (1941), "Mickey's Birthday Party" (1942), "Mickey's
Christmas Carol" (1983), and "Runaway Brain" (1995).

On the Front Lines - On December 8, 1941, the Disney Studio was taken over
by the military as part of the war effort. Walt Disney spent the next four
years creating and producing training, propaganda and educational films for
the Armed Forces. In addition to these films, this extraordinary volume
also includes the full-length feature "Victory Through Air Power." Released
theatrically in 1943, this powerful propaganda film has never been reissued
until now. You'll also see recently discovered on-the-set footage, and get
rare firsthand accounts about the work and culture at the Disney Studio in
interviews with Disney Legends Joe Grant, John Hench, and Roy Disney.
Featuring exclusive introductions by film historian Leonard Maltin.

I have not seen what is planned for this set. I hope we get some of the
commercial and government shorts starring the Disney characters such as "The
Thrifty Pig", "The New Spirit", "Donald's Decision", "The Seven Wise Dwarfs"
and "Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Firing Line". Disney also produced
around 90 technical shorts for various branches of the armed services.
Perhaps we will see a sampling of some of these, with titles such as "Tuning
Transmitters", "Battle of Russia", "Aircraft Welding" and "Aircraft Carrier
Landing Signals".

Tommorowland - Walt Disney was a true visionary, and his most far-reaching
vision examined the future. Go back in time to the beginning of the future
and enjoy four episodes and a theatrical short that delve into the mysteries
of the universe and space travel - "Man in Space", "Man and the Moon", "Mars
and Beyond", "Eyes in Outer Space", and "Our Friend the Atom." You'll also
get a rare look at Walt's last film, "Epcot", in which he reveals his
concepts and plans for the Disney World and EPCOT projects. Other
not-to-be-missed features include a special interview with noted futurist
and author Ray Bradbury. Featuring exclusive introductions by film historian
Leonard Maltin.

It's too bad Ward Kimball didn't live to see this set, most of which he
directed. Hopefully, there will be archive interviews with him about these
outstanding programs.

--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =

Scot Gardner

"Andrew Krieg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Thanks for the post. The two titles which are of most interest to me are
_One The Front Lines_ and _Tomorrowland_.

I hope Costco continues to carry the Disney boxed sets. If not, the
Amazon prices seem reasonable and Amazon has never disappointed me.

Stephen Cooke

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Andrew Krieg wrote:

> On the Front Lines - On December 8, 1941, the Disney Studio was taken over
> by the military as part of the war effort. Walt Disney spent the next four
> years creating and producing training, propaganda and educational films for
> the Armed Forces. In addition to these films, this extraordinary volume
> also includes the full-length feature "Victory Through Air Power." Released
> theatrically in 1943, this powerful propaganda film has never been reissued
> until now. You'll also see recently discovered on-the-set footage, and get
> rare firsthand accounts about the work and culture at the Disney Studio in
> interviews with Disney Legends Joe Grant, John Hench, and Roy Disney.
> Featuring exclusive introductions by film historian Leonard Maltin.
>
> I have not seen what is planned for this set. I hope we get some of the
> commercial and government shorts starring the Disney characters such as "The
> Thrifty Pig", "The New Spirit", "Donald's Decision", "The Seven Wise Dwarfs"
> and "Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Firing Line". Disney also produced
> around 90 technical shorts for various branches of the armed services.
> Perhaps we will see a sampling of some of these, with titles such as "Tuning
> Transmitters", "Battle of Russia", "Aircraft Welding" and "Aircraft Carrier
> Landing Signals".

I've heard that the jaw-dropping Education For Death: The Making of a Nazi
will be included (this short has to be seen to be believed..."The rabbit
must die! He is weak!") and presumably the Oscar-winning Der Furher's Face
will finally see the light of day. Certainly there is a wealth of material
in the vaults for this set, and it should be a beauty if they do it up
right. Spirit of '42, which has Donald being asked to pay his taxes on
time for the war effort is also worth having in first generation form
(after years of lousy bootlegs). Buy a stamp or bond and sink that skunk
across the pond!

swac

G. M. Watson

----------
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Andrew
Krieg) wrote:

> Tommorowland - Walt Disney was a true visionary, and his most far-reaching
> vision examined the future. Go back in time to the beginning of the future
> and enjoy four episodes and a theatrical short that delve into the mysteries
> of the universe and space travel - "Man in Space", "Man and the Moon", "Mars
> and Beyond", "Eyes in Outer Space", and "Our Friend the Atom." You'll also
> get a rare look at Walt's last film, "Epcot", in which he reveals his
> concepts and plans for the Disney World and EPCOT projects. Other
> not-to-be-missed features include a special interview with noted futurist
> and author Ray Bradbury. Featuring exclusive introductions by film historian
> Leonard Maltin.

What, no "Captain Eo"?!? For shame!